Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Mind, Body, Spirit Wellness

Monday, September 6

Body Wellness

Miracle Tea

Tea lovers may be surprised to learn their beverage of choice touts yet another health benefit: blood pressure control.

Drinking a half-cup of green or oolong tea per day reduced a person's risk of high blood pressure by almost 50% in a new study.

People who drank at least two and a half cups per day reduced their risk even more. Their risk was reduced even if they had risk factors for high blood pressure, such as high sodium intake.

Please consult your physician before making dietary changes.

Janet
Old 09-07-2004, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Spirit...Choose Your Words

Today's Story - Choose Your Words

A certain good woman one day said something that hurt her best friend of many years. She regretted it immediately, and would have done anything to have taken the words back. But they were said, impulsively, in a moment of thoughtlessness, and as close as she and her friend were, she didn't consider the effects of her words before hand. What she said hurt the friend so much that this good woman was herself hurt for the pain she caused.

In her effort to undo what she had done, she went to an older, wiser woman in the village. Explaining her situation, and asked for advice. The older woman listened patiently in an effort to determine just how sincere the younger woman was, how far she was willing to go to correct the situation. She explained that sometimes, in order put things back in order, great efforts must be made.

She then asked: "Just what would you be willing to do, to repair the harm done?"

The answer was heartfelt. "Anything"

Listening to her, the older woman, sensed the younger woman's distress, and knew she must help her. She also knew she could never alleviate her pain by living her life for her, but she could teach, if the younger woman would first listen, and then learn. She knew the outcome would depend solely on the character of the younger woman. She said, "There are two things needed to do to make amends. The first of the two is extremely difficult. Tonight, take your best feather pillows, and open a small hole in each one. Then, before the sun rises, you must put a single feather on the doorstep of each house in town.

When you are through, come back to me. If you've done the first thing completely, I'll tell you the second."

The young woman hurried home to prepare for her chore, even though the pillows were very dear to her, very expensive.

All night long she labored alone in the cold. She went from doorstep to doorstep, taking care not to overlook a single house. Her fingers were frozen, the wind was so sharp it caused her eyes to water, but she ran on, through the darkened streets, thankful there was something she could do to put things back the way they once were. Finally, as the sky was getting light, she placed the last feather on the steps of the last house. Just as the sun rose, she returned to the older woman.

She was exhausted, but relieved that her efforts would be rewarded.

"My pillows are empty. I placed a feather on the doorstep of each home." Now, said the wise woman, "Go back and refill your pillows. Then everything will be as it was before."

The young woman was stunned. "You know that's impossible! The wind blew away each feather as fast as I placed them on the doorsteps!! You didn't say I had to get them back!! If this is the second requirement, then things will never be the same."

"That's true", said the older woman. "Never forget. Each of your words is like a feather in the wind. Once spoken, no amount of effort, regardless how heartfelt or sincere, can ever return them to your mouth. Choose your words well, and guard them most of all in the presence of those you love."

Old 09-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Mind Wellness

Inspiration _Expression

Keeping A Creativity Journal
There are many kinds of journals. Some people record their innermost thoughts and feelings daily. Others write a single poem or a few lines of an essay once a week, every few months, or simply "whenever". The wonderful thing about journaling is that there are no rules or restrictions.

To get your creative juices flowing, start a journal to record inspirational thoughts and ideas, or keep track of an artistic project. Choose a blank book, preferably without lines, that appeals to you in color, size, and texture. Or make your own journal, designing a cover with drawings and photographs. Starting is the most important action. In the beginning, you might want to schedule journal time into your day... but even if you don't, you know it is there waiting for you when inspiration strikes.

One of the best ways to encourage creativity is to try new things. Don't let your preconceived notions of what a "journal" should be get in your way. Anything too formal or linear is up for grabs when flying with your creativity: write with your non-dominant hand, or write in a different direction - landscape orientation is a great start, diagonally, or even in a circle. When it comes down to it, you don't even really need to write any words at all: draw, doodle, or paste a collage of images instead. The important thing is not to worry about your artistic skill in creating the journal, but to focus instead on your own _expression. Anything fresh will do to kick-start your creativity: use different colored pens or pencils; fill your pages with colorful doodles; anything to keep you from traveling the same worn paths in your thinking.

Your journal can be about any aspect of your creativity. You may or may not believe it at this moment, but there is no such thing as a "non-creative person". Any collection of fragments can be your repository of dreams, your prompt book for brilliant ideas, or the start of a larger creative endeavor. Don't just spend time putting a journal together; every once in a while, take it down off the shelf and read it as if you just found someone else's journal lying there (and that it was okay to look inside). The inspiration you discover may surprise you.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I think this works for Our Mind, Body & Spirit...I love these scents..if you want to make a room spray, just add a little oil into a mister with water...Spray into the air, not on beds and so on..it might stain.
~~~~~

The blend of Lavender and Grapefruit oil is good for home or the office.

Lavender creates a calm tranquil atmosphere while Grapefruit stimulates the senses and clears up stale air.
~~~~~~

I also have a small terracotta stone, that you can drop a few drops of the oil on and it makes your room smell so great.

At bedtime I use the lavender drops or spray...it calms me and relaxes me for sleep.

Try it, you might like it!

Love, Janet
Old 09-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Think on These Things

Developing your spiritual side may help keep you out of the hospital.

In a study of older adults, the study participants who had an interest in cultivating their spiritual lives tended to experience fewer hospitalizations and require less long-term care compared to peers who weren't spiritual.

Develop your spirit in the manner that fits your beliefs, be it attending religious services, meditating, or spending quiet time in nature.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky mind, body, spirit

Can anyone tell me if the Arizona gallon green tea with honey and ginseng is good for the reasons stated about green tea?

razorback 49
Old 10-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The more natural you drink Green tea the better, but if the added sweetness makes you want to drink it more...I would go for it...I drink mine plain, but I do that with all teas. I did get some Arizona Green Tea..Diet..it was god but still so sweet to me..I like the Sobe' Green tea..it tastes sharper to me.

Janet
Old 10-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wisdom Of The Sages
Honoring Our Elders
There is a reason that wisdom is associated with age. Traditionally, elders have been the wise men and women of communities. Most spiritual leaders apprentice for most of their lives before beginning their practice. In many parts of the world, elders are honored and respected for the wisdom they've gained through life experience. They are considered a valuable source of knowledge and have an important role to fulfill in passing on traditions and customs.

In many parts of the world, nursing homes for the elderly are rare. Caring for one's aging parents is considered an honor and a blessing. In other cultures it's not uncommon for three or four generations to live together under one roof. Immediate families consist of children, parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and sometimes great aunts and uncles. Such intergenerational coexistence is beneficial to all family members. There are caregivers for both young children and the elderly. And older relatives can pass down the family history to children and act as role models for younger family members.

In Native American culture, elders are appreciated for their close connection to nature and the spiritual world. They are known as "wisdomkeepers," acting as caretakers of the planet. Respected for their life experience and wisdom, African elders serve as mediators between deceased ancestors and living family members.

Honoring and respecting our elders is a way of building community and strengthening society. It helps appreciate every stage of life and view aging in a positive light. After all, hopefully we will all have the opportunity to become sages in our later years.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

You’ve got to continue to grow, or you’re just like last night’s cornbread--stale and dry.

- Loretta Lynn
Old 10-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Color Me Happy
Art Therapy
The word 'therapy' conjures up images of a lot of talking. But verbal communication is not the only way to uncover hidden emotions. Art Therapy, which uses the arts to trigger emotional healing, is an alternative way to handle a stressful time. Using a wide variety of art materials, including paints, clay and batik, individuals can create a visual representation of their feelings. As you begin to experiment with this method, you will find that the act of creating triggers long-buried emotions and allows for a very special kind of self-healing.

Healing is the only goal of art therapy, it is more concerned with the process than the result. Anyone, regardless of level of artistic experience, can benefit from its healing effects. When you were a child you didn't think you were an "artist" yet you still picked up those crayons and paints. The experience of handling the art materials coupled with the effort to follow one's creative vision slowly allows you to unwind and release pent-up fears and hidden stores of happiness. It has also been found to reduce stress when made a regular part of your schedule.

While you are working on your art, try to remain as focused on the process as possible. Peaceful background music and pretty surroundings can add to the total experience. After you have finished, examine what you have created. What colors and shapes have you chosen? What are some of the symbols in your work? Does your project have a theme? Tracking the motifs in your work can help you realize some surprising things about yourself.

Make sure to take some time to appreciate your talent. One of the healing benefits of art therapy is the boost of confidence people get when they realize what they have created. Experimenting with diverse forms of crafts can help add to the feeling of accomplishment. Try charcoals one day and then switch to bright colored paints or invest in some squishy clay and work your feelings through it. Whatever art form you choose, you will feel the therapeutic effects.