FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Holidays (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/holidays/)
-   -   Christmas 2010 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/holidays/26774-christmas-2010-a.html)

mammajigglypuff 01-23-2010 08:23 PM

Christmas 2010

Okay I know it's only January 2010, but how many of you have already started thinking about Christmas.
Since I am on a very limited income and I only have a few people to buy for I decided to start putting $10-$25 a month on a Wal-Mart gift card for them. I am also "hiding" all the $1 bills I get from change and will add that to the card when I go to the store.
When you do it this way you'll be surprised at how much you can save in 12 months.
:twinkle::clause:

BuddyBeanieBaby 01-23-2010 11:15 PM

What a great idea...

I have been buying for Christmas 2010...never too early to start...

Smiles & Hugs...

mammajigglypuff 01-24-2010 05:30 AM

thanks. when your on a set income that won't go up but prices will you have to think early.
:clause:

ajrsmom 01-24-2010 10:39 AM

I think that using gift cards like that is a great idea!

I've been thinking of using my second checking acct. as a Christmas Club acct. and tucking money away. The only problem with that is that I know it's there every week when I pay bills. I don't want to be tempted to use it so I might just put cash in an envelope and tuck it away.

BuddyBeanieBaby 01-24-2010 12:35 PM

Tami I used to save all my loonies and toonies(Canadian Crazy Money...lol...not really but that is what the $1.00 & $2.00 are called here)and managed to save over $1,800.00 one year...which is pretty good for me because I love to shop on eBay...lol

Smiles & Hugs...

kathymac 01-24-2010 01:16 PM

Every year I tell myself that I'm going to get started early and put aside a little bit of money all year, but I never seem to do it. I love the idea of putting it on a gift card or cards. That might just work as I can add to it when I'm doing other shopping.

Pag36 01-24-2010 02:56 PM

I have bought 3 gifts already and adding slow but sure onto gift card for Wal-Mart my bro and sis sent to Judy but not telling her. Will give it to her late Nov to buy gifts for Gina/Adam & Steven this coming Christmas. I save all the "G" dollars and loose change towards my b'day get away in Oct. I never noticed the letters on the bills before or would have been doing it years ago. I save A's for Adam, B for Steven (his last name) J's for Judy and L's for Stacie (her maiden name they don't have S's if they did would have been saving them for Steven)
I too am on fixed income so have to do shopping all year.
Theresa I have only bought one thing years ago from Ebay, a panda windchime as Adam loves them. Have not been on the site or Amazon in ages.
Happy shopping everyone

Bilby 01-29-2010 12:29 PM

My 47yo BIL cracked a tantrum at christmas this year, insults were aimed at dh and I and they were bad and untrue ..................
2010 we want to run away for the week or failing that tell everyone we are running away and just lock our doors LOL

..... apart from that not had any reay thoughts yet

susiec 01-29-2010 01:08 PM

mmmm, every year I think about starting early or saving money especially as my DS and DD birthdays are in November, a week apart, but I never seem to get organised. However, I will be a student from sept 2010 with no income and fees to pay so I think it will be wise to start saving now.
susie

gorilla 01-29-2010 02:38 PM

I try to make as many gifts as I can. So I start getting my ideas for gifts even before Christmas for the following year. I figure out what supplies I will need to make them and make a list. Then, whenever they are on sale for 30% or 40% or 50% off I start stocking up on supplies. I know how many people I want to make each item for (and usually make a couple extra of each thing for someone I may have forgotten), so I know how much to buy. And since I am usually not getting all the supplies at the same time, I can also spread out paying for them. I also use 40% and 50% off coupons very heavily. And I can really create a lot of gifts for a surprisingly small amount.

MsJReg 01-29-2010 02:58 PM

Christmas 2101

I have bought a couple gifts already. I did buy 25 gift bags at the Dollar Tree for 50% off, so I should be set in that area. I'm like bilby-I'd like to run away for Christmas. It is not my favorite holiday, since it becomes so stressful and about gifts. Did I mention I buy for 15 grandkids, seven daughters and seven sil. Also my twin sis her family and my parents.

WendyMichelle 01-29-2010 04:07 PM

I have gotten 2 gifts but so far that is it...

cat lover 05-16-2010 09:06 AM

One word on some gift cards--- read the fine print on the back, some deduct a certain amount each month beginning with after they are purchased.

The two DS's and their wives is all we have to buy for and we had decided last year to cut way back on that. I used to shop all year and each had a rubbermaid tote that their gifts went into and then a big bow on them and gave them to them at Christmas. One DS and his wife don't celebrate Christmas (like DH and I; just another day here; DH and I don't exchange gifts) so last year we gave each a set amount of money, a pair of PJ's, sweat suit and a "few" gifts we thought they would like. This year we are cutting even those gifts back. If Christmas would go away that would make life easier!

We enjoyed it when the kids were little, but now it just being DH and I so many holidays just aren't anythig special any longer to us. We usually try and keep ourselves busy with some sort of project or another. So enjoy while the kids are little!

Bilby 05-16-2010 07:06 PM

You have to be careful on some gift cards, some have to be used in 3, 6 or 9 months, so don't go to far ahead and check the dates, will the person you give the card to use all the value in the given time

HAPPY6 05-17-2010 01:56 PM

:clause:7 Months and 220 days till Santa hits the sky again......HO HO HO HO

Pag36 05-17-2010 03:41 PM

LOL was wondering when you would start the count down Caroline

kathymac 05-18-2010 03:23 AM

It's never too early to start the countdown! Planning ahead makes all of the difference! I haven't gotten anything yet as we have had the house up for sale since February and we've been trying to declutter. The less we have, the less there will be to move. But the house is still on the market with no real prospects for a sale, so it's time to get back to life as normal. So I'll start picking up a few things here and there.

Pag36 05-18-2010 06:40 AM

You are so right Kathymac. If I did not do a bit all along during the year would not be doing anything much at Christmas time. I already have gifts for 3 people stashed. I want to pick up Flicka 2 for Judy this coming payday as know she will love it. Money spent on movies for her is never wasted she watches hers over and over. LOL not me once seen that is it.
Happy Christmas buying all

Bilby 05-18-2010 01:40 PM

I agree collecting things during the year is the best way to go, as time goes by we seem to do less and less presents, mainly now a few baked goods with only half a dozen gifts to give.

Candy 05-19-2010 04:42 PM

Pag36...I can watch movies over and over again . I remeber I saw them but never remeber much else,LOL.

I make stuff all year. This year everyone will get a painting. Still buy for 10 and under ..older grandkids get some money. I remind all the kids that we are having a birthday party for Jesus.

Pag36 05-19-2010 04:48 PM

Candy if I wastch one I have seen before I almost always know the dialog before they say it. The only movie I have on purpose watched over and over is the first Miracle on 34th it use to be a tradition for our children

crochet2 05-30-2010 09:12 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Even though I want to give everyone everything, this year I am thinking that 3 gifts apiece will be it. After all, Jesus only received 3 gifts. Since I first heard about this idea, it has intrigued me.

I do send away for samples all year long, and do a lot of "try me free" items (hand lotions, shampoos, make-up, etc.) that make excellent gifts, or stocking stuffers.

My favorite items to receive include kitchen stuff (a new bowl, new kind of plastic container, etc.), that doesn't have to be expensive for me to like it. My favorite items to give include sox, and pjs.

No one in my family revolts against used clothing, so a trip here and there to the thrift stores generates lots of gently used sweatshirts, and tops. And, there are always items that still have tags on them (some kitchen items, some toys, etc.).

Yard sales are great to find almost anything - yarn is a biggie for me. I just go and make an offer straight away, and worry about what I will use it for later (to make gifts for others - hats, mittens, scarves, etc.).

Michael's and AC Moore also have sales throughout the year on t-shirts (5/$10 usually).

Ladies, hope I have given my ideas in clear ideas, and that they are helpful.

Take care all!! Norma

Pag36 05-30-2010 10:11 AM

Norma I do the same thing with samples and check out Goodwill for sweats for Judy. And like you have found new things there.

trainlady 05-30-2010 07:39 PM

Big Lots is another great store to get Christmas bargains at, especially stocking stuffers. Last year I had all my shopping done by October and I am hoping to do the same this year. My nieces always get three things from us, an ornament, a book and one other present. I've gotten a few things for them so far......

I started a new tradition this year of Christmas cards in March!!!!! Merry St. Patricks Day...Happy Christmas!!!

hugs, train:fireworks

cat lover 05-31-2010 03:20 AM

trainlady, do you send the cards in March or just get them all written for Christmas time? Just wondered! lol

trainlady 06-01-2010 08:36 AM

This year I SENT them in MArch!!! LOL!!!!

Pag36 06-01-2010 10:45 AM

Yep she sent hers in March what a surprise and pleasure.

I love Big Lots too Donna. Have not been there in awhile. Might do that tomorrow if I get out with Stacie

HAPPY6 06-10-2010 03:41 PM

I received a Christmas card from Donna the day after Saint Patrick's Day. I thought it was going to be a Saint Patrick Day card.....Never expected it to be a Christmas card!!

Haleys grandmom 07-01-2010 04:21 PM

I don't even dare to think Christmas the way my mother's health is. She is doing real good right now, but, the Dr's said 6 months and that would be around Nov. or Dec. but, I think she's going to fool them unless she gets pneumonia again. If she's not around it will only be my dh and myself. Our kids are to far away and it costs so much to send them anything.

Bilby 07-16-2010 11:16 PM

Not that I'm counting but ....

5 Months
160 Days

apricot 08-06-2010 09:30 PM

If I'm going to make some gifts this year I better get myself in gear and get started very soon!

HAPPY6 08-07-2010 01:15 PM

As hot and humid as it's been here this summer I could use a trip "North Pole"!!!! I'll be Christmas shopping when it gets much cooler.....

Bilby 10-03-2010 04:27 PM

Hot and humid, yep that's christmas in Australia :)

82 days until the 25th Dec

Haleys grandmom 10-07-2010 07:29 PM

Same here, it's been in the 100's most of the summer with high humidity. Christmas is going to be very simple and homemade. I've got a wonderful pattern for pillow cases and some patchwork purses.

cat lover 10-08-2010 03:11 AM

We don;t do too much exchange any longer of gifts; usually give both DS's and their wives cash to get what they want. Sometimes we also give them a gift card for a restaurant or a gift card to a grocery in addition to the cash; just depends on finances at the time. I do miss the tree and shopping for gifts or making some, but they are grown now with their own families and are way over having things they really don't need; no matter how cute we might think they are! lol
For awhile we would make some homemade things for DH's brothers and sisiters, but we have just been too busy so we stopped that last year I think it was.

Bilby 10-08-2010 04:43 PM

This will be our first chirstmas with Michael not living at home anymore, not sure of the girlfriends family us spread for the day. Not sure how the rest of us will spread our timeout for the day due to BIL's tantrum last year, hubby still not talking to his brother.

Pag36 10-08-2010 05:10 PM

This will be my first Christmas without Adam either in house with me or close by. Michigan is too far for him & Bianca to come home plus she is pg so would not want to risk it. And her family is where they are now and natch they would want them there or at least her and they would not want to be apart either. So will have to do things as usual just without Adam.

kathymac 10-09-2010 06:30 AM

This will be our first Christmas without DD1 living at home. So things will be a little different. We are working out how to divide the holidays between us and bf's family.

Bilby 10-09-2010 02:12 PM

Ah there are a few of us that have had people leave home this year, oh boy or kikds are growing LOL

crochet2 10-10-2010 06:10 AM

Good morning all!!

I have a lot of people at work to give a little something to. I am making the 6 guys hats and scarfs (almost done), and just ordered some Avon lip glosses for the women (3/$1.79), and probably need a little something more to go with that. Or, I can make some more hats, and donate them "In the Names of the Women of Douglass Industries".

For my sister, 2 years ago, I bought 2 pair of winter pj's on sale at Walmart in March for $2 each, and I have a sweater here that I bought for me, but is too big, that will fit her just right. She got one pair of pj's last year, and will get the other, and the sweater this year. Need to pick up a few more small things for her. (She has gone through a bankruptcy and a foreclosure, and gone from employed to disabled this past year). She is still in the house, but who knows for how long. So I am not trying to clutter up her house at all.

My nephew, I plan to buy him a piece of workout equipment, and probably some clothes. Not much else.

I have two gfs that I exchange small things with, but that is it.

I have found an on-line site, www.giftcardrescue.com to purchase a few gift cards on.

Ladies, got to go. Take care all!! Norma