Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-30-2002, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Back surgery complication?

Hello! My question is that my husband recently (9 weeks ago) had back surgery. Recovery is going well with one exception, his leg is giving out on him (daily) and he falls! I am wondering if anyone else has had this/heard of this type of thing happening?
Old 07-30-2002, 03:31 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had back surgery about 10 yrs. ago and I had some complications like that too. Mine was from nerve damage from the ruptured disc pressing on nerves in my spinal column. If it doesn't get better soon I'd surely consult with the dr. .
Old 07-30-2002, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you PrairieRose! We did mention it to the doctor, and he indicated that it was probably a reflex...from a pain...like when you touch a hot stove and pull away! Was your surgery done in Texas? He had his in Houston. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My husband had surgery on his back 10 years ago. It was not successful. He has constant pain in his back and down his left leg. The doctors say that it is because there is so much scar tissue around the nerves.

If he weren't so strong and stubborn he was be unable to work but he has managed to work 2 jobs for a total of 80 hours a week for many years. I recently convenced him that I would like to be able to enjoy him and live on less money than to have money and loss him because he over worked himself. At 62 it is time to slow down;-)

I agree with PrairieRose if your husbands back continues to bother him I think you should see the doctor again or even see a different doctor that might see something that our doctor hasn't seen. Whe they look at a patient for so long sometimes they may over look something that another doctor that is not faimilar with the case may catch. It has nothing to do with weither the doctor is good or not it is just the human in them.

My prays will include both of you. I know how hard it is to se your mate in so much pain.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, they have ordered an EMG which will test the nerves/muscles. We will have that done next Thursday! They send little shocks to the nerves and insert needles What fun for him! Thanks again for the support!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Tell your husband to try to relax as much as he can. It is uncomfortable but if you can relax it is easier. Does he have any relaxation metods - deep breathing - visualization - there are many others. If he does tell him to try to use them.

I will be praying for him next Thursday. What time is the test?

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dear Stitcher,
Thanks, I will try and get him to relax. So, are you familiar with this test? It is next Thurs the 8th @ 9 a.m. They are going to do both legs. I will let ya know!
Old 08-03-2002, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm sory to hear that your husband is having so much trouble. I know what a difficult experience this is. May I ask what kind of surgery did your husband have? Was it a laminectomy? A discectomy? What level of the spine was involved? Was more than one disc affected?

I know from personal experience, it can take up to 18 months for nerves to fully regenerate after a spinal surgery or injury. I had 2 discectomies in my lumbar/sacral spine. One in 1988 and one in 1995. After the second operation I was temporally paralized in the left leg for a few months, and after that my leg would "give out" when it got "tired" for months afterward. My surgeon called this "nerve shock". But it stopped happening after about the 18 month period just like he said it would.

(Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in that leg also worked wonders for me. )

The EMG tests were not pleasant, but not awful. At first it feels like someone is snapping a big rubber band against your skin. Then as they do the needle portion of the test it feels like novacaine injections at the dentist office. (You know the part before it gets numb)...not nice, but bearable.

Once the test is over, the pain doesn't hang around. When it's over, it's over. No soreness or anything, but you will probably want to drive him there and back anyway, just for the stress factor!

Good luck to him. I'm still suffering with a bad back all these years later. It's an awful thing..but then again he will never have to add pregnancies to his bad back! LOLOLOL!
Old 08-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes Neavon I have had the test several different times. Like Lifestar said it is not a pleasant test but I have had many that were a lot worse. And as she said also when it's over it's over. I found the more relaxed I could get myself the better it went.

I will be praying for him on thurs at 8. Hopefully I will not be in my gradaughter's trial yet. ( We have to go to trail to have her declaired a Child in need of assistance - she will become a ward of the state -- long story and sad)

Old 08-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dear Lifestar,
Thank you for posting, at least we can look forward to the 18 month mark! I don't remember the name of the surgery, it was traditional, cutting..not laser. He had 5 herniated disks and they only were operating on the worst one...L4 or 5. It was protruding I believe... The xray looked kind of like when you hard boil an egg and some boils out of the shell! Sorry that wasn't much info, sometimes you just hear it over and over and over....I will be driving him Thursday. And, on the positive side, it is his left leg so it doesn't affect his driving!