Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 05-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

SherBear!! Congrats!! that's great news!

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-12-2003, 07:28 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sherbear,
Congrads on selling your home! Hapilady, You sound very creative! We are getting our bathroom remodeled soon so will attempt to decorate on a strict budget!

Janet, we have taken pictures of the pink batroom on the digital camera now were working on figuring how to use on the computer main problem is the camera is "new tecnology" however computer is considered "old technolgy" Trying to bring the two together is a big headach but hopefully soon he will have it figured out!
Leighann
Old 05-29-2003, 04:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My house was also "born" in 1918. We weren't even planning on buying a house when we looked a tit. We had lived in our current house for 25 years. A friend told us we had to see this one, so we went and made an offer that night! That was 5 years ago. It took us a year of working on it before we could move into it, though. Needed all new plumbing- luckily my dh can do anything and all the work is being done by us. It has beautiful all wood floors and the dark wide trim around doors and windows. Has a colonade (sp) between the living room and dining room and has two sunrooms full of windows- one upstairs and one downstairs. All original. There is still so much work to be done on it. I don't think we'll ever be done! All the floors need redone- we did two rooms and the hall upstairs so far. We also made a bedroom into a bathroom. The tub's not in yet, but it has the shower. It came with 12 acres so we plenty of room here out in the country!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Our oldest and now middle dd's both own their own homes now! Middle dd closed last week. Both are divorced moms so they bought small but nice houses. The latest one is a 2 bedroom--perfect for dd and her 6 yo dd. The house is about 25 years old but has been remodeled inside with brand new berber carpet so the interior is like new. The outside has vinyl siding so maintenance free mostly. She has a nice sized yard so she has promised the dgd that she can have a dog and she is looking at a Great Dane (!). I can't wait to see how the house looks when completed. She's very artsy and is "building" a tree in the corner of dgd's bedroom and will have picket fencing around the wall with a picket gate (she's removing the door). She is going old world style in the living room and her own bedroom. I've been over helping her paint and we need to get it finished since move-in is this weekend! YIPPEEEEE!!!!!! The bonus room over the garage where they were living is now OURS and dh and I plan to have some fun with it--once we figure out what we want to do.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-29-2003, 04:59 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jayne,
Thats great your daughter got her house! It sounds nice, and maintence free is good! We have hired a plumber to start our bathroom, however now I am working on getting everyone cordinated as I cant be without the bathroom for a long time. We have a bathroom in the basement but its yuk in my opinion which I suppose is why my dh calls it his, plus it is just a stall shower so no tub for ds, not into showers yet.
Karen, your house sounds great love old houses just wish I could afford to redo my kitchen. Some day after the roof and the paint and the bathroom are all paid up. My dh was thinking of attempting the plumbing but has never done before and we need to replace all the pipes in there. So we thought we had better leave to the pros.
Leighann
Old 05-29-2003, 05:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

old house

You're right about it being expensive!!! I have learned to do things a lot cheaper! My kitchen had been added on in the 70's and needed lots of work. SInce it is so expensive to do a kitchen- I just took cabinet doors off, sanded them and refinished them. Added new hinges and pulls. The floor was pretty bad, so we laid new plywood over it and just used the self stick floor tiles. My next project is to paint the counter tops. You supposedly can just sand them, paint them (I'm going to use the granite look) then poly them with about 4-5 coats. I figure if it doesn't work, it didn't make them any worse than they already are!
Old 05-29-2003, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Karen--not sure of the thread link now but I THINK Shawn painted her countertops in her kitchen. She said it worked great too! We thought aobut it but have decided we're taking it out completely and putting ceramic tile counters in. Some day when dh has a little spare time.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

nagymom.. Jayne.. you DON'T want ceramic tile counters...they are a royal pain in the pazinga.... the grout gets stained.. and a pain to clean, you have to be really careful they don't crack.... if a something heavy slips from your hand they will crack...... I hate them.. I have them. I'm trying to talk DH into changing them out .

Oh they look nice, but I am convinced these ceramic counter tops are for people that DON'T cook......Really think about it.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."