Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Herb Growing for Beginners?

I have been meaning and meaning to try a small herb garden and I finally decided today that I'm just going to do it. I am very much a beginning gardener and would like some pointers from people who have had success with herbs.

I live in Houston, which is pretty hot from about Late March to November, and we're in our coldest month right now. There is a particular spot in my backyard that will get direct sunlight for most of the day where I'd like to try the herbs. It's right outside my back door so if I'm successful, I can open the window right above the intended herb bed and hopefully the smell will waft inside the family room. *grin*

I would like to try two or three to start off and see what happens. There are also a lot of neighborhood cats, so I need something they won't be interested in chewing up! Does anyone have any particular suggestions on harder-to-kill herbs that can take direct sunlight?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

catwoman if you want to plant mint (any kind of it) plant it in containers as it will take over your herb garden. When I first started planting herbs one lady told me this at a festival but I figured she didn't know what she was talking about ( heck she was just in the herb bussiness for 40 yrs what did she know LOL) well the mint is all over my yard now you can't kill it no matter how hard you try.
One herb that is easy to grow is lemon balm and it smells so good. Rosemary is one that is hard for me to grow I can't seem to winter it over so I just buy a new plant every year. I go to a herb festival every year in June and that is where I get my plants and learn alot about growing them for I talk to ppl that has been growing them for years. Well good luck and happy growing!!

Rosey
Old 01-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I just started three years ago, on a learn-as-you go basis. Now I have some thriving perennials such as oregano and several thymes, fennel, chives and tarragon.

It's at the stage I need to thin them out and chop them back as they are so exuberantly happy. I double-support putting mint in a buried container unless you prefer it to grass for any lawn.

Be sure to consider plants' final heights and sun needs so as to avoid having to dig them up again and move them around when something else grows too big.

Believe me, that's not something you want to have to do.

The annuals then can be planted each year, with the same basic rules for height, spread and sun.

I winter my parsley in it's containers in the garage, along with other plants and keep some chives going inside, through our winter, in a pot with good exposure.

I only wish the rosemary would come back every year. Maybe down south there.

If you enjoy cooking with fresh herbs then there is nothing like it. My garden is out front and I enjoy going out in the afternoon shade to pick the seasonings for supper. I make it a leisurely activity with my colander and scissors and scheme up supper's flavour as I sit on my stool.

Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Is it gardening season already? Hmmm, I always look forward to the spring because I can start on my veg patch. But this year it has been so cold the last few days that even thinking of going out side is running a shudder down my spine!
Mine is also 'learn as you go' garden that I've been doing for the last 6 years.
Mint, Rosemary, thyme, Cilantro, Dill, there's no limit on what you can grow in Houston. Every thing grows and grows well too.
Just start one and you will get good at it.

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members