FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Health & Fitness (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-fitness/)
-   -   pilates machine (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-fitness/24737-pilates-machine.html)

bluebird 01-23-2009 02:29 PM

pilates machine

I bought one at goodwill for $15! I really like it. Does anyone know anything about them? I know the basics. I am using the vhs tape that came with the machine.

apricot 01-23-2009 10:23 PM

I've used the flex bands and the weighted balls but have never seen a pilates machine. What does it look like?

bluebird 01-24-2009 06:49 AM

I have learned it is called a reformer. Here is a picture of one just like the one I bought. Same brand, same model. I think the Total Gym is a copycat maybe? I didn't work out today because I am sore. Maybe tonight if not tomorrow morning! I like the way I feel after I work out with this machine. I need to find out if using this machine is enough workout OR if I still need to walk on the treadmill. I don't think this machine is for cardio.

apricot 01-24-2009 09:29 AM

Thanks for the link Bluebird. That is interesting and great that it folds up. It sounds like you got yours for a great bargain price and are getting lots of use out of it. I know pilates are made to especially work on the "core" of the body. I have a DVD that came with a 5-pound ball, which is one of my favorites. On it the trainer says to do the exercises every other day. I was doing that and alternating with my flex bands until the DVD for the flex bands got ruined when something accidentally got spilled on it.

bluebird 01-24-2009 01:34 PM

I am feeling the core muscles today!! I am not as sore as I was when I started lifting weights. I really overdid it then. I couldn't move. Younger and dumber? All I know is I had a awesome bod when I was lifting weights.

apricot 01-24-2009 02:18 PM

Keep up the good work and take a day or two break when you feel too sore.

I used to be an all or nothing person when it came to exercise, overdo it, get discouraged and give up. Now I tell myself that even a little is better than none and it has paid off. Last weekend I had to dress up for an event and when I tried on a skirt that I rarely wear was surprized that it was actually a little loose around the waist.

bluebird 01-24-2009 04:54 PM

I dropped ten pound very quickly in late Nov but the stress of Dec put them back on.

Congrats on having a skirt fit better! I wore a blouse I made a year ago, the other day. It is too big.

apricot 01-24-2009 05:53 PM

Thanks Bluebird. Congratulations on what you have lost since you made the blouse.

bluebird 01-24-2009 07:09 PM

Thanks. Now to keep it up. I have another 35 pounds to go. I am trying to figure out how I packed on the weight so I don't do it again.

bluebird 01-27-2009 02:10 PM

So far I am up and using the machine every morning. I really really like it. Such a gentle workout. Somedays I would like to do it again in the afternoon!