FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Health & Fitness (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-fitness/)
-   -   Water & other fluids (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/health-fitness/23018-water-other-fluids.html)

Amanda 06-28-2008 09:55 AM

Water & other fluids

I'm not a pop drinker, which is good. I like juice and flavored water, and during the summer I love iced tea. I make mine from Lipton Cold Tea bags and sugar. Recently I've been adding a splash of cranberry juice (thanks for the tip Barb!) and it's wonderful.

However, it just occurred to me that I may be doing more harm than good. Isn't tea a diueretic (sp)?

TraceyMallett 06-28-2008 06:20 PM

Yes, tea should not be used to replace water as it will dehydrate you. The best is slicing up some lemons or strawberries and place them in a jug of water with some ice. It's so refreshing and sweet from the natural sugar in fruit instead of adding sugar. I love black tea as I'm English, so I'm not saying don't drink tea just drink more water if you do.

Amanda 06-28-2008 06:52 PM

Thank you Tracey, that's a bummer though. :( What about decaf tea? Would that be ok?

barbszy 06-29-2008 06:01 AM

I had the same question about decaf tea.

I'm actually using the tea to replace Pepsi. I figure I have to at least be moving in the right direction there :)

Mish 07-04-2008 06:08 AM

I would think any type of decaf drinks would be ok.
Mish :)
But I could be wrong too

Bilby 07-04-2008 02:58 PM

I would think the sugar content in the pre packaged drinks would be high, but if you make your own and is sugar free or with splenda it would be a bit better for you?

Not sure about decaf I've heard that how they take the caffeine out is worse for you than the caffeine itself, anyone know if this is true?

bluebird 07-04-2008 04:06 PM

I have heard that decaf coffee and tea is okay to count toward your water.

I personly try to stay away from all fake sugars. I do use stevia, it is a herb.

TraceyMallett 07-04-2008 11:42 PM

Stevia is good but not when you're pregnant.

Decaf drinks still do contain a tiny bit of caffeine as I believe it's impossible to get all the caffeine out.

Everything in moderation is good but I promise you if you quit cold turkey and gradually introduce a little then you will find you will not crave sugar as much.

Any questions on your exercise routines?

I like to think practice makes perfect but really it's practice makes progress. Small steps go a long way to a healthier lifestyle.

Lisa Berry 07-05-2008 07:42 AM

Interesting fact about tea: :diary1: I give blood regularly (actually pherisis) and was having trouble with my hemaglobin counts being too low. I had been drinking sweet tea instead of coke for awhile. A paramedic friend told me she stops drinking sweet tea a few days before each blood session so I tried it. It worked , my counts went back up. Can't remember details for sure but tea being a dieruetic was 1 of the reasons involved.:blowkisss Still LOVE my tea (and coke) but I try to switch to water as much as possible now.:byebye:

Mish 07-05-2008 07:52 AM

I can't not give up the caffine.I have cut back on that.It seems like everything that we eat has some amounts of sugar in it too.I am trying to excercise as much as I can.How many times a week are we sussope to lift weights??
Mish :)