Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I take multi vitamins too
It has to help some
Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
Haley's grandmom

Every year we make sure to get flu shots, as I'm prown to pneumonia. We eat lots of fresh garlic in our food and I really think that helps. Plus fresh veggies and orange juice and other fruits. also, wash your hands a lot.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ginger Ale

My friend swears by it. Whatever ails you.

I was just visiting her a few weeks ago. I also am prone to bronchitits and pneumonia. When I arrived I started hacking worse. I thought I should have seen the doctor before I left on vacation, but as always, think it will clear up.

I called my doctor and her partner said to flush my sinuses and take over the counter med. Of course I was mad, because I know when I'm getting bronchitits. So I went to the pharmacy and got some musinex.

My friend made me drink gingerale. I think the combo of that and the musinex helped. It all cleared up in a week.

My friends doctor has always said gingerale.

It may not cure what you have but it will lessen the symptoms.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try. I have some gingerale stocked up.

Makes sense to me, when women are pregnant they say to suck on candied ginger to ease morning sickness. I even suck on candied ginger when I get a sore throat.

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Where do u find candied ginger and such?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

When my kids were younger it was gingerale with a freezie in it,let the freezie disolve in the gingerale and it helps to stop them from throwing up,at least it did with my kids.
Also if you feel like you are getting a sore throat,keep black licorice around,it works great on a sore throat.
I get pneaumonia every year,and I can't take the flu shot,so I stock up on gingerale and black licorice.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We buy baby wipes and put a pile of them in a quart ziplock bag. Add about 1/3 cup of alcohol between the layers in 3 or 4 places, gently squish a bit with the top open, and then seal. We keep them ALWAYS in the car and use them every time we touch anything anywhere when we are out in public. We also take vitamin C regularly, and if we feel like we are coming down with something, we take 2,000 mg of vitamin C every half hour for 4 doses. Most of the time that prevents us from getting sick, but if we take it too late, it usually makes the cold or flu very mild and cuts it way short.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I can't express it more, but get the FLU shots when they are offered. You may not combat the flu season completely, but you will sure get less of it and for a shorter time period. I am a chronic Bronchitis suffer and I had the big Flu shot while I was assisting my MIL w/her health issue - mainly because I didn't want to contract worse than the flu, it would make traveling between the 2 states more agitating than it already was, and my MIL really needed all the help she could get to stay healthy during her crisis. You want protection get the shots when they are offered, eat right, get plenty of sleep, and drink lots of "water" based fluids
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hee hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainlady View Post
What works best for you in helping to prevent colds and flu? (Or lessen their duration when you do get sick?)

hugs,train
For me it's drinking allot of non-carbonated and/or non-caffeinated fluids, getting the vaccinations when they're available, getting plenty of rest, dressing appropriately for weather (layers if cold in mornings (etc), and hermit-crabbing it when others around me are sick... also as many "natural" vitamins as possible (esp Vitamin C)
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 08-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

The biggest thing I do for flu prevention is wash my hands! I wash them many times throughout the day. I run a daycare so am always wiping little noses etc. so washing my hands is a must. I also air the house out occasionally. It also helps to get enough sleep so I don't get run down. I make sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables too. this year I may get the flu shot.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cold/flu virus prevention

I take garlic pills during the flu/cold/virus season. Drinking a lot of fluids, including hot tea, helps wash the germs out of my body. I also stay away from doctor's offices where sick people are in the waiting rooms. Aloe Juice is another liquid I drink to keep my body healthy.