FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Holidays (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/holidays/)
-   -   Is October too early to start seeing Christmas displays and decorations? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/holidays/21541-october-too-early-start-seeing-christmas-displays-decorations.html)

ajrsmom 10-04-2007 02:48 AM

Is October too early to start seeing Christmas displays and decorations?

Walk into any store and most likely you will find isles full of Christmas decorations. Look around the corner and you just might see :twinkle:on display.
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the decorations and trees but I think that it's too early to be seeing it in October.

:bgrin: :ghost2: I want time to have fun during Halloween with my kids and then to celebrate a:happ2: with my family before being inundated with Christmas everthing.

In reality, I guess that waiting until Thanksgiving is over, isn't possible but I think we should wait until the first of November to put up displays for the Christmas holidays.

How do you feel about this? Please take our poll, then add a note to let me know how you feel. :soapbox:

barbszy 10-04-2007 03:53 AM

Are you talking about stores or homes? Or both?

While I can't go to the extreme my sister does (she will not even THINK OR TALK about Christmas until Thanksgiving is over) I do think that "one holiday at a time" is plenty.

I was still doing back-to-school shopping and having a hard time finding the binders because of all the spider webs and candy corn that were taking over the stores. Now that I WANT the candy corn, good luck--all I can find are candy canes :gaah:

In my opinion, if holiday decorations for a particular holiday come out more than 30 days before that holiday, everyone is more than sick of it by the time the holiday rolls around. Then you can hardly enjoy it before the next holiday is dragged out, way ahead of time.

One holiday at a time, please--let's savor these special days with our family and friends.

Pag36 10-04-2007 04:09 AM

I would like them to wait till at least Halloween is over with. But don't mind seeing it in Nov, for me does not take away from Thanksgiving. I shop for Christmas all year along not everything or everyone but certain things for certain people that can not be outgrown etc before the time comes to give it to them. Happy Shopping everyone oh Barb plenty of candy corn still around here no candy canes not that I want them yet

stellajean66 10-04-2007 04:30 AM

I don't mind seeing the decorations early. I love Christmas and wish we could celebrate year round. Everyone is so much nicer to each other during the Christmas season. It is my favorite holiday!!!

Mish 10-04-2007 05:26 AM

While i love Christmas time i would if the retailers could just wait abit longer before they put out the Christmas displays.I would love to be able to focus on just one holiday and that would be Halloween,then Thanksgiving and then Christmas,.I wish we had the money to buy gifts year round but my 2 girls are older and are in to more high tech stuff like computer games,playstation games ect.My mil is already getting the itch to start the christmas shopping for all the grandkids.It is enough to drive me nuts.

Mish :)

Candy 10-04-2007 06:18 AM

Although I get angry because one Holiday needs is gone before the Holiday. I like the next coming early so people on a budget can start early,but I do think they should keep an area for the present holiday too.

CHADSMOM 10-04-2007 07:58 AM

Well, sometimes they do put the seasonal goodies out far before the season gets here..I like to get by one holiday before moving on to the next. It can come in handy in some cases, like for seasonal cupcake liners, candies, etc. for school parties. I dont decorate for the holidays until at least the first week of the month that the holiday is in gets past me...

sharona 10-04-2007 08:07 AM

I still remember when the Christmas season "magically" arrived the day after Thanksgiving. While I know it's not practical to do that any more I still wish it could wait until Nov 1st. Macy's had most of their decor up by mid September, and that was waaayyyy to early for me.

Candy 10-04-2007 08:35 AM

I forgot that I also dislike the fact that Thanksgiving is almost a forgotten holiday. It is so hard to find things for it. Christmas stuff is one thing but i still think they should have another area for the current holidays.

trekmom 10-04-2007 11:48 AM

I like Christmas year round, although unless the lights are turned on and decorations lighted I wouldn't really notice if anyone left their Christmas decorations up year round. I honestly don't usually see the decorations in the store to early because I don't normally get to that side of the store. I have looked at Halloween decorations because I go past them everyday and I've heard there are Christmas decorations for sale already-but I haven't seen them yet.
Need to check on them though-I've got a couple of home parties coming up and I've decided to decorate for Christmas instead of Halloween, trying to get people to think about buying for Christmas......Hope it works.