Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Healthy Eating Tired of the same old boring snack food? Share ideas here to spice up your low fat snacks and meals!

Old 03-18-2002, 08:33 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Top 10 Foods You Should Kiss Bye-Bye

I found this article on ediets.com. I am please to announce that I had already eliminated all of these! Yay!

Top 10 Foods You Should Kiss Bye-Bye
by Bridget Kelly
eDiets Staff Writer

If youíve been around the dieting block, you probably know that giving up certain foods can make you want them even more. For this reason, nutritionists agree that a healthy, sustainable eating plan allows you to eat practically anything in moderation.

However, there are some foods that just arenít worth the damage they do to your waistline. (Donít despair, thereís always a better alternative.) Here are 10 foods that we recommend kissing goodbye:

1. Donuts This dessert-disguised-as-breakfast is a true diet buster because itís both loaded with sugar and deep-fried. One Krispy Kreme glazed cruller packs 250 calories and 16 grams of fat. Opt for a bagel or a low-fat muffin instead (your waistline will thank you).

2. Real mayonnaise Thanks to the eggs and oil that comprise this favorite salad spread, just one tablespoon of the real stuff contains 11 grams of fat and 100 calories. The reduced-calorie version has half the calories and half the fat, but you can go still lighter by spreading mustards, relishes, horseradish and many other condiments on your sandwich.

3. Mozzarella sticks Full-fat cheese already contains more than its fair share of fat, most of it saturated. Deep-frying boosts the fat and calorie content even higher, making this popular finger food a serious nutrition no-no. Snack on convenient, part-skim mozzarella string cheese instead.

4. Movie theatre popcorn A super-size bag of this snack, typically popped in vegetable oil and doused in butter, is enough to turn your tummy into a double feature. Believe it or not, some candy is actually less calorie- and fat-laden than popcorn. If you must munch at the movies, opt for licorice or gummy bears (stick to one serving) -- or smuggle in some air-popped popcorn.

5. Hot dogs These ballpark staples get 150 of their 180 calories from fat. It makes you wonder whether they qualify as meat at all. The nitrites contained in hot dogs have also been linked to increased rates of cancer in some studies. For a truly tasty, low-fat replacement, choose grilled veggie dogs or chicken franks instead.

6. Fettuccini Alfredo This favorite at many Italian restaurants is made with eggs, butter and cream. Do we even need to do the math? Suffice to say, itís possible that one serving has more than your recommended fat for the whole day. A heart-healthier red sauce can be just as tasty.

7. Ranch dressing At 170 calories and 16 grams of fat per two tablespoons, this popular dip base is just not worth the weight you can gain by eating it -- even if itís carrots and celery youíre dipping. Fortunately, there are plenty of perfectly tasty lower-cal alternatives around.

8. Soda While technically not a food, soda is often included among the list of culprits in the nationís increasing weight problem. With no nutritional value and as many as 12 teaspoons of sugar in each can, most nutritionists see no reason to keep it in your diet. If you canít give it up, at least choose diet soft drinks, which are calorie free.

9. Premium ice cream You knew it was bad, but did you know how bad? A measly half cup of ice cream can have as many as 20 grams of fat. And if you go for an extra scoop, itís quite likely youíre doubling -- or even tripling -- that serving size which can mean your entire dayís worth of fat in one bowl. With so many creamy, rich, low-fat or fat-free alternatives on the market, youíre sure to find a more sensible substitute.

10. Bacon Cheeseburgers Anything that combines two forms of meat with full-fat cheese is not likely to be diet friendly. This heart-stopping favorite at Burger King packs a whopping 400 calories and 22 grams of fat. A Bacon and Cheddar Deluxe from Arbyís has 539 calories and 34 grams of fat.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

While I have eliminated most of these, I still have the mayonnaise, hot dogs (but only Sabretts) and the burger and cheese and bacon (but ones I make)

I think I will check out ediets to see what they have to offer.

Old 03-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I can jump in and say that I have eliminated them too !

I might have an occasional DIET Pepsi, but it is very rare.

This is good new !!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:05 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

top 10

Regarding the diet soda...
I recently heard that aspartame is very
hard on your liver (TV Program Rhonda Live).
It was suggested that real fruit juice
and carbonated water would be a better
choice that aspartame sweetened drinks
over the long haul.
Reduction of soda, alcohol, sport
drinks, fruit juice are still recommended
when maintaining or losing weight.

Here's the good news - what you can eat:
Complex Carbohydrates such as brown rice, potatoes, grits, oatmeal, shredded wheat, beans, corn, cream of rice, whole grain pastas and breads, turkey breast, chicken, fish, egg whites, lean venison, sirloin, eye of round steak, pork center tenderloin, canned tuna (1 gm fat kind), chicken or turkey packed in water, broccoli, celery, green peas, cabbage, cucumbers, cauliflower, spinach, eggplant, radishes, green and red peppers, carrots, lettuces, squash, onions, asparagus, tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, water.
Avoid enriched flour products (ritz crackers) and
purchase instead whole grain products (Triscuits).

I'm asking my local grocer to bring in different
products because I am frustrated with his selection
of snacks. As I hear about better choices, I make
subtle suggestions about perhaps bringing it in.
e.g Romaine lettuce, triscuits from Christie, etc. I'm going to even
try getting in natural peanut butter. wish me luck!

www.AnswersInGenesis.org
www.chp.ca
Old 08-11-2002, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Im in massage therapy school and I learned our body weight cut in half is how many oz of water we need a day and if you arwe sick drink more., especially after a massage too
Old 08-12-2002, 07:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hey clutterbug, I just printed out my grocery shopping list--your post. Thanks alot!
Old 03-01-2003, 05:44 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

:mad:

Donuts??? Oh no!!! I love donuts!!!

OK, OK, I knew that I shouldn't eat them!

Actually I don't eat too much on this list.

My problem is fries, even though I bake them.
I usually order them when we go to eat instead
of a potato or rice (must be an Irish thing).
And don't suggest those sweet potatoe fries, yuck!

Don't care for mayo - love Miracle Whip (I even
use it in place of ketchup once in a great while)!

I'm bad, very bad....

Old 04-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've given up most things on that list. Diabetes will cause that change.

I DO eat low fat or fat free hotdogs and low fat ranch. We'd have mutiny in our house if we didn't keep ranch dressing. The dgks love it.

Popcorn: we eat Orville's low fat kind. It's good!

I knew I was eating healthier but it's nice to have it reinforced.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My Dr. told me once: "If you are going to eat cheese, you might as well just slather it on your hips!" For some reason, I have always remembered that!

Sandy
Old 10-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

How will I live without my donuts, ice cream and popcorn....

I'll do it...but I won't like it!