Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

View Poll Results: Do you have a special routine that you use to maintain a healthy lifestyle?
Yes, I have a daily routine that works well for me 14 45.16%
No, I don't have time for a routine 5 16.13%
I'm currently looking for new ideas 10 32.26%
I've tried many different things but haven't found any that works 3 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Do you have a special routine that you use to maintain a healthy lifestyle?

Do you have a special routine that you use to maintain a healthy lifestyle?
In today's busy world there are so many different diet & exercise plans and beauty "secrets" out there, it's hard to know where to start!

Do you have a routine that you use? What have you tried before that didn't work?

Take part in our poll (it's multiple choice!) and then let us know what works for you & what didn't work.

AUG. 25th is Healthy Lifestyle Day! Check out the FC Calendar on this day for more great tips!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Assistant Moderator

If I get out of bed and exercise before 9am I'm likely to have a healthier food day and the preparation for the other meals with family. The more the day goes and I've not exercised the less likely it will happen.
Usually I'm up and at curves between 5.30 and 6am, home breakfast, get lunches for all, have a shower, moisturise the body and get dressed.
Depends on how the rest of the day is planned as to what happens.
I have to have a diary for what happens during the month and I have a weekly calendar for the family to look at on the fridge so that I can see who is doing what and who has to be where and I can get them to their places on time. (dentist, guitar, friends, sport etc)
90% of the time I'm home when the boys are home. Slightly different now that ds1 is working and driving himself to his own things.

The more I try to diet the less likely it is to work so don't diet as such I just try to control my snacks between meals that is when I'm most likely to nibble the bad stuff.

Beauty secrets? Drinks lots of water, use sunscreen and moisturise. LOL
Always look on the bright side of life, be happy. Holding onto bad stuff is non productive.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bilby, those are wonderful tips and wonderful words. Thank you!

I got up at 5:30 am today and walked with my dd1. I have to say, it did make me more awake and energized. Did it keep me on the straight and narrow where food was concerned? Mmmm, we have chocolate here at work and I've been a chocolate fiend today!

But, going to walk in the am, and remember Bilby's good advice!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa,Billy does have some good advice that she is giving out.
Billy,wow you sound like you have a pretty well rounded routine and you are pretty organized too.
My routine is to get up and try to get my shower in get the kids off to school ect.As for excersing it depends on what I am doing ect.I have been watching the portion sizes and the snacks too,.Plus drinking alot of water too,.
Mish
Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Nine Year Member

Now that school is back and dd1 leaves at 7 to catch the bus I'm planning on going to Curves then as dd2 is still asleep. This will work as long as DH is still out of work or if He doesn't have to leave the house before 8 AM. Otherwise I'd have to wait until after school when dd1 is home to watch dd2 who will be going to PM kindergarden. My Curves opens at 6:30-1:00 3:30-7:00 so not friendly for working out early afternoon.

I'm working on increasing my protein and low carb veggies and limiting the high carb foods from my diet.

Roberta
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member

Get up at 6o am every morning. Dh always put the coffee on before going for his walk at 6:00. Always eat a good breakfast whole wheat waffles in the morning. I like to read the paper after breakfast than start cleaning. Eat a small snack with Dh about ten to keep us charged till lunchtime. Since he is a diabetic too it is important to have small meals during the day. Make sure we eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. Do make a large pot of bean soup with vegetables to eat every day for lunch as first course. Beans help keep your blood sugar controled. Drinking plenty of water is important too especially in the hot weather.
Dh does all the shopping while I clean and get things ready for the day. He has his free time to look around and I have time to do my own things.
The afternoons are spent together doing things outdoors around the yard or visiting with friends. Gardening is a great way to get exercise and see results around your home.
I usually plan the meals and cook meals I know he will enjoy and are healthy for both of us.
I will not say I am organized but do get done the things that have to be done at my own pace.
______
Sueanne

Old 08-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Happy face

I don't do much in the way of exercising.. I ride my bike when it's not too hot or raining. I can't walk alot because of the pain in my leg, but I do try to walk around the block occasionaly. I try to eat healthy meals.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:09 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

As for routine, I'm up every morning at 5:30, first thing I do is pour a cup of coffee and make DHs lunch. Sit down (now) and drink coffee and read emails, post with you ladies

The rest of the day is spent working on the computer and doing household chores. It depends on the errands that need doing etc. Routine is pretty much set for morning and night (finish cleaning up around 4, get dinner started, eat, load dishwasher, watch TV, computer, bed, LOL) but in between has been known to change quite a bit, ESPECIALLY with summer vacation. The kids go back to school in a week so things will get back to normal.

As for exercising... sigh. Not good. I started walking my dog with a neighbor, but we are both just as bad as the other. When school starts it should be easier to make it routine by walking to the bus stop which is right by her house.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I like Minny can not do that much walking but do walk Steven down in morning (when school is in) to bus stop and walk down on nites that Judy goes to ARC functions and also at little after 10 to pick her up unless Chelsea drives down to do so.
I hang out clothes when I can as prefer them hung to using dryer cheaper and smells better.
I walk out in the yard as much as I can bending picking up stuff out of mowers way so that helps me with exercise too.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I walk every "other day". My doggies love to walk and we walk in the morning when it is cool. We usually wait till daybreak, for I do not want to run into a bear. lol
For some odd reason, I think I need to climb a tree when I see them, and you all know, bears are expert climbers.lol

I also follow a veggie/fruit diet, and eat chicken & salmon, eggs occassionally.

I too, like Sueanne, begin my meals with soup. Bean soup is an excellent choice and a cup is plenty.

For snaking, I like fresh fruits and veggies.

On Sundays, I eat a small scoop of sorbet.
If I feel I want to treat myself.

All of this might sound ridget, but it works for me.

I recently added Tart Cherry Concentrate to my diet..2Tablespoons a day, mixed in water.I buy it at a health food store. This helps with arthritis, inflammation, etc. I like it.

I got a great tip...trying to break the chocolate habit...I had to eat 2 ozs. of dark chocolate everyday for a yr to help bring up my iron levels. Chocolate is not in my life now!

Janet

PS. Even if you do all the right things, that does not prevent diseases. I will be having total knee replacement surgery on Sept 8. then in 6months, I will have the other done.