Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

View Poll Results: Are you starting a new diet and exercise regime for the new year?
Yes I am! 9 45.00%
Nope, not at all! 8 40.00%
other thoughts.....(do tell us!) 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

14 inches

Oh did any of you see the show on Dicovery health with 2 english doctors. They came to New York to help 4 people get healther in 30 days. They say women waist should be 32 and a mans 35. By thier measure I need to loose 14 inches around my waist. They said to watch the top 5 ingt. in the things we eat If the following are taking most of that area don't buy it. They were enriched flours, hydrogenated oil and margines, sugars like corn syurp, msg, its surpicing how much of our manufactor foods use all the persertives and such. They say the food in Europe are not manufator using as much of these things. So I'm going to take thiere suggestions and give it a try. it can't hurt what do I have to loose.
Tree
Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have heard that Europe doesn't use the junk in foods that we do. It is hard to get away from enriched white flour. I won't buy anything with corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. I managed to change that last year.

We can do this!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bluebird what did that leave we could eat? I sub. whole wheat fours in my recipesfor pancakes and such or at least cutting it in half. with the white. They also said peanut oil was good for you. Have you heard that?

Tree
Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Assistant Moderator

Yes, peanut oil is good for you. We don't use any nut or seed or byproduct due to dd allergies.

I don't buy mixes so that takes care of trans fats. Eat lots of veggies and fruit. Fish and chicken. Ground turkey is great IF you can buy it without the skin ground in it.

I have a hard time coming up with snack ideas.

I also put old fashioned oats into everything I can. I make my pizza crust in the food processor. I throw oatmeal in first and grind that up. Then add the flour. The pizza crust is so chewy. Brown rice makes a yummy side dish. I did buy some Far East mixes. We liked them but they are pricey. We need to cut down on potatoes.

Did that help any? I really get stuck on snacks.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes thanks. I once made a pizza crust out of oatbran.I reminber we liked it going have to dig that recipe out of hiding. We already eat brown rice and sometimes red rice. We have a bulk store I just need to learn to use more of the stuff we sale. I need to check to see what flours we care are enriched and not. We have oat flour too. We also carry the raw sugar and juice cane sugar I'm thanking of tring it with my family.
tree
Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

No to the diet and exercise. Instead I watch the amount of Carbohydrates in the products I buy, drink plenty of fluids (water, tea, coffee, cocoa) which are either sweetened with Splenda or no sugar added, and try to exercise when I can (was much easier when I was working in a two story private childcare center)... I lost 10 pounds in 3 months, and 2 inches! Of course I think I gained the 2" back after the "food" gifts we recieved for Christmas, and the bulging disc in my lower left back section (hence the lack of a daily 30 minute exercise workout).
Besides I didn't want to set myself up for failure, so about three (3) years ago, I stopped with the New Year's Resalutions. Overall health is way to important for me, then well meant resolutions that can lead to mental/pysical stress.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I wanted to give an update to my earlier post (5 Jan 2008). Since that post I have really cut back on my carb intake. Many of the "frozen" foods I buy have 30 carbs or less with less sugar. I am drinking more fruit juices and decaf beverages when ever possible. I am reading the labels more too, and my ferry walking, yes you read that right, my ferry walking is up from 0 walks around the ferry deck(s) to 2 laps 1 - 3 times a day and 2 -3 times a week. Sometimes I walk the car deck for the in/declines (mini hills) leg muscle stretching. I am also changing my GP (health insurence approved), in hopes for a doctor who will really "listen" to my physical concerns. Especially since I would like to join their Yoga class and do some back strengthing exercises at home - eventualy making it easier to ride my bicycle longer regardless of in/declines, and to be able to walk around my own block.
Yes blubird, water is the most essential fluid / beverage we all can drink more of.
I believe I read once that our bodies are made up of approximately 90% (+/-) water.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Nine Year Member

Now that the weather is getting warmer will be working outdoors more and walking.

Started making my own oat flour by grinding steel oats which is more nutritional since everything is still in it. Tastes good in waffles and breads.

Trying to grill my meats & veggies on the open grill to use less calories. The food tastes great and takes less time.
Drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated and flush toxins out of my body.

Even a few pounds lost makes the body work better and You feel better too.
______
Sueanne