Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The unknown is a great stresser. Try to be aware of as much in your life as possible and accept what you can't change. This gives me a lot of stress but I am learning to accept. I also have a cell phone that is a trac phone and I buy minutes by the month and they roll over. I only have it on when I go on trips or am going to be on these back roads. I have instructed friends and family to only call if VERY important. Realize that no one is responsible for your happiness but you. Relax!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
We basically only have a cell phone because my husband works 3rd shift and I want to be able to reach him immediately if I needed to. Also, if he had car trouble anywhere on the dark back roads that he travels.

One other reason is in case we have cable trouble and our home phone would go out.

I just changed our cell phone plan from $54.00 a month to $30.00 a month.

In no way do I ever see my husband or me being connected to a cell phone all of the time.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think it is great if a person can give up having a cellphone.Maybe one day we can go down to having just one.But for now i have mine on if i need to make a phone call or to use it only for long distance.For me i need to have it especially if i have an emergeny.

Mish
And you are right the unknown does get me stressed out!!

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Assistant Moderator

Mish, I have a cell phone but I use it mostly for emergencies and to check on my dks if I am out. I don't use it to chat, or when I am driving or shopping or any of that. We also use it when we are at our cottage as we do not have a phone there. I am a dc provider and one time I was driving the dc kids somewhere and my car broke down. I did not have a cell phone so the two dc kids and I had to walk in the rain to get help. It was after that I got the phone. Friends who try to call me on my cell phone get angry because it is never on and I have to keep reminding them I don't use it to just chat on. For me the bill is worth the sense of security it gives me but I don't want the stress of being able to be reached all the time. If I am out shopping or at a movie, that is what I want to be doing, not talking on the phone!

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Assistant Moderator

savings can help in not just not having or cutting down on cell phones.
Look around and see what you might can do to cut other bills.
such as lights, when not in use of it then turn it off.
the gds are using to turning on a light when it starts getting dark, for myself I can and will tell them we do not need the light right now, we can see find. Now if they are reading or doing homework then that another thing, but just playing or watching Tv we don't need it, That is a saving on electricty
don't allow the kids to run in and out as that can burn more electricty, for your house cannot get cool due to the in and out a child can do.
set the themotstate back more

food cost, do you really need it or is it something you want... that will help with the grocery bills.

find cheaper drinks for the kids to drink instead of buying that expensive drink they might like.

cutting back on things that cost helps with the stress too.

don't try to copy your neightbor and have what they have, for they could be going thru a stuggle themselves, so lift within your budget and be yourself.

gas prices, try to do as many errands as you can at one time,

I know none of this goes with a cell phone, but it looks as if you putting the stress on cell phones when it could be other things that can cause stress.

Don't saY yes, when you really can't do it for this burns you out as stress you out.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Barbara you are sooooooo right on the kids running in and out leaving doors open or lites on when not needed. I have diff bulbs in my over head lite in LR as they burn longer and cheaper too. I don't use dish washer unless just totally overloaded with dishes like T-Day etc. And try to hangout clothes rather than dryer. I wash at nite as suppose to be cheaper electricity then. Hugs to all
Old 06-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

i do try to run the washer and dryer at nightime.I am always yelling at the kids to turn off the lights ect when not in use.I just yelled at them for coming in and out all day long too.
We do try to live as cheap and simple as we can too.

Mish
Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Assistant Moderator

Mish, I've learned by yelling it makes the kids do it more.
I have my gkids on a ticket program.
the way I do this is
we start out the week with both girls having the same amount of tickets.
at the end of the week we see who has the most tickets and that girl wins a little token, or a priveledge
such as money for the gum ball machine or something along this line.
or a dollor for the store,
or they get to stay up later, or ride in the front seat, or whatever.

then if they can get up to 25 tickets they get a bonus and that could be for both of them.

I take tickets for things such aS leaving lights on, leaving clothes in the bathroom when they shouold of picked up, not following directions, and etc. Think you got the idea.
I also give out tickets, for behaving in the store when we go, minding thier papa while I'm goine to the store or do errands,
doing chores without being told to do them, helping when I don't ask for the help, etc.

it works for us.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Nine Year Member

My stress is mostly different from everyone else here. Most of my stress is from work and actually caused by my boss more than the actual job. I hope I've reached the point that I'm going to talk to her boss because it's making me ill and I can't even enjoy a day off anymore.
I do stress because of money sometimes too, but we'll always have that problem. I don't really mind the gk's running in and out-of course we don't have air conditioning-but then it didn't bother me when we did. My biggest problem with the kids is not leaving the doors open and definitely not leaving the freezer door open.
Other than getting rid of my boss or quitting my job-which I can't afford to do-I wish I could come up with someway to destress.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am doing better with the kids.I do try to let them have special stuff especially with being home and wanting to eat more.The older 2 want to go to another pool on the other side of town,(My oldest only wants to go so she can see her boyfriend there).I am not using the tickets but they have been pretty good about listening to me andf doing what they need to do.All in all it should be ok.My stress comes from worrying from everyday stuff.I am trying to just relax more too.

Mish