Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 03-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lightbulb National Nutrition Month

BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA recognizes NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH

Nation’s Leading Youth Organization Promotes Healthy Lifestyles Through Various Programs and Tips

IRVING, TEXAS (March 7, 2005) — Today in the United States more than 30 percent of children are classified as overweight. As the nation’s leading youth service organization, the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is continuing its Good Turn for America pledge of healthy living during National Nutrition Month by showing youth how to live healthy lifestyles.

BSA offers more than 20 health-, nutrition- and fitness-related merit badges, requiring scouts to stay physically strong by eating healthy nutritious foods incorporated with physical activity. More than 4 million Boy Scouts have achieved the cooking merit badge alone, which incorporates nutrition education into the cooking curriculum. During National Nutrition Month, BSA is providing tips on how to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

“For 95 years, BSA has been dedicated to promoting a healthy lifestyle among American youth,” said Gloria Lundin, Occupational Health Nurse, BSA. “In the past century America has changed and we are now facing a nutrition epidemic that will have implications on our nation’s health for generations to come. The Scout oath includes the promise ‘To keep myself physically strong,’ the BSA remains committed to that principle and is proud to take part in National Nutrition Month. By stressing overall health and general well-being, we believe we can help to encourage youth to lead healthy lifestyles and help reverse obesity trends.”

BSA’s recognition of National Nutrition Month comes on the heels of its announcement of support of U.S. Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona’s 2005 agenda, “The Year of the Healthy Child,” focusing on improving the body, mind, and spirit of the growing child. According to Dr. Carmona, the health needs of children grow into the health problems of adulthood. And, by improving the holistic health of our children, we can ensure a healthier population for the next generation.

In recognition of National Nutrition Month, BSA encourages Americans to live healthy by offering the following healthy eating and lifestyle tips:

• Maximize nutrients: According to the USDA, the majority of adolescents ages 12-19 do not receive the required amounts of a variety of nutrients. A focus of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines includes consumption of food rich in nutrients before eating discretionary or “empty” calories. Eat leafy vegetables, colorful fruits and whole grains that have a variety of nutrients before indulging in sugars and sweets.

• Stay Active: For the first time ever the Dietary Guidelines stress the importance of balancing consumption of nutrient dense foods with maintaining an energy balance. Children are natural explorers and adventurers, parents should encourage children to turn off televisions, computers and video games and enjoy an active lifestyle outdoors. Scouting offers a wide variety of programs like soccer and hiking to keep bodies in motion, resulting in a healthy child.

• Change it Up: Different foods within specific food groups (i.e. carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables and proteins) have various nutrients. Choose a variety of foods from all food groups to ensure a well-balanced diet and to experience a variety of colors, textures and tastes.

• Make it routine: Overweight adolescents have a 70 percent chance of become overweight or obese adults. Parents and adults should start a trend in children’s eating habits. Get into the habit of eating healthy to work toward wellness. In addition to incorporating nutrient rich food into diets, parents should involve their children in the food selection and preparation process.

Serving nearly 4.2 million young people between 7 and 20 years of age with 309 councils throughout the United States and its territories, the Boy Scouts of America is the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. For more information on BSA, please visit www.scouting.org.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member

Nnm 2007

It's March and the madness is not always on the basketball courts! It's National Nutrition Month and the American Dietetic Association is once again providing all kinds of source materials and information in promotion of a healthy lifestyle. http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...0_ENU_HTML.htm

I popped over to the Boy Scouts of America webpages also and they have whole badges and support efforts to a healthy lifestyle, too.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 03-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yes--my son is a Boy Scout and he earned his Personal Fitness merit badge. They studied healthy eating, exercise habits and more. And BONUS--that's how he found out that he has a natural ability for distance running. Other Scouts who are cross-country runners encouraged him to stick with it and go out for the team.

Here's a question to throw out to everyone: what ONE CHANGE can you make during this month to encourage your family to eat healthier?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My son was boardline diebetic in november he was 198 pounds .I put him on a diet .Now we are in to march he now weighs 168 and not boardline any more
Old 03-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Nine Year Member

I could not snack in between meals as much, maybe try to eliminate some of the high fat foods and snack on fruit instead.

Lisa-b, my mom controlled her diabetes for about 10 years that way. I saw in the news where they want to take away a kid from his parents because they refuse to help him lose weight! But he is like 200 lbs overweight. I think it is marvelous that you had success and cooperation! We should all be so diligent. Congratulations to you and your son!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 03-04-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

IT wasn't that easy he has bipolar 1 ,adhd and has sleepapnea . I had to be on his case 247 we argued alot but i didn't give up.I watched what he ate he was on 1500 calories a day because he didn't get out of the house much. I would buy him stuff he would eat but gave him less he had fastfood twice a month .Ithink the parents should help the kids .dibetes has become a serious health problem for our youth.Some kids won,t listen or they don't want to loose weight people can't always blame the parents. I am glad to hear about your mother