Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I need help on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!

I need help on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!
My DH and I love the Look of Country and we want to decorate our Home in a Country Decor Look!! We are on a really tight budget and we would like some helpful advice and tips if you all have any on Decorating Frugally with Country Decor!!
Thank you all in advance for all of your help!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 03-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question A couple questions

Have you figured out your colors? What style of country? A folk, french, english,americana......? Or are you going by a theme? Flowers, plaids,teddy bears.....? Sorta the same but differnet. What type floors do you have? Are your walls painted or paneled?

Paint, window treatments, artwork and floor treatment are basically the main things to thing of. In that you have to get your furniture to work. Although your furniture should influence the others.

Paint can be very inexpensive. Look for mistints. Even if you need more then what is there you can get more paint to match and still be getting a good saving.Or you can make your own milk paint for a true country paint, this has to be sealed.
Make sure your paint is a scubable paint. If you are painting your ceilings do yourself and don't use a ceiling paint. Choose either a kitchen/bathroom paint or an egg shell paint. It will last years longer then the ceiling paint and you can actually wash it. This is especially helpfull if you burn candles.

I'm not too sure what else to say without knowing the answers to the questions I asked earlier.

Keep an eye on yard sales, thrift stores, pawn shops for different accents/ideas.
Have fun
Old 03-09-2002, 04:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re: I need help on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!

The colors of our home are White Walls in all of the room except the Kitchen , The Master Bath and, The Bathroom in those rooms the walls have wallpaper with mediumblue,some medium rose colors, and some medium green colors as well in all the wallpaper(The Background on the Wallpaper is White)!!Our Carpet is medium green in all the bedrooms!! In the Kitchen, Laundry room,Master Bedroom Closet, Master Bathroom, & Bathroom has White linoliem with medium green squares in the pattern of the floor!! What style of country? The country style we would use we have not really decided yet !! We are kinda of leaning more towards folk, americanna, and english !! We have not really found the perfect style for us we are just working around what we have and then we will see what we like and seems to look good in our home!! Thank you for all of your help!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 03-09-2002, 05:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re: Re: I need help on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CAGmomof2
[We have not really found the perfect style for us we are just working around what we have and then we will see what we like and seems to look good in our home!!
[/B]
Sounds like you are doing the right thing! The main thing to remember is YOU live there. It has to comfortable and functional to you.

Rose, blue ,green and white, good color palate.
If you are partial to the white walls and want to keep them try adding a border, either stenciled or paper, to add color to your walls.
Think maybe of some chair rails in kitchen/dining room.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I found some cute ideas at this website:

http://www.mrsbunny.com/archives.htm

Also check out these ideas:

http://www.thefamilycorner.com/archives/desrep/1.shtml

http://www.thefamilycorner.com/homeg...makeover.shtml

http://www.decoratorsecrets.com/wi/cl_o.gif

Hope these help!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re: I need help on decorating our home in Country Decor Frugally

I just wanted to thank you all for your help on giving me tips, advice, and websites on how to decorate our home in Country Decor Frugally!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Still looking for country decorating help?

I may be embarrassing myself here but this IS the frugal site so here I go.....I decorated my entire kitchen almost completely from dollar stores. LOL I like country too but had decided to go a little more modern. I was trying to work with what I had and the people who previously lived here had left white frilly curtains. I just sat at my table and looked around for a while and realized that there was a bit of a theme going....white appliances with black trim, a stainless tea kettle, white dixiekitchen sink. I jumped up and dug out an old black and white gingham valance I had made eons ago...I hung that and was on my way. I found a painting I hadn't known what to do with that had a black background and a brushed silver frame.....hung that. I had an old metal (small) trunk that I had used for cassette tapes. I emptied it and put my spices in it and sat that on a shelf. Then I went to the dollar store, Kmart, Walmart and Target and bought their discontinued or discounted black, white and gray dishtowels and potholders. Some I actually use as dishtowels, others I used to pull colors together on my baker's rack, etc. I went to Dollar General and everything's a dollar type stores and bought little silverish baskets, a little wall hanging with hooks(has a teakettle design) which also gave us a place to hang our keys (no more searching). The one thing I couldn't find was a nice rug (cheap)...but my SIL visited and took a look around. When she got back to Florida she bought a rug at Target and some tea towels for me and mailed them to me on my birthday. PERFECT! I found the same rug at Target for $5.00 and bought two more. I hung the tea towels as curtains and now all I have left to do is paint If you're as cheap as I am....hope this helps!

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-15-2002, 08:37 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh yeah, I forgot my point....

After I did all this "modernizing" I sat down and looked from the living room into the kitchen and realized I had done very, although contemporary, COUNTRY decorating LOL. You can take the girl out of the country but....well.....you know the rest. I once read that if you just buy only what you love it will all come together and you'll be comfortable there. So far, that seems to be holding true for me

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-15-2002, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

RE: I need help on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!

RE: I need help on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!
Thank you for your wonderful helpful tips and information on Decorating our Home in Country Decor Frugally!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!