Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hip PAIN

Hi everybody, Just wondered if anybody has any exercizes or any ideas for pain management for sciatic nerve pain? The pain is really bad at night and makes sleeping almost impossible. Also seems like it is taking less and less walking, working, etc, to aggrevate it. The pain runs all the way from my hip down the outside of my leg. Any help will be very greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 11-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the info...don't know what kind it is... the dr just said it was the sciatic nerve, caused by too much weight, to take ibuprofen and lose weight. The ibuprofen doesn't help at all, the pain is still there and constant. Can't afford another dr bill so am just trying to find things on my own that will help. Thanks again!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hip pain

Hello, I had the same problem for about 6 months and tried everything. This is what I did find that helped me. Massotherapist-massage at least one time a month , roll a towel up like a tootsie roll and place it under your back right above your butt, sleep like that if you can. If you are a side sleeper place a pillow between your knees when you sleep. ICE ICE ICE20 min on and 20 off. Beleive it or not most of your pain comes from your back.

I know the pain is just awful. I had to stop working on my feet. I am a hairdresser so there went my career. I am only 33 and weigh about 155 so they couldnt say it was my weight or age.

I really hope this helps you....
Take care,
Old 11-24-2003, 04:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I started with the same pain. I took Ibuprophen and I was taking 15 pills at at time. Later I found out that I have arthritis in my whole lower body including my back. I cannot afford to go to the doctor either, so I just take the over the counter stuff. They tell you to keep moving but sometimes I just can't; and it is either sit down or fall down. I have actually fallen a couple of times. I am only 30 and I have been like this for the past 6 and 1/2 years. I know losing weight will greatly help but I have other health problems that are getting to me so trying that at this time for me is not good. If you can, I was told to walk up my block and back down 1 time. Doing this until I could do a little more and then going to 2 times a day. This should help you a little especially if you have not exercised in the past. It is a slow and easy thing to do. Not for me since I have asthma too.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I totally sympathize...I've had back problems throughout my life even though right now (thankfully) I'm free from pain.

I highly recommend you check out www.immunics.org since it teaches a life changing approach to pain and illnesses.

Good Luck!
Mari
Old 11-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hip Pain

Oh my gosh! That pain and numbness in my leg and lower back is the worst pain I have ever had. I would have to have some one lift my legs into the car and I needed help with dressing. The doctor wanted to do surgery but I held out. I was miserable. Even with major pain pills I was still in major pain, but groggy.
Now I exercise a lot and I think that's what has helped keep my problems away. Extra weight is bad. I try to do back strenghtening exercises once or more a week. Fight this or it will get worse. Force yourself to move as much as you can.
I wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I also suffered from hip pain for a long time. Unable to sleep, sit for long periods or even anything lightly touch my hip area.
I found out that I have bursitis in my hips. I used to get injections every 6 months, but now am up to 3 to avoid it getting out of hand. There is not much to do to alleviate the problem. Walking up stairs, sitting, sleeping are all difficult when they become too inflamed, so I try to stay ahead of the game. Since the hip is not a joint, you are not as limited to the amount of injections you get as with a regular joint, i.e. knees. I work retail,, with most shifts an entire 8 hours without a break due to single coverage. I have worked retail for 30 years. My doctor said that this is the overall cause of the problem Eventually I will have to find some other type of work, but this is helping for the time being. You might want to have another assesement of your problem. They thought that was my problem also at first. Good Luck....I know how excrutiating the pain can be and how it affects your life.

Lizajane
Old 11-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hip pain.

I am on my feet most of the day too. I teach. It is funny that sometimes just bending the wrong way puts me into major pain. Like sometimes stepping off a curb sets it off. I have been OK for about a year now. I really do not want the back surgery, although it has come a long way.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A reputable chiropractor could help you. Sciatica is an irritated nerve and chiropractors work to keep the back in proper alignment to reduce pressure and irritation to the nerves. Insurances are even recognizing chiropractic medicine now.

I personally go at least once a month. I have scolosis of my lumbar spine, arthritis and am overweight. (Like others getting the weight off would help immensly, but it is easier said than done.) I also have a TENS unit (uses electrical stimulation to relax the muscles), moist heat and stretching exercises to help relieve my pain and keep going.

I have found that stress and tension aggravate my back. You might also try relaxation exercises.

I've also read some good thing about accupuncture, but there are none available in my area that I know of.

Last edited by griffes; 11-24-2003 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hip Pain

I am definitely not male! I have been afraid of chiropracters since I saw a "60 Minutes" segment on them.
The gym membership has helped in all areas of my life: emotionally, physically - back problems, sciatica, cholesterol, blood pressure, stable sugar, gives me someplace to go everyday.
Good for weight control too. Muscles are stronger to support the bones better. Exercise is going to be a permanent part of my life.