Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > High School

Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

High School Schedules

There are so many different schedules that high schools follow! What are the pros and cons of the schedule your high-school student has?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This year my son who is in his second year of high school will begin "block scheduling." It's a new idea for this school. Students will have longer class periods but finish a course in 5 months instead of 10.

For the first half of the year he will have:
Phys Ed/Health/Driver's Ed
Religion
Mythology
Honors Geometry

Starting in late January he will switch to:
Spanish
Honors English
Honors US History I
Forensic Science

I worry that he will "lose" his Spanish by not having any foreign language for these first 5 months. Being a certified Spanish teacher, I have let him know that I think we will spend 30 minutes a week doing a little review so he doesn't have to relearn everything in the spring semester. Amazingly, he didn't protest!

I also worry that his light schedule first semester will enhance his natural laziness
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

Hi Barb,

Joshua was on block scheduling all through middle school and his first two years of high school. Starting this year, they put all the schools back on traditional scheduling. He has 7 periods a day now, instead of the 4 he had been having. I personally prefer the traditional schedule. They cram soooooooooo much into the block scheduling. Joshua just started back to school this past Monday, and he says he already likes this traditional schedule. For him, I think it will be a good thing.

Good luck to your son!!!

-Midgard Morningstar

Connie

Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our school has the traditional period day. I have heard of block scheduling, but don't know of any schools in our area that use it.
I would share your concerns, Barb, about retaining the knowledge learned with a long period in between classes. I would think that, especially with a language, it would be important to have daily practice.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My kids have 7 periods a day. Ds is in first year of HS and does a full range of subjects including Indonesian, History, Geography, Science, Phys Ed, English, Maths, Bible, Art/Graphics, Drama.
Dd has a fairly full range, although has dropped Indo and is doing computers/info tech and textiles.
They both seem to have a good work load and do well at school.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

In our high schoolthe minor classes like art, phys ed, etc are blocked in half semesters; the major classes including language are whole year with periods of 43 minutes each.

The students are not required to take a lunch and many don't but after trying it for one year we went back to insisting on at least 6 free periods a week including the 5 for lunch. This year dd2 has 8 free periods as she picked up two bands and a choir but no art this time.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DD1 and DD2 go to two different high schools. Here in Lincoln all high schools are open to all students since there is NO bussing anyway.

DD1 goes to a school that has block scheduling, and DD2 does not. Personally, I prefer the block scheduling. It gives students the opportunity to immerse in only 4 subjects at a time instead of 7. They must take "two semester" classes back-to-back. Because of the block schedule, she will graduate in January, instead of June.

Kathy
Old 08-27-2007, 02:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think the block scheduling is ideal for when the kids take lab sciences, or art classes, or anything where a longer period of time will help them get more done.

For things like English or history, it just doesn't matter.

But for math and foreign language, the depend on daily practice, block scheduling is not a good way to go.

Big DS's friend is here with us; he is going into junior year and this will be his first year with block scheduling. He is not looking forward to it.

I think the school might be sacrificing good sense on the altar of innovation, in order to attract students who have to have the latest & greatest.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

my boy's that are in high school have the same schedule i did in high school 17yrs. ago. the traditional 7 periods a day and changing their special classes such as cooking, child developement, whatever they chose every semester. i prefer this schedule but i think they could do away with so many study halls and make the classes a little longer. my boy's also say they don't get long enough lunch period and they have to rush. i know that is true from when i was in school, you spend most of the time going through the lunch line.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am bumping up this topic again as my youngest ds is starting high school this year and they are changing the whole high school schedule. Instead of the normal 7 periods a day that they have always had, this year there will be 8 class periods and 3 periods of time for activities to support education (11 periods total a day) There will be one schedule for Mom, Tues, Thurs and Fri and the schedule will be different on Wed. The whole thing sounds very confusing to me. One of the education activities is called Connect 10 which is working in small groups with teachers. Does anyone else have anything like this in their high school?

~Mother Theresa