Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Health & Fitness Want to eat right? Going on a diet? Looking for the right exercise equipment? You'll find it all here, even Weight Loss Journals for those who want them!

Old 10-31-2004, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Can laughter help heal?

I have long recommended using positive thoughts as a way to lessen or prevent the effects of illness and disease. Pessimism has been linked to a higher risk of dying before age 65, while expressing positive emotions, such as optimism, is associated with lowered production of the stress hormone cortisol, better immune function, and reduced risk of chronic diseases.

If you're a pessimist - or know someone who is - try the following:

Take care of yourself by eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly and getting adequate sleep.

Express your emotional reactions honestly so you can effectively deal with what's bothering you.

Confide in someone - your mate, a good friend or a trusted relative.

View the cup as half full instead of half empty.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Make Your Home Peaceful & Calming

1. Bring the outdoors in. Green plants, cut flowers and blooming bulbs, as well as pieces of wood, rocks and other natural elements can create a feeling of nature indoors.

2.Surround your senses with beauty. Artwork, fragrance, smooth textures, and calming sounds all provide a pleasant environment in which to relax.

3.Set aside a room or area for peace and calm. A place for spiritual reflection and meditation can provide shelter from noise and distraction.

4.Clean out clutter. A low-maintenance home is refreshing after a day of hectic meetings, errands and chores. Fewer items can mean less frustration.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Feeling Blue? It May Be the Season

Seasonal Affective Disorder (also called SAD) is a type of depression that follows the seasons. The most common type of SAD, called winter depression, usually begins in late fall or early winter and normal mood returns in summer. If you have been experiencing symptoms of SAD (irritability, sadness, lethargy), visit your doctor, he/she can help.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Candles are a wonderful way to add ambience, calm and serenity to a home or office.

Their warm, soothing touch creates an inviting and comforting atmosphere.

For everyday indoor use, however, you may want to opt for unscented candles.

Some researchers note that scented candles tend to create more soot than unscented varieties - and over time this soot can accumulate in lungs and cause respiratory problems.

Scented candles may also contribute to indoor pollution.

Instead of scented varieties, use candles made of unscented beeswax, which are just as beautiful and cozy as the scented varieties.

Last edited by janet; 03-31-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a soothing and inspirational thread this is to read!

Janet, I agree with you that candles are very calming and that beeswax candles are lovely to burn. Another alternative is to burn candles that are almost soot-free like soy-veg candles. Some are scented with natural aromatherapy oils so you get the positive effects of the oils as the candle burns.

Here is one of my favourite quotes:
"You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing." Marie Carmichael Stopes 1880-1958, Author

Lorraine.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi Lorraine, Yes...I have them too...I never buy cheap candles anymore...and I love all the new smells.

Janet
Old 12-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank you, Janet, for taking the time to write all these wonderful ideas for us!!

hugs,train
Old 12-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Trainlady, I live in the North country and winter is long and the sun is absent alot...starting the end of Jan. we will get more sun..so I had to find ways to calm my senses, bring extra joy into my house, and learn to appreciate color, textures, smells more.

I try to keep fresh flowers in my house every week...I pick them up at the grocery...if you change the water and nip off the ends, I have had them last 2 weeks or more.

Seeing the bright colors and the fragrance of the flowers is very soothing to me.

I also have a sun-box...to help boost myself..I would never be without it again...the sun energizes me...lol even if it is in a box. lol

I have to try all holistic things, and keep myself in the joyful part of life..look around if you are having a bad day or feeling down...there is something you have to be thankful for..

I thank God everyday I wake up..to have another day to experience the wonders of the world, friends, and to meet new friends, even online. lol

Love,
JanetM.

Last edited by janet; 03-31-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Today's Body Tip

12/29/04

Eat Little or No Meat
The truth is, we don't need nearly as much protein as some people say we do. The USDA food pyramid says limit your protein to 2-3 servings per day. (About 5-7 ounces, cooked, is a serving -- approximately the size of your fist, or a deck of playing cards.

Or ˝ cup cooked dry beans, one egg, or two tablespoons peanut butter). Notice protein doesn't have to all come from meat, either.

Meat contains another thing that you might want to beware of and limit: saturated fat.

The fat that clogs arteries and contributes big time to coronary heart disease and a host of other health problems may not be the best regular protein choice.

Any animal protein has saturated fat. Vegetable proteins (beans, nuts) do not. But they all have fat, in general, so it's necessary to be cautious and conscious.

Use meat as a flavoring...not the main food item.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet, those are great ideas - I love having fresh flowers in the house especially in the winter - it really does lift the spirits, doesn't it?
I subscribe to a newsletter re Health issues from mercola.com; he just posted an article re winter blues that is very good. Don't forget Vitamin D!

http://www.mercola.com/2004/dec/29/winter_blues.htm

Lorraine.