Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

wintering herbs

I have basil, stevia, orageno, lemon balm, tyme and sage. I have before brought my stevia in the house. I will bring in some of my lemon balm since I use it for dd's JRA. It gets cold here, most herbs winter kill. What should I do?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

bumping
Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

It might be helpful to know what zone you live in as far as cold weather goes. Most plants have a zone that they will winter thru. Covering your herbs in the fall with straw or leaves may help give them protection from the winter cold and next spring they will come back and grow.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Assistant Moderator

I live in zone 5. It can get cold here lots of wind too. I think I will take the potted ones into the shed for the winter.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member

Connie, I've done both. Left the parsley, sage, thyme, oregano? in the ground, stays good until December and comes back in the spring. Garlic too. Be sure to use a light mulch and look for mice if using straw. The frost sensitive ones like basil I bring in and put under lights. If you remember to water them and use a timer, they are good all winter, then I put them back out on the deck in the spring. Actually, since having a dog and watching her pee on my chives, I keep all my herbs in pots now and keep them going year round.

Lights are easy. A 4 foot shop light and two bulbs, drip pans, and a timer set for 16 hours minimum.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM
Head Moderator

I bring in a few for the winter, but most I just leave in the ground and let them come back next season. It just depends on which ones you will really use in the winter. Some of them I pick and dry and then I have even those for winter use with the original plant outside ready to come back in the spring.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Nine Year Member

connie, I have bought stevia in little packets to put as sweetener in coffee. How do you use it from the fresh plant?

Has anyone had any success with mint indoors? I am supposed to be a good gardener but for the life of me, cannot keep a mint patch or plant alive! LOL!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

Ellen for the life of me, I can not figure out how to use fresh or dried homegrown stevia! Drives me nuts.

My mint outside grows like crazy. I have been killing it for years trying to get it under control. Indoors well that is another story. I don't think mint likes to be brought inside.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member

A long time ago, like 15 years ago, the first plant I had was mint and it was crazy in the yard so I moved it. It has not forgiven me since!

How did you come by the stevia? I'll have to google it to see what it looks like.