Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 04-05-2003, 06:28 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

How old is your home?

1986-1987

We started building our house in late fall of 1986 and finished in the late spring of 1987.

DH worked for a builder and was able to accumulate building materials. We stayed with my parents for a few months, being able to save. So we have no morgage.

We put an addition on in 1989, if I'm remembering correctly.

Would love to own and renovate an old home though.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We bought a house built in 1929.. It has been kept up and there have been upgrades.. It's a great old house with lots of character......

I love the arched doorway from the living room to dining room....
Attached Images

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 04-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Nine Year Member

Older Homes

Caronamy~~~~ You are lucky to have a new home all paid for. My Nephew just bought an old home. The insulation was inadequate the wiring has to be done over, the basement has no heat. It would be a big expense to start fixing from scratch. The value of old homes have gone up but so have the prices. Maybe you will be lucky and find the house of your dreams that has been kept up.

Jeannie~~~~~ Your home looks beautiful for an older one. Love the archway too. How long ago did you buy it? Is it in a town or in the country?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sueanne...we bought it approximately 2 years ago.. and it's in a rural area.. there are MANY beautiful older homes around here .....there was one we were going to buy in the next town if this one fell through. ....this has acreage, the other was on one acre. But I loved it too.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 04-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My home is 41 yrs old...built in 1962 and an addition put on after that. This is my 3rd home...we have been here for 11 yrs. We were only going to stay here for a little while and we like it so much I can grow old here.

My lst house was 100+ yrs old...It had big square rooms and 2 stories...I loved it, it sat on 4 acres of ground, looked like a golf course...I miss my old house but this one is much easier for us! I like the way older homes are built...they even have nicer doorknobs and doors! lol

janet
Old 04-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

janet...yes!! I have the cut crystal door knobs...and skeleton keys for the doors.... *chuckle*

Old 04-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Assistant Moderator

Our house is 6yrs old, we bought it as a 'spec home', already finished but never lived in.
I have repainted the bedrooms 4 in all and bath room etc. We have a normal house block, or by the standards here don't know the measurements in acres.
I can't see us shifting anytime soon, I'd like an acre or 5 but can't in practicality see it happening.
Give us 5 yrs and we'll own it.
I don't think I'd have the patience to build a house from scratch.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Jeannie

Oh Jeannie...how cool! Do you have any photos of your home to share? I love older homes, buildings, and the architecture of old buildings...they just don't make buildings like that anymore and it tells such a history of the people and the area.

My home now is the youngest I ever lived in...it was suppose to be a temporary home, but we love out lot, the privacy we have and the closeness of town, but we are out of the city limits. (cheaper taxes) Our home is a ranch type and the only thing I miss is closet space, a basement, and a pole barn...lol This is the first house we had a thermostat on the wall. lol I tell you, I think I was born in the wrong year...I should of been born in the early years...lol

Janet
Old 04-14-2003, 04:21 AM

Our ranch style house was built in 1949. It's our first home, we've lived there coming up on 9 years. Its very small but does have a basement and big fenced in back yard. We planted a cherry tree and apple tree in the backyard 3 years ago, hopefully we'll get fruit this year. It's a very old neighborhood and all the kids that grew up there including my husband have returned and bought homes in the same neighborhood.

Anna
Old 04-14-2003, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My house is approximately 25 years old and is the oldest of the 5 that we have owned. We moved a lot with the Army and got tired of renting so started buying. This is our last for a while, God willing. We live in Hooterville now but the thought of moving again makes me want to run screaming the opposite direction.
Anyway we bought it last year and it was built in the 70's. It was a rental home for a long time since the former owner was aged and moved away. She died and left it to heirs who put it up for sale without seeing it since they all live away. Too bad--they might have changed a few things had they seen it. We laughingly referred to it as the Clown Houose when we bought it. Turqouise living room, 3 different colors of blue in one bedroom--and none co-ordinated. Pink, lime green and baby blue plaid wall paper with bright baby-ish blue trim in another. Where she found this paper is still a mystery. The paint under the blue trim (someone prepped badly and it was peeling) was a lime green. The hallway was periwinkle. The only "normal" colors were in the master bedroom where it still has a hideous shade of blue trim but white walls and the family room which was white. I gather she moved away before she could paint it. Dh and I spent an entire weekend working like dogs to get the house painted before we moved in. I'm really proud of the job we did too.

The other house we were most interested in was on 6 acres and a farm house. It was gorgeous but had stairs and dh is in remission with a neurological disease so as hard as it was, we decided against that one. We learned later that this was an EXCELLENT decision because Sea Board, where the house is located, is a tiny town but crime riddled. That house is still for sale too--many months later.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member