Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-24-2002, 06:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dry and cracked heels??????

The heels of my feet have several cuts and cracks. They are very painful. Does anyone out there have any solutions to this problem? Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2002, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Before bedtime, use a pumice stone to smooth the skin. Then slather the skin in a very thick soothing cream, like Neutrogena hand cream, or a thick cream with chamomile (soothing for dry skin). This should feel so good. After the cream is generously applied and massaged in, cover your feet in very thick socks and go to bed.

By morning your feet should be smoother and less painful. You may have to do this for several days/weeks, especially if the cuts or cracks are deep.

Some people might suggest using vasoline instead of cream, but I don't like the petroleum products in vasoline (should be called "gas-o-line" coz it certainly smells like it!) and I like to use more naturally soothing products with herbal extracts.

I think lavendar foot creams can be soothing too, and have an aromatherapy effect....but I've never used lavendar foot cream so I can't attest to it like I can with chamomile creams.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi!

My husband used to get cracked and sore hands from working outside in winter. He found a cream that works for him. He even uses on his feet. It's called "CRACK CREAM". Strange name! Wal-mart sells a tube for about $5. A little goes a long ways. I have several friends that agree that it works for them.

Hope this helps,

AuntieKLE
Old 09-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

High every one. With the cream I wrap my feet with cling film + the sock and it helps .. My problem is I feel lazy to do it evry night after the hub is asleep!
Cheers
Old 09-30-2002, 05:09 AM

Candy-

I use a product for milk udders on cows, it's called "bag balm" made in Vermont but you can buy it at Target in the pharmacy or at any farm supply store, it's like vaseline but doesn't have any smell. A farmer friend told me about it when us girls were looking for those paraffin wax machines that soften your hands, it cost about $5-6.00 dollars but mine has lasted over a year and it works great!!

Anna
Old 09-30-2002, 05:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Do you have an Avon lady? They have an amazing footworks line that has special pricing about once a month. I've heard nothing but positive feedback from people who use it.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There is an ointment available from the pharmacy called Aquaphor that is great too. It's like vasoline except without the smell, and it's extra medicated. You have to ask for it at the WalMart pharmacy counter. My peditrician recommended it for diaper rash (worked great, by the way!), but I've used it on my hands and feet too. Sometimes, I put it on my hands before bedtime and put on some plastic gloves. My hands are so soft and smooth in the morning! I'm going to try it on my dry, calloused heels too with the cling wrap. It's $4 something for a small tube or $7 something for the tub.

Janey
Old 09-30-2002, 06:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The shower-pumice stone-lotion-socks before bed idea is great.
There is one more thing to remember...wear shoes and socks during the day. Going barefoot or in sandles really dries out your feet. Sandels are fine to wear...but not constantly.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Topical ointments are great, but you might think about the cause rather than the symptoms. I was told by a Reflexologist (foot massage) that cracking heals may be a sign of poor digestion. I've tested this out and it sure seems true for me. When I am polluting my body my heals crack (and my feet smell). After I gave up soda/pop and started drinking lots of water instead, plus adding more fiber products to my diet and adding other healthy things like fresh veggies/fruits, my feet generally stay soft and odor free. If I binge on junk my feet start acting up almost immediately. Just something to think about!

Good luck!
MauraM
Old 09-30-2002, 06:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had that problem but have it under total control now with a simple solution - it will take a week or two (depending on how bad they are) but it's well worth it.
Mix 1/2 tsp. of sugar with enough vasoline to cover your feet (about 2 Tblsp) - mix together (I put it in a small glass jar to keep any extra handy.)
Rub this mixture into your feet - and put a pair of socks on over top of it. I do this in the morning and at night before bed if they are bad. The sugar is gritty and works at your feet. The vasoline keeps them moist and soft.
I use this on my hands during the winter months too - I keep the jar by the kitchen sink and rub it in and wipe it off with a paper towel. You will see the difference on your hands right away. My husband works outdoors and uses this all the time.
Good luck!
Gwen