Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 07-20-2002, 11:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

just wanted to echo

. . . what everyone said about a bright, clean kitchen and a bright shiny bath.

Light colors and clean surfaces are what people see. I have white painted cabinets in my house, and before I go anywhere near selling I will have to touch up the nicks in there.

Of course, I'd need another week in the year, an extra two hours in every day of that week, and only be able to survive on 3 hours sleep per night. I've completely given up on the idea that my husband could ever actually see what has to be done and do it.

(oops, sorry, I guess I was venting there. back to decorating)

I have horrendous looking 30-year old tarnished brass fixtures in my bathrooms. I think I could get away with the aged corian-like surfaces that make up the counter and sink, but those fixtures will have to go. That's a nominal cost at Home Depot.

New countertop is actually pretty cheap -- you can buy stock pieces of it at Lowe's and Home Depot, and it's just like tabletop that sits on top of your cabinets and is screwed in at the corners. I've replaced it before, and it was an easy project. It made a huge difference, almost like I'd completely redone my kitchen.

And paint fixes everything -- so if you can paint it and brighten it up, do. If everything else is cleaned up and put away, your house will look fabulous. Think about what grabs you when you walk into a house you might want to buy -- isn't it the kitchen and the bathroom? Those two things tell you how clean the people are and how well the house has been maintained.

Hope these things just add to the excellent advice everyone else has given. Good luck!

jen in california
Old 07-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Rooms to redo

Definitely the bathroom and the kitchen, if you only had to pick two that is.

I used to sell real estate before moving to Virginia and those two areas are very important in alot of ways. The "woman" of the house is usually the major factor in purchasing a home and those are the two areas that most women look at.

We just finished remodeling our home and adding a master bedroom as well. The biggest compliment I get is about our kitchen. We got new flooring that was much lighter and brighter than what we had and we stripped off all the wallpaper and painted, added a new curtain over the window sill and replaced the cabinets. The cabinets were a hefty expense but needed nonetheless in this house. But a good paint job, and flooring are not that expensive and can make a huge difference in the room.

Same goes for the bathroom. We replaced the sink and toilet - neither of which were very expensive. Got some coverall stain type of thing from the hardware store to use on the wooden cabinet over the sink and under the sink (this hid all the little scratches and marks and made it look really good). We put up a new light fixture to help brighten it as well as painting and new flooring. The tub is normally the biggest expense, and we didn't replace it yet but have planned to later. In the meantime we hung a brighter shower curtain with a liner behind it, and hung it so that it covers most of the tub (our tub is that 70s green - yuk!) We also replaced the faucet, shower head, switch plate covers and the doorknob. You would be amazed at the transformation in that bathroom.

Also go as neutral as possible. Off white or white. That way a person can see the expanse without the color getting in the way. Keep it simple in decorations and by all means declutter as much as you can. If you box things up - stack them in closets or in the attic so they aren't an eye-sore in the house, or in the basement if you have one.

If you can't do any of these things - then just keep it clean. I went to look at a house last week (we are considering moving) and it was so dirty and trashy that what consideration I did give it was tainted by the mess (that and a full litter pan from the cat).

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Shelly
Old 07-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Shelly, I see you are in Richmond too.

When we sold our last house I did the baking thing before visitors too. I just used quick cinnamon rolls from the dairy case in the AM and boxed brownies the rest of the day. We also cleaned, cleaned, cleaned! Even dried out the kitchen and bathroom sink before leaving for work in the AM. I also agree that the curbside appeal is very important. Before buying our current house we drove by many before asking our realtor for an appointment. When we were house hunting we visited a couple houses that candles were burning unattended. I would not do that unless you are well insured!

When we were selling our realtor suggested moving our inside long-hair cat to a relatives house. People with allergies or people who just don't like pets inside can really be turned off by them.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2002, 07:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anything you put ($) in to your kitchen and bathrooms, expect to get back approx 75-80%. Work on those two areas and too it helps if the house has curb appeal, to attract buyers.

Good luck
Old 07-30-2002, 09:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Update

Weve jumped in and decided to redo the bathroom. Ive finished removing the old wallpaper and now we are filling in holes and sanding, getting ready to paint. We are replacing the medicine cabinet ( which was old and outdated) and replacing the vanity and sink ( which was oversized for this small bathroom). It should look pretty decent when finished.

What do you think about hanging stuff on the walls once they are freshly painted ? I think the bathroom would have more appeal to it if I hung pictures and other stuff ( stuff Im willing to leave here if they want it)......then again, Im thinking that it might be better to leave it plain so that it is ready to decorate the way they would like it. What's your opinion on this ? The only room that I really have decorated is the kitchen. When we get done painting every room off-white, Decorate the walls or not ? HHHMMM.........
Old 07-30-2002, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Maybe a flower wreath or something simple...don't go overboard, and don't put a lot of holes back in the wall.

Clean and neat is better than decorated in my opinion
Old 07-30-2002, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

When I sold our old farm house...I spruced it up the best I could...I bought paint and gave everything a fresh coat and spruced up the kitchen, and bath...I agree it is the most important thing people look at. When I kneew the house was going to be showed I put some cinnamon in a pie pan and turned on the oven before they got there...fresh bread smells great too!

I tried to keep everything look neat, no clutter and that was a big problem....I was so glad when the sale went thru...packing up to leave was a piece of cake!

janet
Old 03-01-2003, 10:30 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'd have to say my public bathroom. We are currently updating our house. We've lived here for 16 years - built it new. So now since I'm not working and home sitting here looking at the old it bothers me. When working, I wasn't here all day.

In the past 2 years we've re-done our diningroom, pulling up the carpet and put hardwoods down. Pergo in the kitchen. Paint in both rooms. Familyroom - recarpeted with berber (free carpet). Today we ripped up the carpet on the stairs and tomorrow (hopefully) DH's carpet friend is installing new berber on the stairs (not free but very, very cheap).

So next is the bathroom! And IT BETTER be done before June when I have friends from CA coming to stay!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Curb appeal...

I have recently been looking at houses and I am shocked how many houses we have looked at that I didn't even want to step foot inside because the outside was run down. I don't mean paint the whole house or have a landscaper or anything by simple things like a new paint job on the mailbox or porch railings will be inviting to the house. You have to get them in to sell it. Many houses we have not even gotten out of the car!!!!!!! lol

TX Chef Fran
Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tile redo

I am interested in the "tile spraying" that was mentioned here.

We have a powder room that is in serious need of updating. I don't think it has been touched, other than wallpaper, since the house was built in 1962. It has a "shades of brown" tiny tile floor, yellow tile walls 3/4 of the way up, UGLY wallpaper above that, yellow toilet, beat-up white vanity, white and gold fake marble sink.

ICK.

If I could I'd do it in a nice light blue with white fixtures and white wainscoting in the bottom, or if DH says no to wainscoting, at least a wainscot-style vanity.

Hopefully we'll get a good tax refund this year so we can plug that money into making this bathroom a little nicer!