Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Home Decorating & Repair Got any ideas for pretty window treatments? How about ways to fix that squueky hinge?

Old 03-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Exclamation Childproofing!!!!!

If there's anything that will screw up your decor, it's the stuff you use to keep babies & toddlers safe!

My 2 year old has just hit the point where he can climb any gate we set up, so our house is going from being the "Gated Community" to "Full Lockdown." I got some chains for the bedroom doors so the Big Kids can shut themselves in there while doing homework. Now I have to break out the Big Drill and install them

I also have to put a sliding latch in one of our bathrooms, since the door will not stay closed.

I'd love to talk with you all about ways to childproof the place and not make it look so, well, childproof!
Old 03-23-2004, 01:41 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb, I don't think it is possible to not make your home look...childproofed without spending a fortune!!!

The only thing I ever did get to child proof, that did not cost a fortune and actually made it look nicer childproofing, was when we put lattice on our front porch, to keep DD from slipping through the vertical 2 X 4's.

I remember sticking living room chairs upside down at the bottom of stairs to keep my kids from climbing up the stairs. Chairs upside down sidways or what ever in hallways to keep DD from going to the big kids rooms. The little eye hook locks far up on the bathroom door to keep her out. eye hook lock on our bedroom door to keep her off our bed so she would not jump on it!

The little door alarms on the inside doors to keep her from running outside and us not knowing it. Locking the kitchen chairs in teh bedrooms to keep her from climbing on the counter tops.

Purchased a fan type door to the laundry room to keep her from climbing on the dryer. I just am so glad that we moved to a home without stairs before my youngest was born she was/is an active little thing!

Good luck, I really feel for you! I am lucky enough to have lived through it now she is almost four, and listens to NO a lot better now! So, things are getting a little easier.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Re: Childproofing!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by barbszy
My 2 year old has just hit the point where he can climb any gate we set up, so our house is going from being the "Gated Community" to "Full Lockdown."

Im not laughing AT you, Im laughing WITH you!! MyDD is already into everything!! She will be 10 months old tomorrow and can walk by herself now as long as she can stand against something to start her off in the right direction....then off she goes!! My DS calls her "the dog" because she will follow all of us around and sit at our feet. We have those white saftey pull locks on our sink door and the cupboard in the kitchen---they look real stylish!! ;-) We can still shut the doors with her now though! I can only imagine what it will be like in a year or so.

My DS was never like this. Although he was very active, he didnt get into things, he never put things in his mouth or anything like that. The only thing that he did was prove to us that the plastic plugs that you can use to cover electric outlets can be pulled out by a toddler! He never did anything to the outlets or stuck anything in them (thank heavens!) but he would consider it a challenge to go around and remove all of them.

I think that stylish babyproofing would be a great business to start!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!