Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > High School

Old 05-29-2009, 05:01 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HIgh school Appeal

I don't know if you have to do this else where in the world but we have been very unlucky in schools since we moved.

We moved towns back in Aug 08 and it took us a goo 2 months to get the children in to a primary school (infants/middle - not sure what you call it)

Well my daughter is 11 now and in last year of Juniors and moving into secondary school (high school). we had the forms that had to be filled in for September, but we had them late as they didn't start school in time. We posted them off and was told we would hear which school she would be given.

Our schools here are graded by a company called OFSTED and it lets people know how good or bad the school is operating and what needs to be improved. We have to hand a form in stating 3 choices of school we would like our child to attend and they give you one of them.

They lost our first application form, so we sent off another and they managed to loose that one. Now because of all this we have been given our third choice school (which I am not in the slightest pleased at as it isn't a good school). It is mainly on first come first served basis.

I have now been given an appeal date of 20th June, I have to stand before a committee and say why we don't want her to go to this particular school and why we want her to go to the other school. We had to do this for the primary school when we first moved and it was awful. It was like standing before a court. They scrutinised everything. I know we won that one, but I am not holding out on this one as Kelsey is older now and is meant to be more independent, but she is just 11 and they are stating she can travel on public transport on her own. I would far more prefer her to travel on a school bus.

Oh the joys of parenthood.

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I found your explaination of your school system very interesting.
Here in the US children attend elementary school from kindergarten thru 5th or 6th grade ( ages 5/6 to 11/12). Middle school is usually grades 6 thru 8. High School is normally grades 9 to 12 with the majority of the children between the ages of 14 to 18.
There are both public and private schools in all categories. Public education is much cheaper, because it supported through taxes. In my state you can pick the public school district your children attend through Open Enrollment. There is some paperwork to fill out, but for the most part it is a simple process and allows children to change public school districts fairly easy. Open Enrollment does create some competition between public school districts and has made schools improve there educational offerings so they are more desirable.
In my area all public school have their own school buses that take care of all of the transportation needs. I do think that in larger urban areas that city or public transporartion probably is used as well as transportation provided through the school.
I can understand your concerns about having your 11 yr old using public transporation daily. I hope everything works out and your Dd will be allowed to attend the school you think is the best for her.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

They brought the date forward and it was today, this meant I had to go alone, and arrange for my dad to pick the children up from school as I would be later back.

I didn't do a good job at it though and left me feeling very silly.
I researched the appealed school and also the given school and wrote own all I wanted to say and ask.

I got there and knew exactly what I needed and wanted to do, got called into the committee room and had an major panic attack. I managed to calm myself a little to start the consultation and listened to their reasons why she wan't given the school of choice, but it came to my turn and the panic attack hit again, but this time I could breathe and totally lost it and passed out, so we had to abandon it.

I feel o silly and so fed up with it, I had an idea a panic attack my come on, but really tried to control it, I do have big issues with this a part and parcel of my depression.

I feel like I have totally let her down.

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am so sorry to hear things didn't work out today. Will they reschedule the appeal so that somebody can go with you and help you? Can you do the appeal in writing so that you don't have to go infront of people?

You didn't leave your daughter down. It isn't your fault they changed the date.

Charlotte
Old 06-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds like you are really getting a runaround. I hope you are able to get it resolved in a way that best fits your daughter's needs.

My state is different from Joy's. If you attend public school (state- and local-funded) you must attend the one in your own town. If you attend private school, no such restriction exists.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you both

I think what our problem here is there are at least 5 schools within our area and so there is wide choice.

We have decided to go with the allocated school a I really do think that I wouldn't cope with it again. I asked if we could do it in writing but they said 'no' it needs to be done in person and because there is a lot of people who are going through the appeals system that there are very few dates available and the dates that are, my hubby is working and can't get relief.

We really need to get it sorted by the 1st July as the schools do their transitional day and my daughter need to know what school she i attending transitional.
I really do feel for her, but I know I cant do it, I know it sounds selfish.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is an interesting school system, we just plonk our kids in any school that appeals to us (we need to contact the school and have an interview to make sure it's what we're after) schools can't deny you unless you have expulsion issues previously.
To have so many schools close by but not be able to get in is interesting.

My Cam went to an out of suburb school didn't like the one close by, when high school came along 2 Januarys ago (calendar year for schools here) he had to start a school where he knew no one because the high school is local and he has really surprised me with his nice friends and his growth.

Hang in there and just let her know she can chat to you anytime.
Keep us posted on how you go and how she adapts, kids can be very resilient.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well today she has had her transnational day, all the children in the Bradford area move up a year for the day so they get time in their new class before September start.

Kelsey went to her new school, she has enjoyed it (I think) she has come home a little quiet. I think she is just taking it all in. She spent the day 9-2 in the school, they let them out 1/2 before the rest so the older ones didn't push and shove and scare them.

We have a parent and child meeting at the 'new school' tomorrow evening, so we both can air concern or find out about things that we may need to know about the school and it's routine, so I will let you know how this goes

Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good Luck!hope it works out well for your dd & she does well in the new school.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Got back from the meeting tonight, we all had to sit in the hall with the 180 new children for the year.
The head spoke then the achievements teacher spoke, then some older pupils already their told us and showed us the uniform, then we split and went to the class tutors room (form rooms) and we met the forum tutor.
Kelsey's form tutor seems really nice and Kelsey seemed to get on very well with her.
The shops that stock the uniforms were there and so was the bus companies so we could ask questions as to buying uniforms and how the children travel to and from school

All in all it was a very informative and productive evening
All in all we had a good evening