Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:26 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Starting a fitness routine

Hi Tracey

I have never been someone who likes exercise. I was always thin as a child and never exercised, I didn't even participate in sports. I used to eat whatever I wanted and always stayed thin.

All that changed when I was pregnant with my first child. Life changed for me after having children as I went from the corporate world to work at home mom world.

Because I have never been a fitness oriented person I find it very difficult, in fact it's a downright chore, to exercise. I don't enjoy it To top all that off, I have plantar fasciitis and a bum knee.

However, I am about 75 pounds overweight and i hate it. I wouldn't mind being a size 14 if I didn't have the big tummy.

Should I just focus on doing crunches, or maybe weight training, or should I just start walking and try to stick with it?

I feel so in a rut any suggestions?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm interested in this topic too. I have gained in the tummy area, especially after my youngest child was born. (I'm hoping that giving up soda will help) I am TERRIBLE about exercising and actually cannot even DO a crunch I just don't have the abdominal & back strength to do them.

I have to buy clothes a size bigger everywhere else to acommodate my belly. The "baby" is over 6 now so I have no excuse.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Nine Year Member

Lately the most exercise I got was posting using an icon . I have resolved to be more active, other than the usual housechores.

I'm a Pearshape- oh yes I don't like it, and would like some times to tone it up.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am currently in the process of trying to lose about 50 pounds. A 60-pound weight loss would put me at my ideal weight, but I don't think that's going to happen. DH and I started to do Weight Watchers back in March and I did lose about 12-13 pounds.

I really hate to exercise, too, but DH does drag me along to the gym with him about twice a week. I like the weight machines, but find all of the aerobic machines BORING!

I have stopped drinking soda, too, Barb. Even though I only drank diet, I have read that it actually makes people gain weight - something about blood sugar. I have increased the amount of fruits, veggies and whole grains that I eat and decreased meat (which I don't really like anyway!), fats and carbs. I think all of these things will be successful in the long run. It's just going to take some time.

Kathy
Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

listening intently...... my baby is 13 almost 14 and I weigh more than I ever did pregnant! EEK!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi laddies,

Yes, this is a common topic especially after having children it's almost as if our tummy takes on a life of it's own. WE can reverse this with a little hard work and will power. However, the answer unfortunately is not in spot reduction by just doing crunches or abdominal work it's a combination of total body strength training and simply moving the body. Your body will not just burn fat in the one area that you're working on it will come off in all the areas that you don't care about first. Yes, it's very frustrating!!!! I always lose it off my chest first which is definietly not good for me So no need to waste your time doing a million crunches a day. What you need to do is start building lean muscles mass this is the key to changing your body in to a fat burning machine. Now this doesn't mean going to the gym everyday and lifting heavy weights on some fancy equipment. You can easily do it at home around yours and your family's schedule. As we get older we lose valuable muscle mass and replace it with fat which slows our metabolism down. Buy a set of weights and a good exercise DVD and you're set. You can make a lot of gains in small amounts of time so don't under estimate 10 minutes here and there....consistancy is the key! Pedometers are also a great weight loss tool as it forces you to be more active. Aim for 10,000 steps a day!
Amanda's best solution would be to do strength training as any kind of cardio will hurt your feet. Buy a tennis ball and place your foot on top of the ball and move your foot back and forth to self massage your foot....this will help! I know it's hard to get in to exercise when you see it as a chore but if you look at it as a way to make you feel better and improve your confidence I think you may learn to like it. When you start seeing results it will start to become a GOOD habbit, just like brushing your teeth in the morning.
I plan my workouts in to my weekly schedule so I know I can do it....otherwsie it doesn't happen. So what are you waiting for go to the store and get some weights and I'll be here for you!

Last edited by TraceyMallett; 06-18-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

As for soda, I bought some at the health food store. After I got home and read the label better, it wasn't much better than plain Shasta.

I have bought Stevia flavors to mix with fizzy water. I don't mind using stevia but I don't like the other fake sugars.

I need to learn to manage my time. In other words make time for me to workout.

Don't forgot to drink your water.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Drink Hint is a really good flavored water.

Fake sugars are not recommended so that's good you're staying clear of them. Try to aim for 8 glasses of water a day and you will notice a difference in your skin and energy levels.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:19 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMallett
Drink Hint is a really good flavored water.

Fake sugars are not recommended so that's good you're staying clear of them. Try to aim for 8 glasses of water a day and you will notice a difference in your skin and energy levels.
Would Crystal Light fall into this category? I like the Crystal Light individual packs that you pour into bottled water and have several pre-made in the fridge. Am I sabotaging myself?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-19-2008, 04:24 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMallett
So no need to waste your time doing a million crunches a day. What you need to do is start building lean muscles mass this is the key to changing your body in to a fat burning machine.

Buy a set of weights and a good exercise DVD and you're set.

Pedometers are also a great weight loss tool as it forces you to be more active. Aim for 10,000 steps a day!

So what are you waiting for go to the store and get some weights and I'll be here for you!
Thank you Tracey! I'm glad you told me about the crunches, believe me I would have tried that and been really frustrated.

As for buying weights, is there something I can use from around the house instead of buying weights? It's just not in the budget right now. Can I make my own out of something? I've heard of using soup cans, but I don't think they are heavy enough. Maybe I could fill Pringles cans with sand or something?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda