FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Health & Fitness (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-fitness/)
-   -   2010 Weight Loss Contest (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-fitness/26719-2010-weight-loss-contest.html)

CalGalInFla 01-14-2010 04:53 AM

2010 Weight Loss Contest

Starting 1/18/10, anyone interested in losing the holiday (or pre-holiday) pounds can join this thread. The contest ends 3/08/10.

Here are the guidelines:
1) Each participant must post EACH Monday, to include the start date. (I know Lisa, you can start on Tue... :) This will keep out "cheaters" who come in and post they lost just to win the prize.
2) You do NOT have to state your weight. You can simply state, "I have 13 pounds to lose" and then report in each Monday on your progress.
3) The first person that follows these guidelines and loses ten lbs by 3/08/10 will win a $25 American Express gift card. There might be a runner up prize - we'll see how we all do.

We are here mostly as a support system, as we did with the last contest, so if anyone needs a boost, there are many people here to help you over the rough patches. Instead of late night snacking, post here!

Let's make 2010 our best year yet!

Go forth ladies! Here is to a healthier, and lighter FC!

J~

Please note, that FC recommends that anyone beginning a new diet or excercise program do so under the guidance of a medical professional. FC does not promote or suggest any program.

Good luck to all!

Contest ends 03/08/10
NOTE: Open to U.S. & Canada
Entrants must be 18+

Lislyn66 01-14-2010 05:03 AM

Woohoo! Okay, well, I'll be brave and state my weight on Tuesday. If the Biggest Loser contestants had to weigh in front of their home towns, in spandex no less, I can at least post my weight! I'll go ahead and state that ultimately I need to lose 50 lbs. Might as well get that out now!

Hugs to us all!
Lisa ;treaddd:

CalGalInFla 01-14-2010 05:12 AM

Dear Brave One - Good for you. I am so happy you are our first poster.

We have a few days to stock up on healthy snacks and drag the tennies out from the back of the closet, or drive thru McDonald's and eat 42 Big Macs before we start. Hee hee!

I hope we get lots of replies here today.

J~

bluebird 01-14-2010 06:55 AM

Yes! This sounds like fun!!

Minny 01-14-2010 07:27 AM

Gonna try this again...the first time it didn't post.

Good luck to all. I want to lose 10 lbs but I actually need to lose only about 5 lbs, so I won't enter this one. I'll be here to lend my support for all.

RobertaD 01-14-2010 08:37 AM

I want to lose 30 lbs. at least this year. I figure I'll work on the 30 lbs and see how I feel.

Roberta

ajrsmom 01-14-2010 08:51 AM

I'm in!

I need to lose over 50 lbs but for right now I'm taking it 10 lbs at a time.

I'm 4 days in to my low carb plan.

This Monday coming up will be my weigh in for the first week. :)

Good luck and hopefully everyone will be feeling a little better at the end of this!

happymomof4 01-14-2010 09:26 AM

I am in. I am trying to loss 20 lbs this year. So far for this year. I am gaining instead of lossing. Will see what happens this week.

apricot 01-14-2010 10:01 AM

I need to lose about 50 pounds but think I will work on the first 15 first. I will post on Monday's but it may Monday evening. If I turn the computer on before going to work I end up getting distracted and late to work.

I also have another issue with high cholesterol now and my doctor told me to lose weight if I don't want to take medication so have some motivation from that too.

Good luck to all.

FullCircle365 01-14-2010 10:21 AM

I'm in too! I need to lose a lot of weight, but know I need to take it in small steps. I sure could use the encouragement. I'm looking forward to starting this next week...the first time I have done anything like this!

bunnyboo 01-17-2010 01:56 PM

me too

Well I'll give it a shot. I need to lose over 50lbs also,but I too will take baby steps to keep from getting discouraged.10 to start & hopefully it will be more as the year goes.Here's to us, we can all do it together. I too will be on in the evening after work.
Good luck everyone.:waterm: :exe:

CHADSMOM 01-17-2010 02:15 PM

Okay, I'm game! I actually should lose about 40 lbs. I have my diabetes in good check so now it's time for my weight to be also... We did this at a job nearly 30 yrs. ago, and we had a lot of fun, and were supportive of each other. We were all winners as far as I was concerned... Ten lbs. is a good starting point for me. Mine will probably be a slow go as I recently lost 10 lbs., well since mid November, but I am looking forward to this!:)

Minny 01-17-2010 06:21 PM

You are all winners.. even if you don't lose any at all.. at least you gave it a try! Good luck everyone!

ajrsmom 01-17-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minny
You are all winners.. even if you don't lose any at all.. at least you gave it a try! Good luck everyone!

That was the sweetest thing for you to say, Minny!

:bighug:

Minny 01-18-2010 03:21 AM

Thanks Tami.. I just hope I can help in a small way to encourage those that need to lose weight.

CHADSMOM 01-18-2010 03:57 AM

This begins today, correct? So next Monday we just need to report our loss for the week? **Just want to make sure I am doing this right:) ** I'm ready!

CalGalInFla 01-18-2010 04:26 AM

Today is the day ladies! Here we go! Minny, can you please be our official cheerleader?? You are so kind, helpful & supportive.

EDIT: The docs scale said I am 2 and 1/4 lbs. from my goal. (I feel it needs to be said I lost the bulk of my weight last summer with the help of the gals on the Starting a Fitness Routine thread, and it was very helpful.
Thank you again ladies.....) This checking in and having to report each week is very helpful for me.

I stopped at the market and got lots of healthy dinner "stuff" and F & V's for my folks and I. We are having baked salmon and NO carbs tonite! (I bake my fish in white wine, a small dab of butter, capers and loads of veggies). I just had my green apple and hummus for my snack. Nummy!

I am looking forward to lots of posts here today! :)

J~

PS - Tomorrow starts me back at the gym. I think I told ya'll I got the green lite. Thank goodness. Been 2 months I think?

RobertaD 01-18-2010 05:10 AM

I weighed in at 163 lbs. this morning and I want to lose 30 lbs in a year so I guess that works out to 5 lbs weight loss during this time period.

Roberta

CHADSMOM 01-18-2010 05:13 AM

Here goes with me...well, my info. I am going to put it out there!

My ULTIMATE goal is: 165-170

My Weight just now: 208 (gained 2 lbs somehow!)

So, here I go on my mission... Have a wonderful, healthy day girls and good luck to everyone!

apricot 01-18-2010 10:15 AM

Okay, since some of you are brave I'll post my starting weight too - 195. I'm going to try to lose about 2 pounds a week as recommended by my doc.

Minny, Keeping cheering us on !

CalGalInFla 01-18-2010 10:24 AM

Chadsmom, Apricot and all - this is a safe zone and we are here to support you. You all helped me, and Connie and we will help you in return.

If this helps, sometimes I get really bizy and dont run down to grab my can of tuna or salmon for lunch. I bought some full bars. The intended use is to consume before you eat but I used it as breakfast today, since I had to run out and no time. Man - it totally filled me up until I had my lunch. Ask your doc - but after eating just one, I think they might help if you tend to eat bigger portions than recommended.

Keep a movin!!!

J~

Minny 01-18-2010 12:12 PM

OH GOODY GOODY!!! I finally get to be a cheerleader!!:cheer: I wanted to be a cheerleader in high school but at that time our school required that I have 2 yrs of dancing school/acrobatics.. I couldn't afford to go to classes so I couldn't be on the cheering squad, so I'll be the official "cheerleader" for you all. :cheer: ... NO ACROBATICS THOUGH.. I'M A LITTLE TOO OLD FOR THAT STUFF lol.

happymomof4 01-19-2010 02:39 AM

I will post my loss/gain on Wednesday's. I go to Weight Watchers that day. I go by their scale. I can't see the little #'s on mine to well. I can say it the scale hasn't been good to me this month.

RobertaD 01-19-2010 02:48 AM

Charlotte there is an older couple at church that is doing the Weight Watchers and they jokingly said that they have had to give back the "lost 5 lbs" stickers.

I don't know what happened since Thursday but I gained 3 lbs. hopefully that weight will come back off quickly.

Roberta

Lislyn66 01-19-2010 03:51 AM

Morning girls! I'm back home and ready to go!!!

Got on the scale this morning and it said 216.

I'm still wiped out from this weekend, need to get a little more sleep and I should be ok. Must wake the girls up for school, then back under the covers for me for a bit. Bet you I can't sleep when I get home, haha.

Hugs to us all!
Lisa

CalGalInFla 01-19-2010 03:53 AM

I think January is a ruff month. Such a let down after the holidays and then the "grinding halt" of the goodies. I have not gone to the gym yet today. Dad going to docs so have to stay put until he returns.

EDIT - Lisa! Welcome and please nap for me. I have been up since 2am. OMG. SHOOT ME! My husband is bringing a colleague home for dinner, making cog au vin and how I will find the vim and vigger to do that AND a workout is going to be pushing me....I need more coffee.....im grouchy. :(

J~

FullCircle365 01-19-2010 05:41 AM

Okay ladies...I really need the support! I got on the scales today and weigh 277. I lost 75 pounds in 2008 and have managed to keep it off, but have put on 7 pounds since October 2009. I do not want to go back to how I was before EVER! I know I need to step things up and go to te gym more...so starting today! I will have to take each day at a time.

Lislyn66 01-19-2010 05:55 AM

FullCircle, you go girl, you can do it! Hey that was a great amount of weight loss before, you must be so proud of yourself! We're here with you!

J~ no time for a nap for you? I'm not going to end up sleeping, too awake now, and with NO caffeine! I've got a load of towels in the washer and am about ready to slide into a nice, hot bubble bath! I don't think I could yoga today if you paid me...that will be tomorrow!

Good luck with the dinner, I've never made that before.

Hugs,
Lisa

bluebird 01-19-2010 08:45 AM

I am 147 today need to lose to 120.

We can do this girls!!!

apricot 01-19-2010 10:48 AM

J, I hope you feel better and find some time for a workout.

Lisa, I usually can't go back to sleep after I get up either.

Yesterday morning I spent about 3-1/2 hours trying to get our front yard looking decent, after being neglected since early November, and counted that as my workup. This morning I went to the dentist and got a filling replaced. Now I have no appetite for lunch.

Good luck everyone.

bar_bar 01-19-2010 03:00 PM

wishing you all well.
I've been needing to lose weight for a long time, with the grief I've been going thru, I've lost alot. At my son's wedding 2 yrs ago, I was able to wear a 16, tried on something last night and it was a 12 in jeans. I sat and cried.

now if I can just tone up. I'm not in this contest but wishng all of you the best.
will try to come in and cheer you gals on.

CHADSMOM 01-20-2010 06:12 AM

Bar-Bar I lost too when Jerry passed away, but not in a healthy way- just wasn't hungry for weeks... At my highest I was 262 and lost over about 3 years to 220 or so, then am not trying to do this fast. I have yo-yo'd the past year and was at 221 in mid November, and 208 now, so have gone down some... I am trying to eat a low fat, low cholesterol diet. I have basically cut my salt completely as so many foods are already full of salt when they are canned. We have been eating a lot of steamed veggies (in the package for microwave). My son and I are doing this together...We also eat fish twice a week, baked or broiled

Minny 01-20-2010 06:55 AM

Ladies, I'm rooting for you.. it's hard to lose the weight, but remember this...it took a long time for the weight to pile on so it will take awhile for it to come off. It will happen one day

RobertaD 01-20-2010 07:49 AM

Do to not having the van today I will be walking 3 miles total to get dd2 to school, drop off RX for DH and wait on them to start when he gets home, and to pick up the van.

Roberta

happymomof4 01-20-2010 11:28 AM

Went to WW today. Lost 2 lbs this week.

Lislyn66 01-20-2010 03:51 PM

Charlotte, congrats on the 2 lb loss!!!

Lisa

bar_bar 01-20-2010 04:16 PM

:tuppp: way to go Charlotte :tuppp:

I need to lose flab, in the tummy and under the arms. LOL,
even the oldest gd said to me" Nana, now you losign this weight, now you need to lose this, and was playing with my flab on the arms. LOL
Kids..

Remember ladies it almost weekend, do not go overboard just because it is..

If you not lost any weight, don't give up, you can do this.. I know you can... take little steps.

apricot 01-20-2010 06:58 PM

I walked a mile to a DVD this morning. Good thing because it was raining too much to walk on my morning break. We've had 70 mph winds, which is a monster storm for CA, with oak trees falling all over the county, so I'm playing it safe and staying in as much as possible.

CHADSMOM 01-23-2010 05:13 AM

I need to get on my treadmill as it's been a long time... I've not stepped on the scale since Monday, only because if I haven't lost it discourages me... Keeping my fingers crossed though :)

bluebird 01-23-2010 07:42 AM

I went to yoga class this morning. I also signed our family up to the wellness center for six months. If anyone doesn't use the center then they owe the family budget $75. Including myself.