Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Australia Day Jan 26

We have a few members on FC who are from Australia....January 26th is Australia day......Do you clebrate it like Canadians July 1st or Americans July 4th??? What is the history behind this holiday???

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Assistant Moderator

Whether it be our 26th of Jan or July I think it's the same patriotic thing.

Australia Day is the 26th of Jan as it was when Cpt Cook of the First Fleet raised the flag in Sydney Cove in 1788 I think (history 101, I never said I passed LOL)
We are Birtish settled and when the civil war ended in the US they no longer took the convicts so the Brits looked elsewhere and found us.
It is also thought that before Cpt Cook that the Dutch found us but thought Aust was not worthy of settlement as they landed in the dry north.
Terra Australis
Meg may be able to add more to that than I.

To us we BBQ we put up our flags and think happy Australia thoughts.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Australia Day

Well I noticed this thread and since my son and almost daughter in law are freezing in New York thought I would join in.

Bilby is right about the history. But there were lots of difficulties with the local indigenous population at Sydney Cove when the first Fleet arrived. Many of these problems still exist around the country today but that is another story.

My family and I celebrate with bbqs beside our pool. We usually eat lamb and kangaroo.....I know ...we are the only country that eats it's national emblem.

We have lots of different salads and for desert pavlova. Our flag flies every day and since private firework shows were banned we have to miss out on that spectacular.

But we do have cricket. We are so blessed to live in Adelaide and so for the last few years we have all packed up and gone to the magnificent Adelaide oval to watch the one day international cricket match.....the Aussies versus whatever international team is here fir the season. But now the cricket program has been changed and Adelaide gets the test match instead...this year against India.

So we will bob around in our pool and listen to it on the radio.

It is usually very hot in Adelaide for Australia Day and by then the long summer school holidays are coming to the end so the kids are getting both excited and a little nervous about returning to school.

Just for your interest today at noon the temp is already 40 celcius about 106 F. Yesterday was the same and there is really no end to the extreme heat in sight.....but we have really good air conditioning and the pool so we are ok. We are just all hoping there are no fires.

Oh and we also celebrate Canada Day because our wonderful son in law is from Ottowa.

Hope this helps a bit in what this Aussie family does on Australia Day.

Janet.........Adelaide
Old 12-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Assistant Moderator

Hi Janet
I'm in Queensland south east corner an hour north of the NSW border on the water.

Also a couple of Victorians here as well.

My mum has just come back from a 3 week holiday doing Melbourne then along the Great Ocean Rd and into Adelaide. She loved it.

Do you watch the cricket? My boys 12 and 17 along with us love cricket, YIPPEE we've won the boxing day test against India and we'll keep on winning LOL Go Aussies!

My lot decided that I should not buy kangaroo anymore as on the several occassions I've cooked it they say it's too strong a flavour.

I was in Coles today and they had hamburger patties that were in the map of Australia how cute.

Not sure what we'll do this year, a BBQ at the local beach maybe.

Nice to meet you.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks for the information, ladies!!

That's really interesting.

I can't believe that it's 106* there now! It was 62* and rainy here today. I think that in the middle of next week it's supposed to dip into the 40s

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bilby...How cute is that...what a beautiful part of the world you live in. We just had 2 weeks in and around Birdsville...the other corner from you but we will be in your neck of the woods in October 2008. We are lucky enough to have 9 weeks off in August, Sept and Oct and are coming in at Charleville zigzagging up past Longreach to Mt Isa then up to Normanton and across the Savannah (my 7yo is called Savannah) Way to Cooktown Then Daintree Cairns then down the coast doing all the bits and bots on the way to the GoldCoast

Actually about the kangaroo...we just saw some horrible footage on youtube with some redneck shooters and they way they kill or more to the point don't kill kangaroos so my whole family has said they will not eat it again unless they can be assured that the killing method is humane. So lamb it is.

Cricket.....Ah.....where we would be without it. My husband just does not get it but all the kids (5 of them) and I and the Canadian son in law just love it. You can keep AFL but give me cricket any time. Just not 20/20 at this time. I'm struggling to get the hang of it. We are going to the redbacks next game so hopefully watching it live will help.

I've been reading your posts for quite a while but really felt I had nothing of any interest to write.

I do sincerely hope you and all of your family and friends are safe from the really bad weather Queensland is copping at the moment. Puts our heat into perspective.

Janet

P.S.....Is your name Kathy ?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Assistant Moderator

5 Kids, you've got my thumbs up for patience LOL
Yep I'm a Kathy/Kathleen. Married 20yrs with the 2 boys, eldest just finished gr 12 this year and is working on getting a full time job. Oh fun oh joy!

Janet just jump in any old time, honestly the ladies here are great for a funny line or chat ... and the games thread has some wonderful moments LOL

We went to the Gabba a couple of years back to see Qld and WA, it was a great game and the boys saw Symonds and Gilly and they were just awed. It's so different in person. 20/20 is so darn fast almost like indoor cricket, have you ever watched that? ds1 did that for 3 years (U10's, 11's, 12) and yikes the reflexes.
Do you think Aust will go to Pakistan next season?

Good heavens you are off a great trip I am so jealous! I have my Daintree holiday plotted for a few years time. Mum has been there with my uncle and they did it by train and hired a car, I have many magnets to prove it LOL
DS1 went to Longreach 2years back for the school music tour, where the trailer on the bus rolled and his guitar was in it, thank heavens for an unbroken spare and insurance!

You know this is the first time I can remember that the sun is not shining at this time of year it feels so freaky to have all this rain at once it's usually just enough to make it humid. The coastal Island have been told to clear out of campers and the new years fireworks are 95% surley cancelled many strong wind warnings.
Happy new year to you.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Assistant Moderator

Sorry for the BTB but just realised that we are the Redbacks opposition! GO BULLS!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Assistant Moderator

Haven't thought ahead as far as Australia day 2009 yet.
The day after is usually when the kids go back to school for the new schooling year, but it's still darn hot till the end of Feb for them, ds2 is in gr9 then.

Australia Day info
Captain James Cook
Australia Day in my Brisbane