Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks for all your feed back.
I know it's not up there on the grand scale of things, although there are some much more serious cases out there, for me it was just unexpected.

Sammi that must ahve been a bit scary esp after having a child not long before hand.

Sue my fingers crossed that your hubby goes well in the gall bladder fixer upper process.

I'm just surprised I got that's all, not to say we aren't all.

I have high cholesterol so stay away from most fatty foods any way so maybe not enough staying away from it LOL

Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I have had gall stones since late '92 so far no real trouble and I eat pretty much what I want too. I don't eat the fat on say pork chops never have eaten fat on any meats. I also have a hiatel hernia which so far does not bother me and found that out right around the same time as the gallstones
Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've never had gall stones so nothing to contribute but wanted to send you my love, Kathy!

hugs, train
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Kathy so sorry you are having this problem..
Gallstones are hardened deposits of digestive fluid that can form in your gallbladder. Gallstones range in size from as small as a grain of sand to as large as a golf ball.

Gallstones are common in the United States. People who experience symptoms from their gallstones usually require gallbladder removal surgery. Gallstones that don't cause any signs and symptoms typically don't need treatment.

Here are some risk factors:

Being female
Being age 60 or older
Being an American Indian
Being a Mexican-American
Being overweight or obese
Being pregnant
Eating a high-fat diet
Eating a high-cholesterol diet
Eating a low-fiber diet
Having a family history of gallstones
Having diabetes
Losing weight very quickly
Taking cholesterol-lowering medications
Taking medications that contain estrogen, such as hormone therapy drugs

Hugs Janet
Old 09-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Nine Year Member

Kathy,

I had to have my gall bladder removed. I dealt with the symptoms for over a year, as I do not LIKE doctors. LOL Not too bright on my part. I had one stuck in a duct, I was jaundice, eyes as yellow as the sun!!! BAD!!! I was in the hospital for 8 days. First procedure was to go down my throat(I was knocked out) and remove the stuck stone. And two days later had the surgery to remove the gall bladder. My healing was a little slower, as I am diabetic. But I survived. You will too, my friend!!!

-John Wooden

Connie

Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member

By the way, they gave me pictures of the gall bladder, it was CHOCK FULL of stones.............LOL

-John Wooden

Connie

Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Janet, my dd1 didn't fall into any of the categories tyou mentioned.
She was 12 whern she first started having symptoms. When I took her to the ER they would check her for pregnancy, an ulcer, her heart,appendicitis, you name it they tested for it. Her doctor even said Does she have a test in school tomorrow? She was a straight A student so I let him know I wasn't happy with that diagnosis.
Her symptoms were excrutiating pain in the middle of her chest and some vomitting of a yellowish gunk.
After 2 years of this, a doctor inthe ER said I think its her gall bladder. He called her doctor at 2 am and said order an U/S of her stomach/upper GI area.
They found gall stones. So at 14, she had her gall bladder removed. Being a pediatric patient they kept her over night. She was back to school and tap dancing classes in 5 days.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HUGs to you Kathy!
I had my whole gall removed back in 1992, one month before we moved from California, USA - Illinois, USA. I remember it like it was yesterday... the good news is that I had the newer, less scaring operation than my mom had had nearly 30 years before me! I'm not sure which was more fun 3 months of morphine shots because my doctor could not find anything wrong with me, or the loopy medicine they gave me on the way to surgery (the day after I was diagnosed with marble size shooter stones in my gall)... maybe it was the hospitals ceiling slats. lol either way I hope you are able to pass yours without another reoccurance, and the doctor is able to help you moderate what ever caused your stone in the first place.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 09-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Coll,gallstone disease is relatively rare in children....but as you know now..it can happen.. When gallstones occur in this age group they are more likely to be pigment stones.Pigment stones are composed of calcium bilirubinate, or calcified bilirubin. Pigment stones can be black or brown.

Hugs, Janet
Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Nine Year Member

Kathy, How are you feeling? Hugs.......