Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Holidays From New Year's to Christmas and Hanukkah too! Find all kinds of fun ideas here.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Favorites

What is your favorite holiday?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If I had been asked this question years ago, I would have said Christmas....but Christmas has become so commercialized!

My first choice would be Easter and second would be Independence Day.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I love Easter because without it, there would be no hope. As I read in a children's book recently "Jesus didn't stay dead, NO HE DIDN'T!"
It is a time of reflection and just to be thankful to my Lord and Savior for what He did for me. I am so grateful...my life would be so different without my daily walk with Him.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You are absolutely right.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

my favorite holidays are: Thanksgiving, because I absolutely LOOOOVVVE turkey...then Christmas, because I usually get the chance to get all 3 of my children together (which isn't often), and the Fourth of July, because there's usually big family picnics around that time, and I very much enjoy that. Family is very important to me, and I treasure the times with family.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Favorite Holidays

Easter (I love Spring, weather, flowers, etc...), Thanksgiving and Christmas. I too TRESURE MY FAMILY and I love spending Quality time with them. We recently lost my grandmother to a battle with Cancer and I treasure every moment I can with my grandfather who is still with us and my mom and stepdad, I try to keep our family traditions alive and going strong for my son, and to be honest myself, I feel like sometimes I am fighting everyone else, they do not like to get together. But I do, I have even made my grandparents feel bad about trying to plan a vacation on a major holiday so they rescheduled it so I wouldn't be upset. Family next to God should be the most important part in your life. Because I know lots of people who either do not have family anymore or are not close to their family and they are not healthy or happy.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Even though it is very comercialized I would have to say that christmas is my favorite holiday. My ds6 proved to me why I love the holiday and what it means. Giving is what it means. We have been trying to teach him that everything that he wants costs us money. And that he can not always get what he wants. In november he was making out his christmas list that consisted of every GI Joe item there was on the market. He really wanted the new talking GI Joe (which I had already known that my mother got him). We told him that he had to save his own money for this because mom and dad did not have the money for it. In our house our kids know that mom and dad grandma and grandpa buy the presents and if you believe in the spirt of Santa you get one special present from him. My oldest dd was told in kindergarden that their was no such thing as santa and thats how I explained it to her. Somehow it got passed on to my other children and my niece. My kids think they are really special since they get two santa presents one at home and one at grandma and grandpas house. Back to my ds6. He had saved enough money for his talking GI Joe and begged and begged for me to take him to get it. We just figured that he would end up with two of them. No big deal since he had saved his own money. He had just enough money. I took him to the store and he seen a Salvation Army bell ringer. He asked if he could give him some money I said sure (figureing he would put a dollar or so in and I would replace that for the good deed he was doing) . My babyboy took his money out of his pocket took a 5 dollar bill out handed it to me to hold and then gave the bell ringer the rest of the money and told him it was almost enough to buy a little boy a talking GI Joe that would not be getting one for christmas and wanted one. The bell ringer looked at me and I had tears in my eyes for what my son did. I told him it was his money and if thats what he wanted todo it was fine with me. The bell ringer told him that he was a special little boy and gave him a handful of candy canes and thanked him. He also told him he had just made the day of another little boy. We then proceeded into the store and I asked him why he did that. He told me mom I know you grandma or santa will bring me my talking GI Joe but there are other kids that don't get anything like that like XXXXX in my class. We went in the toy isle of the store and he found a toy that he really wanted that was $10 so i gave him the extra money for it. The next week at school they had their drawing for the gift exchange and he got the boys name that really wanted a GI Joe but his parents couldn't afford one for him. (I know the parents and really can't). The class had a $5.00 limit or less on gifts. My son asked if he could do extra chores to get more money to buy this child a gift himself. I told him that school christmas gifts did not have to come out of his allowence but he wanted todo this. We gave him an extra $1 for everything he did extra. About 3 days later he called my mom and asked her if she had any jobs that he could do for her so he could earn exta money. My stepdad told him he could go and plow with him and he would pay him (just to sit in the truck with him). With in a week and a half he had earned $30. My son went with his dad to get a present for this child and he bought him a talking GI Joe. My son touched my heart with christmas spirt not once but twice last year.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Kimmer what a really beautiful/touching story. You are one blessed Mom. I know you are proud and rightly so.

Christmas also is my fave holiday. I like to buy (when I can) for the Angels on the trees that most stores have. God bless you and your son.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

EASTER! I love Spring, beautiful weather, blooming flowers, family time. To me Easter is more of a new beginning than the New Year. I never understood the purpose and hype of New Year.

I agree about Christmas. It has gotten to be so stressful, materialistic and the true meaning lost. Has anyone seen those new car magnets? They say KEEP CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS! I love it and have seen it on cards however can't find them anywhere.

TX Chef Fran
Old 01-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

No I have not seen them but would love to have one. Heading to church in a few back online later