Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > High School

Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What Extra Curricular Activities are High School Kids Involved In Now?

What sort of club or activities are high schoolers involved in these day?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My son's school has a lot to offer students with just about any interest.

Here's the activities that he is involved in:
Cross-Country running (fall) and Track (distance--winter and spring)
Flying Club (yes, they get to fly airplanes!)
Ultimate Frisbee
REBEL and Alternate Activities Club (related clubs; they are anti-alcohol, anti-tobacco, anti-drug education and they sponsor fun "risk-taking" activities like rock climbing trips)
Stage Crew for the spring musical

And he's a Boy Scout working on his Eagle.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami my son is one year off of high school but he is a teenager. He is very into Martial Arts and now attends adult classes and helps teach the younger kids.

4-h is still very active within our farming community. My kids are not in it but have lots of friends who are.

Dance...specifically step dancing is big i our area along with that is Fiddle playing and piano lessons...we have a big festival here every year so it pulls alot of kids into it.

Rock climbing has become a big hit with older kids.

Guitar lessons are also fun

We have one friend who is really into go carting

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hailey is a Soph. this year and keeps busy with after school activities. Here is her list so far this year
Band--an all year committment.
Quiz Bowl
Drama--she has a minor roll and is part of the chorse in this falls musical.
Speech
Model UN

Our school offers many things for kids to get involved in besides the traditional sports. We even have an Outdoor Club that goes Trout fishing every year.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My six year old is going to partake in a program put on by a Christian based organization called Upward. It's a basketball/cheerleading league and she will be doing the cheer leading!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:28 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Right now my dd is waiting for her black belt in Taw Kaw Doe.She still goes to class and helps out the younger kids.
My middle dd is going to be in band,she will start the swim team in about a 1 1/2 months.
My youngest is going to start in Girl Scouts and she will start swim lesson in the next session at the ymca.They aslo have CCD which will be starting up soon.

Mish
Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have a GGS that is in wrastling and one in cheering and another in football and my 4th grader is into socker there are more but it would take all day will post more later.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Both kids are involved in the high school marching band. My 16 yr old son plays trumpet and my 14 yr old daughter plays clarinet. They placed 3rd in their first competition on the season today!

My son also takes trumpet lessons (paid for by him with his McDonald's money) and also plays for an all age drum corp.

My daughter is in 4H and shows her dog.

This is plenty to keep them very very busy (and me too)
Old 09-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MY older DD is a senior this year.. but High School has offerd so many extra-curricular activities that she is involved with.

She is in the Marching band..( so is youngr DD) That takes up a lot of time with football season, competitions ( State Champs last year) and Parade season in the spring. Then there's band camp for a week in the summer. They only have Dec and Jan off..

She is also involved in the Drama Association . She has done stage crew since 6th grade.. and was House Manager last year.. this year she is Crew Coordinator and an officer. She has developed real skill with power tools as well as theatrical construction and lighting design.

She has been a Peer Mediator since 4th grade, and is still doing that and is an officer in that club too.

She is a member of SADD ( students against distructuve decisions) and the Rockland Youth Council (a state organization that does public outreach for youth issues in the community) She has also been involveed in Reality Check :Youth Against Big Tobacco.. since 5th grade. They do a loto of public education..

She used to be on the Volleyball team, but got cut. The team is very competitive.

Outside of school, she's a 4-H member, and plays golf.

PS : Daisylady, my HS daughter plays Sax, and my 13 y/o is in the Colorguard.. Me.. I'm a glorified roadie. We parents have a "club" we call T.O.F.T.S. ( Too Old For This S....) lol. They area small band .. only 38 members, but they took State in their division last year, and out of 17 bands, came in 4th in All States.. I was very impressed.. Don't you just love marcing band? I have some photos in my album,, but have no clue of the URL ( yes.. I am a fanatic)

Last edited by Lifestar; 09-16-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When my dd was in high school she was in the Spanish Cub and took dance lessons outside of school (tap, ballet, pointe and modern) She also joined the hip hop dance club in school and was in both the high school drama club and our community drama theater group

Ds1 is a senior this year. He is doing soccer this fall and does track every spring. He is also senior class treasurer and in the Latin Club He does a lot of volunteer work outside of school.

~Mother Theresa