Trying to stop smoking

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm trying to stop smoking, but it is very hard. I've tried several stop smoking programs with no luck. I really need to do this for my health. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • I have heard that cinnamon mouth wash works. Every time you think about smoking go brush you teeth and wash mouth out. I hope this helps. Also if you are a bible reader read it every time you want one.
    Good Luck
  • All I know is that you should keep trying. I've read that the average smoker quits successfully after trying many times. I don't remember the number but I'll say it was between 8 and 16 times. So just think....every time you try and fail, you are just that much closer to sucess! Just don't give up!
  • I'm,not a smoker but my kids are. When John was in the hospital, his heart dr that he had during this time, told my daughter something I had never heard before.. and it made sense.
    To stop smoking you do these things
    1. never tell anyone you are, for the pressure will start you back to smoke again
    2. if anyone does ask you about you not smoking just say yea or something along that line but don't go into details, for if you do you have told someone that you quit and once you do the pressure is back on you to not smoke which only leads to smoke again
    3. After 2 wks of not smoking wherever your fav spot is to smoke, change it.
    if it in a car, retail the car, if it is in a special chair, change the location, color
    paint it or recover it.. throw a sheet over it, but change it
    4 while you are trying to stop the smoking keep a package of cigeretts in your purse or pocket at all time. The reason is because you are making the choice of smoking or not to smoke. If you do you only can blame yourself and you can re-start.. you have that choice to tell yourself.. I have these cigeretts here I can smoke at any time for they are right here... but I also have the choice to say no.
    what you are doing at this moment is you are making a choice, no one is making you to stop and no one is telling you to smoke, you are in control of yourself.. no one likes to be n control and if you quitting because of ???? reasons, you won't quit.. but if you makign the choice and they are right there, you be so proud of yourself for turning them down...
    5.. Keep those cigeretts around for a yr even if you have quit.. for again it a choice you making and no one else is.

the dr said when peer pressure and someone is controlling you not to smoke you will always go back to smoking. but if you under no pressure and it your decision it works better and more easier to come off.

Like I said I'm not a smoker and I don't know but it did make sense..
    I know John's son is going to try it but not sure if he has or not.

For my son to quit was watchign his daddy and how they were short change on having him around longer.. Plus John asked them to quit smoking before he died...
    also My son wants to be around for his little one.
    Also he set a motivation goal in mind and he cannot achieve it until he can quit the smoking.

whatever you do, I do wish you the best to come off of them.

your lungs can get better in time, nothing like they could been without ever smoking but they can be better. John's last visit to the lung dr his lungs sounded better than ever before...we were so proud...
  • Minny---I am also a smoker. I quit years ago for over six years and went back to it. This time seems so much harder. DH quit last April. It is so hard to do. Hugs to you.
  • I know years ago when DH quit smoking for 2 yrs there was a behavior modification brochure the doctor gave him before hand to read.

In the weeks before quitting you were to not smoke ... say in the car or another favorite place to smoke. Don't smoke right after waking up wait say 30 min. Don't smoke right after a meal wiat say 30 min and you keep making the time longer. You were to keep the smokes in another room so you had to get up and go get ONE leaving the pack in the other room.

Roberta
  • Good Luck Minny...my son quit 3 years ago...and never started again...he quit Cold Turkey though...

Smiles & Hugs...
  • Well done for taking the steps to stopping.

If you find it really hard to just give up, maybe cutting down before going without can help more.

I aren't a smoker so I don't know if it would work.
    Here for support for you
  • Thanks everyone for your suggestions & support. Sadly, I haven't stopped yet. I am trying to do like madmum said... cut down first. I have been allowing myself a half a cigarette in an hour's time, but sometimes I forget & smoke the whole thing. I've tried chewing on celery & carrots, but that's not helping much. I'll keep trying though.. I need to do this for myself.
    Thanks again everyone for your support.
  • Monday we talked about this is class. Energy work is supposed to help.