Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What have you done healthy for your and or your family?

What changes have you made towards a new healthier you?

We stopped using white sugar last winter. The organic white sugar is twice the price so we don't use it much. We are using more brown sugar and honey. Overall our sugar consumption is much lower than it used to be.

This week we are trying organic milk. I don't know if I will be able to afford this trend or not!

Baby steps toward a new you!!

What have you done?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have increased the amount of fruit and vegetables we eat. I have switched from white bread to whole wheat, also switched to whole wheat pasta. I have cut way back on junk food. If it's not in the house, we'll go for a healthier snack. I also have switched from drinking diet soda to water.

Kathy
Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Nine Year Member

I've been increasing the number of vegetables and fruit served at meals and have more variety of fruits available for snacks.

I've been using the whole wheat pastas for about a year and buy the whole wheat white bread at the bread store when I can get it. DH has a fit when the bread isn't "white", LOL.

I've been attempting to add more water instead of all the iced tea that I drink.

Roberta
Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

In the last few years we have changed our diet family wide. We eat more whole wheat products. Much more fruits and vegetables. Very little if any soda or junk food. We eat at home at least 25 days out of the month if not more. We pack our lunches for work which is much healthier then eat out. We eat more fish and leaner meats.

Dh is on a low cholestrol diet. I have loss about 15 lbs in the last year. So eating healthier has really helped us.

Charlotte
Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Nine Year Member

In the past week we have changed things. I am on a cardiac diet. No cold cuts, etc. I love sandwiches so this is difficult. We ar eeating more fish, salads, etc. I always ate wheat bread so that is not an issue. DS ate whiter but now wants to jump on the "healthy" wagon with me. This will be good for him as he has stomach problems. Any good low cholesterol tasty recipes are welcome here. I don't want to go off topic, but I am new at this.
Connie thanks for posting this!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Laui and Charlotte and Kathy!

I have looked at whole wheat pastas. Most have flax seed in them. I am drinking fruit smoothies for breakfast and snacks. I use cottage cheese for protien to help my blood sugar. Pure white grape juice to help sweeten.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Definite baby steps here. I tried whole wheat pasta, but nobody liked it. I add flax (partially ground) to almost anything I cook. It is amazing how well it hides! I am cooking more beans and I am trying to add more veg to our meals. I am not good at this either. It is so expensive for one, and for years I have always served meat and potatoes as dh has a very strenuous job. I need to start thinking about the rest of us instead. Help is greatly appreciated here too!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Charlotte, I forgot the eating out. We have cut way back on that, but still could do better.

The other thing that I REALLY need to do is get more exercise. I am going to start out by walking 30 minutes every day and then build on that.

Kathy
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cooked have you tried frozen vegetables. They are cheaper then fresh just as healthy. They are flash frozen at peak season and are much better then can vegetables. If you watch the sales you can get them pretty cheap. The grocery store I go to sometimes has there own brand 10 for $10 not bad deal.

Charlotte
Old 07-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow, 10 for $10! I haven't seen any deals like that here! I do use frozen veg, especially in the winter. I do prefer fresh, it just tastes so much better! If I could find them 10 for $10, you bet I would use them!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!