Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Holidays From New Year's to Christmas and Hanukkah too! Find all kinds of fun ideas here.

View Poll Results: I am "going green" by.....
reusing/recycling items 31 75.61%
no more plastic bags! 13 31.71%
I'm planting a garden/eating more organic food 19 46.34%
using low-flow shower heads 15 36.59%
setting the thermostat lower 27 65.85%
using compact fluorescent bulbs in my home 30 73.17%
using homemade, non toxic cleaning supplies 13 31.71%
other ways.... 8 19.51%
I'm not trying to "go green" 3 7.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

We can only recycle #'s 1 & 2 plastic bottles, cartons etc. But can recylcle cardboard, cereal boxes, newspaper, all shredded paper, glass bottles/jars soda/beer cans, tin cans I think that is all not sure. And I do put all those in the bins I have which are 4
Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I love using old socks for dust rags. They work fantastic. We use old rags for all kinds of things. Dh uses old t-shirts in the garage. We use milk jugs for oil and take that to be recycled.

We take as much as we are allowed to the recycable center. They don't take everything. We recycle old cell phones.

We use rechargeable batteries for almost everything. Some of the detergents and other cleaning items are now not sold in our state. New enviremental laws. So I am switching to non fusfate(sp) cleaning products.

Charlotte
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 AM

Happy face

Patti, I had some cardboard boxes that we had gotten things shipped in & cut them up to fit in the can & they didn't take it & left a note that said unacceptable.. no cardboard or styrofoam! Well we had no choice but to put it in with the garbage.. so it ended up in the landfill anyway!! My idea of recycling is to recycle anything that you can. I can't count how many times have we gotten something in a box that said it was recycled cardboard. I can't understand why they won't take it.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 AM

I want to start making my own cleaners. Can someone give me a link? With my allergies both nasal and skin, I need as natural as it gets.
I am a big recycling nut when it comes to seperating the trash.
Pop cans we take to the recycling center.
Soup cans, glass and plastic goes in the bin the pick up bi-monthly. Paper goes into a box that we take to the local fire department. They get some kind of credit for so many pounds they collect.
I am going to start a compost heap too, I'm hoping.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Minny I have other friends that say their area does not take this or that. I would think everywhere would take all that is recyclable (sp) we have 4 green bins and they pretty much get filled between pick up days which is garbage on Thursday and Recycle on Friday, where I lived before moving here 3 yrs ago next month they picked both up at same time. With all the soda cans that we end up with if I drove and had a car would take it and sell it to recyle place but can't but I do recycle all of it. Soup, tuna, veggie cans all get put in there, soda,milk,juice bottles likewise oh no styrafoam here either
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 AM

We sell the soda cans also.
We put out papers and cardboard for recycling and also plastic bottles.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I really don't work on "going green" I just do common sense things that are not only good for the enviroment, but are economical too. My parents generation grew up during the depression and learned the value of reusing or repurposing things, gardening and canning. I was raised doing many of these things and have continued it. I have changed all of the lights that I could to the flourscent bulbs and think I can really see a difference on my electric bill.
Unfortunatly the energy consumed my many modern conveniences probably out weigh any good I am trying to do. I read an article today about a report put out by McAfee about the energy wasted by spam e-mail in a year. Here is the link--- http://www.therenewableplanet.com/bl...vironment.aspx
Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member

I reuse, repurpose, recycle, and compost kitchen scraps.

The pop cans I take to the Catholic school as they collect them for the Shriner's Burn Centers and the pop tabs are saved for the Ronald McDonald House's through the Catholic School also.

I've been saving milk jugs to use in the garden this summer to cut down on spraying water. Will bury the jugs a couple of inchs down about 4 inchs from the tomatoe/bell pepper plants with the bottoms cut off and pour water in them for a deep slow soak. If I have enough jugs and the room will put them in a row down the middle of two rows of green beans, etc.

I use the flourescent blubs as much as possible, use dryer balls that cut at least 10 min off each dry cycle, have electrical items that are not in use plugged into a power strip that is turned off, bought a programable thermometer to lower the heat/AC when we are not home or sleeping, I have plastic on all the windows to help keep the heat & AC in the house.

I know with all the prices going up in utility costs it didn't seem like my bill was any lower but comparing the total paid the year before and I had payed the same so I saved the rate increase that everyone else was paying.

I make my own laundry soap, pre-treater and use vinager, ammonia & bleach to clean with (note not at the same time).

I have 6 cloth grocery bags now that I use if I need more I request paper bags that I can use in the trash can. I do reuse plastic bags in small trash cans, to put doggie doo in, and messy trash, etc. If I do get an over abunance of plastic bags I take them back to the grocery and put in the bag recycle bins.

I also route errands to save the most gas and time while I'm going to be out anyway.

Roberta
Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I have loads of the cloth bags, from Super K, Super Wal-Mart, Target diff grocery stores and had enough of those and the "cold" bags to hold both mine and Stacie's groceries from commissary the 3rd. I did not know if we would have enough of the cloth ones but did.
I use the paper bags to hold my paper from clipping out my coupons for myself and Norma. Then all of it goes in recycle bin.
I save the tabs off of soda etc cans and send them to Steven's school to help them same with Campbell labels and one of our grocery stores any tapes from them.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 AM

Roberta,
When you map out your errands do you start with the closest to home or do you start with the farthest and work your way home?