Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

stressed

Hi everyone. I've been thinking, recently, about what I can do to simplify my life. Too much stress, holidays were crazy, and now in a new year I've resolved to take things down a notch and learn to relax a little more.

The problem is: how? One thing I've come up with is to toss the old cell phone. The thing rules my life and is more of a leash than a helpful tool. But I've had a phone of one kind or another for about 7 years now, and I'm apprehensive about ditching it.

Has anyone else done without a cell recently? Wondering what it would be like, if it would help me de-stress. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Assistant Moderator

I shut mine off..... a lot. I have a few friends that will call on the landline if my cell is shut off and that is fine. I find shuting off the cell cuts down on my stress.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Jenny, relaxation sometimes takes work. lol I agree with Connie. Turn off the cell phone. Then you have it when you need it. Another thing, don't answer it if you don't feel like it.

The best thing to do for stres is to exercise. It activates the nervous system that sends feel good, relaxation "drugs" to your body, thus reducing stress.

I personally have found that if I do three things, it really, really helps with my stress level since I have a high stress life-style being a full time college student and part-time tutor. One, I do something for myself often. Go out for coffee, watch a movie, whatever your "thing" is, make time for it so you don't go throug burn-out. Second, I organize my life. I put everything I need to do in a datebook or PDA. That way, I don't spend extra time making second trips to the store for things that should have been on my list. I also don't forget to do things. Also, I color code things in folders. Vacation plans will be in one colored folder, menu ideas may be in another, and so on. I keep on a schedule so that I do certain things during certain times of the day. That way I don't forget things. Sometimes I am so busy that I meet myself coming and going. Third, I get plenty of sleep. I make sure I go to bed at a decent time so that I have plenty of time for rest. Not getting enough sleep can make a person not function to his/her potential.

I hope these suggestions help.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cool

I had a friend who was going through hard times financially and so to save thirty bucks a month she cut out her cell phone. She said she was surprised that it wasn't actually that much of a change in her lifestyle, it was only that she got to make phone calls at her own pace, from her landline. I guess this is the de-stressing part. But she was also stressed not to have a cell for emergency situations, should one arise. She ended up with a prepaid calling card account with onesuite.com in case she ever had to make a call from a payphone but didn't have any cash on her. Worth a shot, but I think de-stressing your life is about a lot more than just giving up your phone. It's really about having more time, especially quiet time. We watch TV, supposedly, to relax, but end up engrossed in stories and after more than an hour of it it's a strain on the eyes and a cause for headaches -- try replacing TV time with quiet time, or calm conversation, or a walk outside, or a book you enjoy. Work on establishing, also, regular sleep patterns, and don't let weekends get you out of these patterns. Also, try to plan vacations that you know won't be stressful -- it's funny how people plan their time off during summers and holidays so that they see so many people and do so many things that these times "off" become harder work than the job you're trying to escape!

Jeesh, sorry I've written you a novel here. Hopefully some of the above is helpful.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:09 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have a cell phone but it is usually off. I only use it for emergencies or when I am out to call and check on the kids or to say I am going to be late etc. Other ways to simplfy life is to de-clutter your home. Less clutter means less cleaning and a more soothing environment. (that is something I am working on) As DeBora mentioned, exercise also helps. And taking care of yourself is always a good thing - eating well, exercising, taking time to do something fun once in awhile. Also, learning to say no is also helpful. Only say yes or commit to things you truly want to do or enjoy doing. And if you have children, limit their activities as well.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member

You can use a cell phone that does not have service to make a 911 call just keep it charged up.

I agree with limiting the number of activities you and your family is envolved in. Kids need some down time as well as adults. My preschooler has PT twice a month and goes to Kids for Christ once a week. My 10 yr old has Teens for Christ once a week, Girl Scouts 2-3 times a month, and just joined Young Astronauts which meets 1-2 times a month.

Household clutter is stressful if you haven't needed it in a year do you really need it? Pack it away in a box where you can get to it if needed but after another year not touched maybe you should sell or give it away.

Take care of your health so you can handle stress better.

Roberta
Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Assistant Moderator

I know since I've declutter and trying to be more organize is helping me with stress

also coming to terms that I can't change some things, that it will be that way no matter what, and pray about it more sure does help too.

also taking little power naps helps me too.
it may be only 15-20 min naps to just relax.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
also coming to terms that I can't change some things, that it will be that way no matter what, and pray about it more sure does help too.

Bar_Bar, that is such a good point! Sometimes the thing that causes the most stress is not accepting that some things just cannot be changed.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs up Finally the Truth about Stress and Anxiety Control Explained!

Hi

I strongly believe that this going to help you out....

I have found a great site that sells downloadable "Health & Fitness" audio books by some of the leading Authors in the field. I have recently discovered the benefits of listening to Audio books as I have a 2 hour drive to get to work each day!.

[web address information edited by moderator. Posts such as this can be considered SPAM and repeated postings of this nature will lead to the member being banned from FC. If you have questions, contact barbszy.]

Hope you find the site as useful as I have, if so post back your comments.

"Best Of Luck"

Cheers

Dexter

Last edited by barbszy; 06-21-2007 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

These are good ideas for stress.I am found reading more than before.Aslo i excercise but i can still have myself get all worked up.Right now i just try to relax and not to sweat the same stuff.

Mish