Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my son is gaining weight too fast

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I think you are the luckiest mom of all, and it's good to hear that your kid is growing healthy. Beside this my son is don't look very healthy. And he does more like junk foods, and I think he is gaining weight rapidly. I am really concerned about his health. Can you give me some suggestions, that how can I bring him back on fruits and vegetables.[/FONT]
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tunisia, if it were me, I would make sure all the junk food was out of the house. You can slowly add the good food by starting with dried fruits. They are healthy plus they are sweet, like candy. You can get the snacks that are healthy by getting the chips made from veggies. Slowly, add the fresh veggies and fruits. Include dips for the fruits and veggies at first. You can make the dips from low-fat cheeses and things like that. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tunisia, you didn't say how old your child is....

If he is old enough to learn about portions (maybe age 9 or so) then help him learn to measure foods and show him what healthy portions look like. For example, a serving of meat is the size of a deck of playing cards, a cup of rice is the size of a tennis ball.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Assistant Moderator

What makes it hard is that I have to watch what I eat he doesn't, but that does not mean he can't have helath issues in the future.

For me get rid of some of the junk stuff, was don't buy as much, you still have to have a treat in your day or week as the feeling of "giving up everything" makes things worse psychologically, well for me anyway LOL.
Giving up the soft drink/soda and pre packaged, I started making my own cakes and biscuits/cookies, as then you can sub splenda and know exactly what's in your cakes. Watch the portions.
Exercise is a good thing in the morning, it really does get you energised for the day.
There are some great healthy treat recipes on the boards here have a peek around for ideas.
Let us know how old he is.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Assistant Moderator

I am having the same challenge with our 12 y o. He is 5' 3" and wieghs about 95 pounds. We don't have lots of junk food around so that is a easy fix. I am trying to get him to eat more protein. He likes cereal (whole grain) and eats a lot of that. I think maybe more sandwichs instead of cereal for snacks. Of course there is fruit to snack on too.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member

My DS was always tall and thin. He decided to start drinking the weight on powder. Worst thing he could have ever done. It started upseting his metabolism became a diabetic. It probably would have showed up later on but the added calories helped bring it on. Best thing is natural foods with fresh fruit and vegetables.
My Dad always gained weight eating bananas.
I am sure time makes all of us gain weight.
____
Sueanne

Old 06-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Connie, does your son like cheese? It's pretty calorie-dense.

Whole grain cereals are good for him so I wouldn't worry about that. Those are not empty calories.

Other good snacks are mini pizzas made with bagels or French bread, spaghetti sauce and cheese (plus other toppings of their choice).
Old 06-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Assistant Moderator

He eats lots of cheese! I was very very thin as a child. I remember my mother buying super slim jeans. I didn't gain weight until my thyroid acted up when ds2 was a year old. I weighed barely over 100 when we were married. I did put ds2 on some good vitamins. The doctor said make sure he is taking a good probotic too. Then he will get all the nutrition out of the food he is eating.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Assistant Moderator

I have both problems. Ds1 is now about 5'5" (he has definitely had a growth spurt) and still only weighs about 89 pounds. He eats a lot of food over the course of a day but does track so never seems to gain. He eats a lot of healthy food and a small amount of junk food mainly out of preference. He likes fruit and vegetables etc. Apparently some kids at school tease him about being anorexic which bothers him. Then, on the other side, ds2 is too heavy. He is about 5'3" and is getting chubby. He is a bigger kid than his older brother. Unfortunately, he gravitates towards junk food and I have to really encourage eating fruits and vegetables. I try not to buy a lot of junk food but then dh complains we have no snacks. How do you find a balance between having lots of healthy foods available yet still have a few treats. If ds2 finds the treats he will eat more than his share. I try to be careful with how I talk about weight because I do not want to encourage an eating disorder or damage self image but with 2 dks on opposite sides of the spectrum and dd in the middle it is hard to find a balance. And I agree, kathy, you cannot ban all "fun" foods. I think banning them also just makes them more desirable. I am worried about ds2, though, and his bad eating habits. He is only 12 and fights me on eating healthy.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

I think I'm going to have to find a conversion chart, I don't know if under a 100lb is light or heavy we go in kilos LOL.
Michael had that anorexic thing thrown in by kids at school I think that is what started this whole mess of him being worried.
He did go to the docs and had all the blood tests and was told nothing was wrong. We got the protein powder but only do half strength in full cream milk. He still has not put on any weight but he is better in his mind set and that makes all the difference. He has been 50 kilo (grew to 5ft8) for the last 3 years just shot up in height. On the plus side his clothes have fit him for absolutly ages and he has nothing to pass down to his younger brother (12) who is 5ft 3 and only 8 kilo lighter than him, as you say Sammi they can be quite different but I don't have ds2 as more junk food orientated he eats more healthily than ds1, it's just his body make up .... Kids!