Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

keeping motivated

How do you keep motivated to eat healthy and work out?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:31 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For me it is a daily struggle. I have made some permanent healthy choices like only eating whole grain bread, using low fat mayo, eating lots of yogurt (recently switched to Greek yogurt) and drinking soy milk occasionally. As for other healthy choices, I have to force myself to exercise (got a dog who needs to be walked every day) and still crave sweets like brownies or chocolate chip cookies. My biggest downfall is portion sizes. I can eat healthy all day long but over eat at dinner.

~Mother Theresa

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Nine Year Member

I eat healthy but I know I don't get enough fruit & veggies in my normal diet so I make an effort to eat more of them and limit desserts and candy.

Roberta
Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I'm going to dig out an unforgiving picture of myself from a vacation about a year ago and put it on my fridge. I'm also going to try making some meals ahead of time or at least have a menu plan for a week at a time. Trying on clothes at stores always motivates me. Those dressing room mirrors are very unforgiving and it seems like even the so-called large sizes are getting smaller. I know if I'm craving chocolate that it is usually because I'm lacking something in my diet, probably calcium so I'm going to up my supplements and eat more yogurt.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I too have noticed sizes are getting smaller.

My eating was good tonight. Not earlier in the day but great today. I feel good tonight too. I like mowing the lawn. I am seeing muscles! Gotta keep it up.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers after having met and bettered my goal about five years ago. I have to eat a very high fiber and low fat diet because colon cancer is in my family and drs thought I too had it. He did two biopsys in fact because he was so sure my big mass was cancerous. Second one came back non cancerous too but it was so very close. I am exercising to rebuild all the muscle I've lost. Going to classes with people I enjoy makes showing up easy.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Over the past few months I have lost 35 pounds. I did it through very healthy eating and cutting portion sizes (hugely). I have had no sweets or junk food at all. I also started walking - 2 to 3 miles a day every day I can. It has worked and my stamina has increased tremendously. I need to up my walk/mileage because I can now do hills without even getting winded (I speed walk up hills). Now I am trying to maintain my weightloss but am worried about the cold and snow this winter and the dark coming earlier because it's going to be a lot harder to exercise. I so do not want to gain this weight back! (I lost it due to health reasons. At my last physical my cholesterol and blood pressure were both borderline so I figured I needed to make some changes)

~Mother Theresa

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Great job Sammie!!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yeah Sammi! I too have lost about 50 pounds since last November. Since I had my heart bypass surgery in December I am just that much more serious about my weight loss tactics...I eat regular serving sizes, however sometimes make them a bit smaller (like if it is pasta or such). Also I have found that 3 meals a day is not my thing, I now eat 5-6 small meals a day, but make sure I do each food group. I was diagnosed as being diabetic when pregnant with my son who is now 18, and since my slow but steady loss of weight have not had any blood sugar problems since last December. It is normal day by day. I am going to see if Dr. will lower my meds for it or be able to take me off of metformin altogether at my next cardiologist visit in January. I walk daily, and on colder days go on my treadmill.

Unknown
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Diana, wow, that is awesome! Hope the doctor lets you stop taking your meds. I find eating several smaller meals a day works too. Some days I do that, other days I just eat 3 meals but am very careful with portion size. The thing I struggle with is exercise - hard to walk 3 miles in the rain or dark/cold but I do it anyway most of the time.

~Mother Theresa