Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Education > High School

View Poll Results: Should soda machines and vending machines be allowed in high school?
yes 13 31.71%
no 23 56.10%
unsure of how I feel about this subject 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am somewhat mixed on the subject... I think that machines should be allowed if they have healthy snacks/juices in them. My son is in middle school and they said last year that they would only offer healthy drinks- but I don't know what they call "healthy", most of the fruit drinks are loaded with sugar. These usually cannot be purchased after lunch time, or before lunch but as an afternoon snack if participating in an extra curricular activity- and also at lunch if they desire extras. To stop this I limit my son's money daily.

Unknown
Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If your child still gets money from you than you can sit the about they can spend on soda or candy that way, but if they make their own money you really cannot control what they buy to much so it boils down to what a child has been taught.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chadsmom, I like that idea of only being able to purchase if they are in certain activities! Maybe they could make the vending machines to only accept their specially made coins and those could be earned from good grades, community service, and so on. But, I really think that children that are getting close to being an adult on their own should be begining to make their own decisions for their own purchases.

Nell, since you live in Texas I should tell you about Texas family law. In Texas, a parent can claim ALL the money that his/her child makes until he/she is 18! So, you have more control than you think. You can go to the establishment your child works for and tell that boss that YOU will be picking up their paycheck as their legal guardian as per state law. I could go deeper into all those little laws, but I won't bore you. Nell, I don't see that your children are the type that you would need to go that far though. I have high admiration for your kids! But, if you should have problems, or anyone else for that matter, you can always threaten to confiscate their checks.

I learned this when my kids, especially my DS, told me that I could do nothing about him skipping school. I contacted a lawyer and learned a lot. Too much too late. That is what grandparents are--parents who know it all! lol I started questioning why we parents could go to jail if our children didn't go to school, but we couldn't make them go! Now, I know that I could go to my child's place of business, where he works and take all his paychecks as his legal guardian. If the business won't comply, I can take them to court, which nobody wants to do.

I dealt with things well with my kids, in spite of all the wonderful knowledge of being a parent of a teen for the first time. Both my kids are very close to me. But, I would have done things differently in that I would have ran a tighter roap! lol

I still go by my philosophy that kids need to make choices and be made accountable for those choices as they get close to their adult life.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I voted NO for the soda machines in school. Our HS here has not had soda machines for a couple of years..instead there is bottle water, assorted milks,(chocolate, strawberry, plain, etc.) Propel, and OJ. The vending machines have raisiens, nuts,pretzels, gummy bears, yogurt candy, etc.

THere have been so many reports about the state of our kids health, the diet pops, the reg. pop, and juices..we have to watch our sugar intakes.

When they first made the switch..there was alot of complaining..but after breaking the sugar habit..they are doing great.

Now I am going to show my age..in my HS we had no hot lunch..we had to brown bag it, or do without.
Also, we could not wear pants to school..dresses or skirts..and the boys had to wear dress pants, shirt & tie. THis was a public school too. lol
Janet

Last edited by janet; 07-30-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I voted yes... In our HS (10-12th grades) and Secondary school (8th and 9th grades) soda machimes only vend sugar-free sodas, fruit juices, bottled water and "Gatorade" type drinks. Our district voted to sell and serve only foods that conform to the Federal "Dietary Guidleines for Americans; 2005".. The snack machines have pretzles, 100 cal snack packs, baked chips of all kinds, and other healthy single serving packages. Even what's in the teachers' lounge has changed to confoirm to federal guidlines. There are no vending machines for Elementary and Middle Schoolers (Pre-K through gr 7)

We got rid of all our proprietary vendors ( coke, pepsi, good humor, etc) and all the free stuff that went with them...

What horrifies me is McDonalds, Burger King and other fast food restaurants holding cafeteria contracts inside schools.. It's bad enough to find them in WalMart!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestar
I voted yes... In our HS (10-12th grades) and Secondary school (8th and 9th grades) soda machimes only vend sugar-free sodas, fruit juices, bottled water and "Gatorade" type drinks. Our district voted to sell and serve only foods that conform to the Federal "Dietary Guidleines for Americans; 2005".. The snack machines have pretzles, 100 cal snack packs, baked chips of all kinds, and other healthy single serving packages. Even what's in the teachers' lounge has changed to confoirm to federal guidlines. There are no vending machines for Elementary and Middle Schoolers (Pre-K through gr 7)

We got rid of all our proprietary vendors ( coke, pepsi, good humor, etc) and all the free stuff that went with them...

What horrifies me is McDonalds, Burger King and other fast food restaurants holding cafeteria contracts inside schools.. It's bad enough to find them in WalMart!
That is an excellant idea!!!!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I voted no because in my area it is offered in middle school and I do not think 10 & 11 year olds are old enouth to make that decision. In hs I offered my kids so much a week. if they bought it was from their $$ as I always had food at home

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I voted yes for "HS" age kids to have soda machines. I worked for our cafeteria IN JR High for 13 yrs & they were not allowed to bring soda in lunches nor buy it....no machines in cafeteria. As a parent of 2 all of you parents would be surprised at how much of the kids lunches are thrown away & yes even the healthy loving food prepared from home.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestar
Wow you have a McDonalds in an actual shop? That store gets around doesn't it.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I voted yes. I feel a high school student has the right to make this choice. Most of the kids I know have jobs and are making their own money. If they are responsible enough to hold down jobs, I think they are at the age where they will be responsible in other areas of their life. School isn't the only place they can buy snacks and the teens do buy snacks weather you like it or not. If an 18 year old can go in the service I just don't understand why a teen 16 and up can't make his/hers own choice on a snack.......