Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Any Relief for Cold Sores?

I have been cursed with not 1 but 4 small cold sores on my lips--2 on the top and 2 on the bottom.

I have been loading up on L-Lysine, which seems to be helping to dry them up a bit. But they are now really starting to hurt. Any suggestions?

It has been a long time since I've had a breakout this bad.

Anyone have a home remedy to help me?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, a doctor told me it was a lack of vitamin A. I get them from dry lips caused by indoor air at work. I keep them wet with chapstick but my fav is blistex. I also got them from bleach when practicing CPR. Dr. said nervousness will cause them too. Sorry I don't have a home remedy for ya. Just wanted to respond.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi My dad made me use Listerine on cotton 3 times a day not the new kinds but the old fashion one juse dab it it will smart but it will go away and also you neen more of the A Vitamin .

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tami, have you been tested for herpes type I? I had cold sores all during my childhood. I was born with them and they even thought it was thrush when I was little. I tired all the cures, including L-Lysine, but it didn't work. My dentist gave me some drugs, including lidocaine, just so that I could eat. By the time my children were in high school, a doctor took some blood tests and told me I had the non-sexually transmitted herpes. He gave me Valtrex, which DID get rid of them! I had never gone without mouth sores in my life before that drug came out.

Now, I don't take Valtrex anymore as I drink silver on those occaisons in which I get them, which is rarely ever now!!! I don't know why, but once I drank a little silver, they went away and never came back.

I make my own, but you can go in a health food store and buy it. But, it is expensive. You may be able to find a small bottle for about $25, depending on the parts per million of silver.

I know I am an extreme case, but it has worked in a miraculous way for me! Silver kills viruses on contact. Under a microscope there may be living on a slide. As soon as silver is added, they die. You can also make it yourself if you want to prevent from getting other viruses such as colds or flu. But, beware, silver does build up in your body. Silver minors get a skin disease, which is only cosmetic, from the build-up of silver. It can take 5 days to exit the body. So, during the fall, I make my own and take it only when I have been exposed to illnesses or when illnesses are going around. eMail me if you decide you want instructions on how to make your own.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

My Doc put me onto acidopholis tablets as they are stronger than the tubs of yoghurt etc, they seem to work but I must say that I've never had more than 1 at a time.

My mum swears by putting a dab of strong perfume on them 3 tiems a day to dry them out

Old 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

If I'm really stressed out, I get cold sores. I've had as many as 3 at a time. One other time, as soon as one went away, another took its place. That went on for four weeks!

Anyway, I use Abreva. It's expensive but will last for a long time. It comes in a tiny little tube and I use it as soon as I feel that first scratchy little tingle.

I used to use the L-Lysine, but had a hard time swallowing the pill. It seemed so large that I almost choked taking it. That totally freaked me out so then I would avoid it and here came the cold sores!

I've read the other posts stressing a need for vitamin A. I'm curious, what foods or other products contain vitamin A? I take a daily multi vitamin; I guess I need to check and see if a sufficient amount of vitamin A is found there.

Tammy
Old 10-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Nine Year Member

abreva and don't wait to put it on, it is worth every bit of the $17 it costs us

the homeopath gave us some marigold tincture and also an antiviral dropper but it was so bitter it was hard to put down the throat, and the acidophilus.

Two theories on the herpes simplex: squelch it and it will keep popping up (abreva) and boost your body's immune system and treat locally so your body fights off the outbreaks successively better each time (homeopathic)

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Where does this come from? My 8yo ds has gotten these since he was little & neither my dh nor I get them? I'm very interested to see this info. Since I can't feel the first tingle, it is hard to treat it quickly. Also, sometimes my ds will lick his lips, then wipe his shirt across his lips to dry them off. (Of course, I've told him not to, but does he listen?) So this makes his lips chapped & it is hard to tell the difference b/t chapped lips & the beginning of a cold sore. Do you think the lip licking could be because it is tingling? Also, I've wondered about this: the carmex type balms moisturize, but the cold sore treatments dry. That seems contradictory to me. Oy. I don't feel like I'm making much sense. I guess I should just ask, how do you handle this in children? Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DD1 gets cold sores frequently, generally only when she gets a cold. I have to agree that Abreva is well worth the price. It seems like as soon as she uses it, they improve drastically. Also, taking zinc at the first tingle helps a lot. This also helps to reduce the severity and longevity of a cold.

Kathy
Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

MKS, I had it as a child and it was terrible!!! Have you taken your DS to the doctor? They have so many terrific antiviral medications now that they didn't have when I was a child. I just sat and cried through my meals because it was so painful to eat. I don't know if Valtrex can be given to children, but it kept me from breaking out with between 8-20 sores every day of my life inside my mouth. Valtrex prevented me from having very many. Then, I discovered colloidal silver. I would swish with it and then consume it. I haven't had a single mouth sore (you heard correctly, I have hod zero mouth sores) since I used silver. I don't know how I've been able to go from an average of 10-12 sores per day to none. I don't take the silver on a daily basis. In fact, I haven't had any since last fall. But, I am not complaining.

Other things that have helped me are Kenolog which is available only by prescription and can only be used on the outside of the mouth. You can also try the Oralgel for the inside to help with the pain until they heal.

I really feel for anyone who has the mouth sores. I know how painful they can be.