Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Assistant Moderator

I eat when stressed or bored. I don't know when this started but it needs to stop.

I haven't worked out this week. I am tired from running to all the doctor appts for dd. So what?! I need to get up off my rear and work out anyway!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The Worker's Comp. doctor finally released me to full duty, so now I can also stretch and exercise. I did a couple of 10 minute flex band exercises two days this week. Yesterday I was so mad at some people at work that when I got home I ate several handfuls of M&M's that were part of someone's Christmas gift to dh.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I quit smokin a few months ago and have really had the munchies! Ive been down with the stomach flu and colds so lost some of it there but gainin it back steadly. I know I should work out that would help alot just cant seem to get motivated does and one use excersise videosand /or know of any good ones?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Kathy, sweets were not a problem for me..I just fixed my guys things I do not eat..like pies, cakes, brownies...I did hear the candy canes calling me to eat them...but I held it down to 2.

I did like the French dinner rolls, dressing with turkey, and mashed potatoes...so that was my downfall...starches.

I got right back on my regular diet..and feel good again..and so glad the holidays are over. ha ha
I eat chicken or fish, sparingly..and eat alot of veggies, and I eat fruit when I am craving something sweet.

Right now I have alot of muscle & joint pain, so I am doing stretching now..till my body quiets down...and I think all the dampness is a big "pain" thing for me...I do so much better when the humidity is lower.

Hugs, Janet
Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For me I find I don't workout when I am not at the ymca so that means I am not working out as much.I am aslo an eater when I am bored but I do try to stay as busy as possible though.
Mish
Old 01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Assistant Moderator

Yep does not have to be sweet for me just something high in carbs, always been my problem.
If we are out for the day, doesn't worry me not eating I guess it's cause I refuse to pay for lunch that I know is at home and paid for.
I am a good water drinker though and if I can make it passed that 2pm slot (should fill up on water) I should be right?
Hay I can dream LOL

Old 02-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

OK, as per this morning's weigh in I'm at 223, blah. I'll try to post more regularly not only food intake but exercising as well.

Hugs all!
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for posting this link Lisa.

Lisa, I weigh a lot more than you. I am obese. I don't say that as a put down just as the truth about myself. My health is really suffering due to my weight problems. High blood pressure, damage to my heart and I am on a lot of medicines now. I try and try to eat better only to break over and eat sweets or too much of regular food. I do good for a while and then its like I give up. So here I am trying again. I have to try because I believe my life depends on it. Its hard to lose weight because I am at home most of the time and I cook a lot for my family. I know this is just an excuse. I have been eating a lot of oatmeal, salads and vegetables but the sweets are still a problem. I need to lose more but I would be very happy to lose 83 pounds. I need any ideals and encouragement I can get. I will check in later and I hope if any of you have a weight problem you will post and lets try to help each other in this.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jean, my mom was very overweight, about 100 lbs more than I am now when she was my age. Her health was failing because of it, developed what the heart issues, diabetes, high bp. She was home all day, she cooked excellent meals for us, and as she says, snacked in between the big meals as well. She ended up having heart surgery before she finally decided to do something about it. You can do this! One thing she did was set small goals, 5 lbs one week, 5 lbs another. She can't go walking because she has bad vericose (sp?) veins. But she is down to 170 now and I think she looks amazing. But, again, she still has a lot of health stuff going on. Take it slow. Another thing mom did was she cut out making the sweet goodies, she used more sugar free and we never knew the difference. I was married at the time, was only 26 when this was going on but I was over there a lot, and the weight started to come off.

You may be like me, I get excited, yes, I'm losing...I can have a little of this....then a little of that....and before you know it all I've lost creeps back on. Then I get down on myself and eat more!

Baby steps, just baby steps. There are sugar free recipes out there for sweets, you and your family will never know the difference. Use more chicken? Or if you can get by with meatless meals? I tried to follow low carb, didn't work for me, but the woman who used to babysit for me dropped 100 lbs doing the south beach low/no carb thing. I didn't recognize her.

Weight is not easy to lose and the older we get the harder it is. Walk around the house a few times a day, weather permitting of course. Or when you're home alone, stand in front of the tv and march in place, who's gonna see you? I'm doing all of that and although my weight is still up there, my clothes are fitting better, muscle weighs more than fat so if you don't see the scale move, don't get discouraged, if your clothes fit some better, that's what counts! I hate the scale, even if it said 145 lbs, it doesn't give you the whole picture.

I know you can do this, you just have to believe you can too!

Hugs to you honey,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa, that is awesome about your mom. How long did it take her to lose so much weight? I would think I was a skinny girl if I ever saw 170 again. It really feels like an unreachable dream but I do know if I really tried with the help of the Lord it is possible. I am encouraged by you sharing your story about your mom. Thank you so much for posting about your moms story.

A few years ago I lost around 60 or more pounds but I gained it back. I believe for me its an addiction. Some don't believe that way but thats just my personal belief. I have no problems with other addictions like drugs, alcohol or cigarrettes but food is something we have to deal with. We can't just never eat again. I got on the scale Monday and was really up in weight. I am hoping a few of the pounds was water weight. I will try to weigh myself next Monday and see if the scale has moved any. Good news for today is I got on the treadmill and walked 16 minutes and 23 seconds. For me, thats a long time so I am happy with it.

Did any of you all watch Biggest Loser last night? I love that show but I don't think its very realistic in the real world to lose so much that fast. I love to see the before and after pictures. I was uncomfortable on the treadmill a while ago and I thought about how these people on Biggest Loser push themselves so hard. I can't imagine being able to do what they do.

One thing I heard a doctor on tv say the other day was about how our bodies are always making new cells and how that if we started eating the good foods which he called live foods and stopped the bad foods in a years time we could be so much healthier. He talked like we could really become healthy. For me now its about health more than anything.

I hope this thread can get to thriving again. Lisa, I know you have been walking a lot and trying and I believe you are on the right path. Thats great that your clothes are feeling better. A great indication you are doing good.