Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Healthy Eating Tired of the same old boring snack food? Share ideas here to spice up your low fat snacks and meals!

Old 08-14-2002, 08:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Question How do you teach your child to eat veggies?

I am always looking for a way to get my child to eat veggies....does anyone have any suggestions? I want my child to be a vegetable eater.

janet
Old 08-17-2002, 05:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Janet!!!
I have been blessed with 4 boys & thankfully only 1 of them WILL not eat veggies. At least he doesn't think that he will. I often shred up carrots & put them in: speghetti sauce, stews, on top of pizzas, chili etc.....They are so small and blend in so well that he doesn't even realize it. I have also shredded up some summer squash which he swears he would never eat What they don't know definitely WILL NOT hurt them. That's just 1 idea from me.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Idea Kim! I have shredded up carrots and put it in a meatloaf before, I 'll have to try that when I make spagheti sauce.

janet
Old 08-17-2002, 05:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My children are practically vegetarians. When my girl was little she was allergic to chicken and we really haven't given neither of our children a lot of meat since.. However when I know that I have other peoples children visiting i hide the veg in the meal. Shredded carrotts in meatloaf for example. Also just using fun dips or meatless burritos (that is my kids faxorite) jenni
Old 08-17-2002, 06:55 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have been very lucky as all of my children love vegetables. But I often sqeeze more veggies in by making spahetti with carrot and zhucinni chunks and chili with carrots (I also add hunks of hotdogs). Some other things I do is make zuchinni bread, zuchinni brownies, carrot cake and morning glory muffins. The muffins are neat because they can eat them for breakfast and don't even realize that it is really good for them. Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My child actually used to eat veggies till he got to the age to say NO! lol I hate the battle now...he does eat some veggies, broccoli, corn, sugar snap peas,carrots....

I eat only small amounts of meat. 3-4 ozs. a day at the most..many days none. I get protein from other sources, tofu, beans, cottage cheese etc.

janet
Old 08-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

most kids who dislike veggies will at least eat mashed potatoes. i started making m,ashed CAULIFLOWER - steamed, then pureed with butter and a lilklt sour cream or cream cheese, salt and pepper, sometimes topped with shredded cheddar. my kids now prefer it to spuds! i also make a fake rice from cauliflower, i grate it and steam in the microwave. plain rice is pretty tasteless anyway, its what you put on it that flavors it, so put gravy or butter or cheese over it.

zucchini bread and carrot bread are other ideas, too ohhhh, and listen to this, speaking of zucchini. peel and alice zucchini into wedge-shaped slices. cook it in apple juice/cider with lots of apple spice added. sweeten, thicken the liquid, top with crumb topping... voila! apple crisp! except it's zucchini for dessert! i swear it works! i use splenda, as we dont eat suhar in my house.

rani
Old 08-17-2002, 12:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

give them the veggies they might like like corn on the cobb.. otherwise what kid won't eat anything with cheese on it...it worked here many many years ago.....i still eat them that way
Old 08-17-2002, 12:58 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Glad I'm not the only one that sneaks veggies lol! I grate a zucchini and carrot into tuna salad, sneak spinach into spaghetti and lasagna, and dice them up very small to put on pizza--under the cheese, who's gonna know lol!
Old 08-17-2002, 01:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi me again i posted earlier about topping them with cheese i just talked to my mom who did this to me years and years ago....she said shredding them and cooking them in other foods takes all the nutrients out of them...is she right...thats why she did the cheese trick on me even thogh i knew they were veggies i couldnt resist the cheese..like i said earlier i still eat them that way.......more than 30 years later..........thanks mom.