Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Beautifying Your Home

This article is in this weeks newletter. It has some great points. I am doing some small improvements to our home to make it a happier place to call home. I am doing this as frugaly as I can because we really do want to move soon but until then I want our home to be cozy and happy.

Things we have done:

Replaced some broken vinyl tile in the bathroom and kitchen.

We are in the process of painting the living and dining room. For the ceiling I mixed all the leftover paints to create a soft off off off white. I mixed in fine texture powder to make a thick textured paint. Worked great for hidding the problems on the ceiling. The walls are painted in a kacki with a hint of golden tones. Then I feather painted the next darker color kacki. I am painting paneling and didnt want it too look like painted paneling. This weekend we will paint the living room.

Instead of hanging the bulliten board up I am buying plexi glass next week for the top of my old teachers desk. Everything on the bulliten board will be placed under the plexi glass. Then I will have to keep the desk cleaned off so we can see the important phone numbers!

In the bathroom, we are removing an old exhast fan. Really just a box leading to the attice with a vent in it. I have left over paint from the last time I painted the bathroom. I will retint it a soft sage.

What are you doing to make your home a dream home?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

We are in the process of painting our kitchen and redoing the small bathroom in the hallway.

Charlotte
Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird
This article is in this weeks newletter. It has some great points. I am doing some small improvements to our home to make it a happier place to call home. I am doing this as frugaly as I can because we really do want to move soon but until then I want our home to be cozy and happy.

Things we have done:

Replaced some broken vinyl tile in the bathroom and kitchen.

We are in the process of painting the living and dining room. For the ceiling I mixed all the leftover paints to create a soft off off off white. I mixed in fine texture powder to make a thick textured paint. Worked great for hidding the problems on the ceiling. The walls are painted in a kacki with a hint of golden tones. Then I feather painted the next darker color kacki. I am painting paneling and didnt want it too look like painted paneling. This weekend we will paint the living room.

Instead of hanging the bulliten board up I am buying plexi glass next week for the top of my old teachers desk. Everything on the bulliten board will be placed under the plexi glass. Then I will have to keep the desk cleaned off so we can see the important phone numbers!

In the bathroom, we are removing an old exhast fan. Really just a box leading to the attice with a vent in it. I have left over paint from the last time I painted the bathroom. I will retint it a soft sage.

What are you doing to make your home a dream home?
Great idea using the plexiglass!

The only type of home redoing I'm hoping to do this year is to move.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We want to move too but so far no job for dh. I will spend a little bit to spruce up this house until we can move.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That's a clever idea for your desktop.

Can you explain a little more about "feather painting?"
Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My hubby is doing this as an anniversary gift tome this year.......We are closing in our front porch to make a mud room, then we are tearing down the wall and closet that separate our dinning room and livingroom. We will then pull up all the carpet and replace with hardwood flooring. I am going to add new trim replace all the doors from the old 70's brown to white.....we will paint the area a latte type color and have wrought iron accessories and light fixtures.....A lot of work but will be really nice and open when we are done......

Hugs dEbbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Debbie, you will love it! We removed one small wall to open up our dining and living room. I don't know why we didn't do it before. If we weren't using the chimney I would remove the wall between the dining room and kichen. If we were going to stay here, I would remove the arch from the kitchen into the breakfast nook. The it would all be open.

Barb feather painting is using a feather duster ( a cheap one ) to put another coat of paint on your base color. I put a cup or two of paint into a paint tray, dab the feather duster VERY lightly into the paint, using the slant part of the paint tray to remove some of the paint. Then dust and dab the walls. I have used a medium base color then a lighter and a darker feather coat. I have used a base, then sponged then feather dusted. Most of the rooms in my house are faux painted. I really love doing it.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds pretty, bluebird. I bet my DD would like that effect in her room.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by debknechtel
My hubby is doing this as an anniversary gift tome this year.......We are closing in our front porch to make a mud room, then we are tearing down the wall and closet that separate our dinning room and livingroom. We will then pull up all the carpet and replace with hardwood flooring. I am going to add new trim replace all the doors from the old 70's brown to white.....we will paint the area a latte type color and have wrought iron accessories and light fixtures.....A lot of work but will be really nice and open when we are done......

Hugs dEbbie
That sounds beautiful Debbie!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird
Debbie, you will love it! We removed one small wall to open up our dining and living room. I don't know why we didn't do it before. If we weren't using the chimney I would remove the wall between the dining room and kichen. If we were going to stay here, I would remove the arch from the kitchen into the breakfast nook. The it would all be open.

Barb feather painting is using a feather duster ( a cheap one ) to put another coat of paint on your base color. I put a cup or two of paint into a paint tray, dab the feather duster VERY lightly into the paint, using the slant part of the paint tray to remove some of the paint. Then dust and dab the walls. I have used a medium base color then a lighter and a darker feather coat. I have used a base, then sponged then feather dusted. Most of the rooms in my house are faux painted. I really love doing it.
It is pretty. I've seen it done on one of the HGTV shows but I've never tried it.

Take pics to show us!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus