Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 12-06-2002, 04:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like my house clean but not to clean where people think they can't just pull off there shoes and be comfortable. I also like to have my Mom, Son and the animals close by. I have angels all over the room and in my bedroom. I just a layback person. I don't want to lose any time spent with my son that I don't have to. He is a special gift from God to me.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a great thread! Our home is decorated in country decor. Some of it new, some from mil's antique shoppe, some from flea markets. It is a very cozy, comfy enviornment that says"Welcome" to everyone who comes through the door. And of course for our family of four.

In the main living area we have the kitchen and family room combined. We have a fireplace with a insert, cozy plush furniture that you just sink into, throw pillows and soft cotton throws on each piece of furniture. baskets with books on simplicity and country decor magazines. There are beams with wicker baskets and antique pots and pans, some of which I painted and stenciled on, hanging from the beams. We not only love the glo of the fire place, but the soft glo of candles. The kitchen always has the scent of some home cooking going on. Currently, dh has granny smith apple slices with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on them, going in the dehydrator.

The bedrooms all have flannel sheets and down pillows and comforters on the beds in soft pastel colors that are soothing. Our nightstands always have a book on them to read when we are ready to settle down for the night.

The bathroom is like a country spa. I have a wicker/wood stand with drawers that hold hand towels and wash clothes, extra tp, etc..On top of it is an oval silver tray that holds pretty lotions and bubble baths, And I have a matching silver container with a lid that holds cotton balls and qtips. There is also a small roses floral arrangement that I made on top of this stand. I have a wicker basket that holds plush cotton towels and there is also pretty looped cotton rugs for the bath ensemble. The vanity has a pretty heart china sidh on it that holds nail clippers etc and a sectioned hand painted (roses)wood organizer that holds tooth paste and deoderants. My theme is pink roses The tiles that border the bath are pink roses and My accessories go with that. very soothing and pretty.

The dining room has a huge mirrored buffet from the early 1900's and a mantle from then also. My china cabinet is built in and filled with my great grandmas linens and china, candlesticks and antique bowls. I have many family pictures on the mantle.

There are so many things that can make a house a home and I am constantly going through my decorating magazines in search of new ideas.

Last edited by AMOMWITH3GIRLS; 12-07-2002 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Country home

Oh! Your homes sound so wonderful! When can you come decorate mine?
Actually, we have plain wooden plank pine floors, (scratched from doggie toenails, but looks like a lived in home). And, I love to see scatter rugs throughout the home on my well-worn but shining wood floors. We installed these floors ourselves, from new lumber. A lot of work for two retired folks, but well worth the old, farm look we wanted!
Also, I have lots of wicker baskets in our home. Some holding the grandchildrens books and crayons, some holding my many magazines, some with silk flowers, and even one with old green canning jars, filled with dried apples, etc. and tied on top with fabrics and raffia. (This looks like it is just ready to go out the door to be given to some welcoming hands and heart.)
Also, as soon as cold weather hits, out come the snowmen and my house is full of them until early March, or warm weather...whichever comes first. :p We love snowmen and try to add to our collection each year. The crazier looking the better...be they wooden, stuffed or whatever...they must look 'country'...not fancy or glittery!
We're thinking of making a fake fireplace for our living room; as I think there is nothing cozier than a fireplace in cold weather; even if it isn't a real fire! Besides, what is country without a mantle to put some family pics' and snowmen?
Old 12-10-2002, 09:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here is a picture of my barn plates By Warren Kimbell that I displayed on a shelf in my family room
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2002, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

And a picture of a cozy sitting area in the family room
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2002, 09:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

And our cozy dining room where good food and great conversation occour every evening
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2002, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How ever I decorate my house, it's still not "homey" till I add a few plants.......just seems to complete a room!!!!

P.S.
AMOMWITH3GIRLS: What a beautiful dining room!!!!
I have that exact same table cloth....lol
Attached Images

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 12-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing reply to hapiladi

[about the fire place]
Reply to hapiladi,
Hi, I just joined this board and I see so many interesting posts. I just have to tell about my fireplace. We moved into an old house, which we are remodeling. Since I can remember I have always wanted a fireplace,but being in this hot weather you probably wonder: why in heavens name would I even need one huh Believe it or not it does get kind of cold at night! So I watch home improvement and other shows that have thing to make or fix around the house. So this is the part that I like. I saw them people making fireplaces and mantels for fireplaces. I have always been handy with the power tools and one day I decided to make me a fireplace! I gathered everything I needed and headed to the lumber store and got my material. I made me a fireplace with crown molding on the mantel and I had a ball doing it! It's a good size and I made the frame and varnished the wood put it together and instant fireplace! took me 2 day's to make at about the cost of $50.00 then here is the fun part, I cut some logs and spray painted a box type stand and placed the logs neatly on it. I painted the inside of it to make it look smokey and used.I got some orange filckering lights and kind of fixed them to be underneath the logs and around them, I turned it on and I swear you couldn't tell if it was a real fire or not! Want to hear something funny, my mom is always cold so she came over and it was chilly outside but she headed stright to the fireplace.My mom is 76 yrs. old and she knew I had made the fireplace, but she walks stright to it and starts warming herself up I guess she forgot. I looked at her and my sister looked at me, we busted up laughing and I finally told her,"mom it's not real" She said I even felt the warmthness on my legs!. She isn't the only one, Ive had alot of people tell me it looks real. I wish I could take a picture of it and scan it for you. I have the scanner, but not the film I even have a screen over the opening of the fireplace and logs on the side, and the fireplace things, what do you call them? It has the little shovel,broom the poker stand.I made a floor and put the tile and grouted it and put the box on top of the tile and ..."instant fireplace! Best thing about this if I get tired of it in one place I move it to another place. So I think If I can do it maybe you should try it, it looks so beautiful by my X-mas tree. And in the evening I lower my lights and and turn on the firplace and the glow and the flickering makes it look so real, I believe it does seem to be warmer in here! Give it a try. Thanks for letting me share this with you. Mellie
Old 12-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi Melliechavez
Very inventive of you. It sounds like you have done a great job on that fire place. Where ever you live sounds like here, we don't need fire places or heaters, too hot. Down south they do and have central heating.
Aren't power tools fun, I don't mind doing a project now and then, my dh just says "I don't want to know" and off I go, back to the shed.
What's your next project?
Old 12-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Bilby.

Reply to your post:
Yes, I do live over here in the southwest, it's about 107 sometimes higher, then we get the moonsoon season that is some hot sticky weather really it's enough to make anyone miserable! If you don't have central heating and cooling you are out of luck. I've been here since 1969 and I'm still not used to the hot weather.
I don't know what I'll do next as far as another project. I already made my entertainment center and some cabinets in the bathroom. But give me time I will think of something, lol. Right now I need to start on my window treatments,which I have been putting off. We have a Large bay window about 8 ft.high in the living room, and I am going to make some fancy swags. Once I get them done I'll post a picture, okay? or I will try to because I have a new scanner and I haven't even used it once. In fact I just connected it last week. What do you like to do? I just love to be on the internet! For awhile when I first got the computer earlier this year, I felt myself drawn to it, it was so hard not to pass by and turn it on I had to admit I was addicted to the net. I have it under control now, instead of 8 hours a day I'm down to only 4 No, really I was hooked on this bad.
I guess being my first new computer, I had an older one before and I didn't even have the internet, so I sure made up for loss time! Just look at me going on and on! Sorry, Thank God you only asked 1 question huh?
It has been nice talking to you, and thanks for writing Is it snowing over on your part of the country? We don't hardly get any snow here, but when we do everybody goes crazy including me! It's just cool over here now. Take care......Mellie I