Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > High School

View Poll Results: Should soda machines and vending machines be allowed in high school?
yes 13 31.71%
no 23 56.10%
unsure of how I feel about this subject 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby
Wow you have a McDonalds in an actual shop? That store gets around doesn't it.
You're not kidding Kathy! .. Some of our WalMart superstores have McDonalds or Subway restaurants.. Those are just two that I am familiar with... Our local Target store has a Starbucks and a Pizza Hut..

That's not as bad a a local High School with a McDonalds IN THE Cafeteria... and worse than that is a Children's hospital I read about with a McDonalds in their cafeteria. ( I forget where that was.. it may have been in Manhattan)

Our HS and secondary schools sell a la carte stuff ( like deli sandwiches, soups and special lunch salads) that kids can purchase in place of the hot lunch stuff... I personally have no problem with it. We also have a point of sale computer system in all the schools that track what a child buys with his/her lunch account, and parents can get a monthly print-out to keep track of what their kid is eating.

Kids are assigned a "credit account" with a personal code that follows them through the grades.. That way you can send a check in to the lunch fund account, and your child doesn't have to carry cash around. And wether thy use the account or cash, their food purchases are still entered. It's used for inventory purposes, but a parent can track their kids eating habits.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has a McD's for patients, staff and guests. Maybe some others do too.

What I resent about complete bans on things like this is that they backfire. I don't doubt that there is an obesity problem among children--I've been in enough schools and volunteered in enough lunchrooms to see that for myself. But the school is not the one who has to do the job of dealing with a child's diet. That is up to the parents and their doctor.

My own children are very slim. My older sun runs cross-country and track. And it bothers ME that they can't get whole milk in the school cafeterias. Everything is 1%.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Everything we do in life must be in moderation.

This covers all phases of our life..not just food consumption.

Janet
Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I'm new here.

I voted yes and agree completely that they are old enough to make their own decisions. Trusting them to make the small decisions helps them make the larger ones. It is not the state's responsibility to raise our children.

BUT...the times they could be purchased could be limited. When I was in HS, the lounge was open before and after school, not during lunch.

Two years ago, our elementary school offered whole milk. Now, due to the dietary guidelines, they can't even offer it as a choice.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree whole heartedly about the choices in school-I already commented on the soda issue and think they should allow the sodas

On the milk issue--kids in elementary school are still growing and they need whole milk for their body growth. My gd had to get a note from her doctor so they could get whole milk for her-she's under weight for her age and she's supposed to have whole milk, chocolate milk, anything to help her gain some weight. Healthy meals are fine-but they can make the basics healthy.
(I don't like milk myself, and haven't since I was in elementary school, but I make sure we have enough in the house for my gk's)

Pam
Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd
Hi! I'm new here.

I voted yes and agree completely that they are old enough to make their own decisions. Trusting them to make the small decisions helps them make the larger ones. It is not the state's responsibility to raise our children.

BUT...the times they could be purchased could be limited. When I was in HS, the lounge was open before and after school, not during lunch.

Two years ago, our elementary school offered whole milk. Now, due to the dietary guidelines, they can't even offer it as a choice.
Welcome to FC, Fudd. Fudd is the nickname we gave to our son-in-law. If you can, stop at the Introduce yourself thread so others can greet you!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I cast a "NO" vote, because when I was growing up and attending school, we had water-fountains, so I see no reason as to why kids today shouldn't be graced with the same.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

It did not hurt me or mine to have only water
plus all that caffeine ugh!
They serve only certain things for the lunch but let them
have soda. Steven rarely has the $$ to buy soda so that
is good
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Put my vote in for the machines, but balance them with healthy choice machines. Not everyone wants one or the other all the time. Balanced diet, remember!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'll start by saying that the nutrition services dept. in my district follows a strict state and federal guideline for the kids meals and snacks. The ruling was made a few years back to not sell any more soda pop in the cafeteria but the highschools could still have the machines in other areas. Guess why? The money from those machines goes to the SPORTS dept. Gotta keep that funded right?