Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dh and I have been going on walks at least once a day. Tonight we didn't go, the bugs are out for blood. lol
Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Today is the day to clean out your cupboards. There should be no hidden junk food stash for when you're dying of hunger at 9 at night. Chances are if it’s in the kitchen, you will eat it. So if it's not lurking in the cupboards it will force you to snack on something healthy.

You may think it's impossible, maybe because you have kids, but they shouldn’t be eating it either. I have two children and I feed them nuts, string cheese, pretzels and fruit. I just don't buy junk anymore because I know if I do break down and buy it, they will expect it every week. Believe me, after a while of eating clean, you will stop craving junk and even the thought of it will make you feel, “yuck.” Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate but I eat it in moderation and I'm fine. The key is moderation and not eating it every day!

Here are some basic must have foods for your refrigerator and pantry:

100 %whole wheat bread
Bran cereal
Oatmeal
Flax seeds
Apples
Berries
Low-fat organic milk
Lean organic chicken
Wild salmon
Turkey deli meat (cut fresh in the deli)
Tofu
Low-fat cottage cheese
Low-fat string cheese
Veggies – lots of them
Low-fat yogurt
Olive oil

These foods should be a foundation to which you can work from for a clean living kitchen.

What are you waiting for? Toss it!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I caved a while back and bought dounuts and junk at the outlet store. The kids and I will not eat them. They taste terrible! Tastes like pure lard.

I have started keeping frozen chicken tenderloins on hand. My 13 y o son loves to saute them in evoo. We have the chicken on top of a salad. When the kids make a meal, the salad is served on a dinner plate. The smaller plate or bowl is for the food.

I am so disapointed with yogurt. I find if it is low fat, it is high in sugar. I love greek yogurt and have been making my own.

We also like the JeanieO turkey ham. I try to keep it on hand at all times.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

didn't know this was here

I was browsing around in the FC forums, and found this site. This is interesting, and I'm glad I "stumbled" upon this. I have tried exercising different times, and the forms of exercising that I really enjoy is walking and bicycle riding, even though I no longer have my bike (my landlady took our bikes as payments for some back rent that we owed, even though it wasn't that much)...anyways, I hope to get a bike again someday (maybe next year's birthday present?).."hint, hint to my family" ...lol. I have also tried exercise videos. I have all the taebo tapes. I also like swimming as an exercise, even though I can't swim. I guess I just used to enjoy being in the water, and could see how it would be good exercise.

I drink water like it's going out of style, so I think I get my quota of water a day, and then some. I need to work on my diet though...(brownies are my weakness). But I am picking up some great tips here, just reading everything in this site. I heard on tv the other day, if you keep a food diary, (write down even the brownies...lol), that it will help you to eat better, and to lose the weight you want to lose.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, writing down what you eat is the first step to figure out exactly where you need to cut back. I suggest doing a food journal and writing down exactly what your eating and when you're eating it.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and should never be skipped. Also, try eating smaller portions every three hours. Just by cutting your portions in half you will lose weight quickly.
Portions in the USA have doubled in the past twenty years !
Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think learning to know the difference between being hungry, thirsty and bored helps too.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Bluebird, What is evoo?

This week I dug out a yoga video that I was given awhile back and tried it. Its getting too hot here to do any jumping around or sweaty type exercises.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Extra virgin olive oil

I am doing the yard and garden work. Haven't found time to do real workouts.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Bluebird, Thanks for explaining what evoo is. At first I thought it was some fancy new sauce, lol.

On the days I do yard work I don't do other exercises since one time I did and ended up hurting my back from overuse. Now I just count the yard work as my exercise for that day.

Does anybody know of some simple exercises that can be done while sitting in my chair at work?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Glad I found y'all..this is just what I have been needing and thinking about. I had foot surgery nearly 12 weeks ago, and was in pain (arthritus in foot joints) prior to surgery, so alot of lower body walking etc was too painful. I am up and walking with a bit of a limp by days end and with no flexion in big toe. However I want/need to get back into a rountine of exercise as well as watching what I eat..(these hot days make me drink more water and eat less anyway) so I am reading and listening to waht is said here. Glad for the tips and the motivation to get going!

Hsma