Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Is it an ALLERGY, COLD or SINUS PROBLEM?

To keep you and your family healthy, it's always best to treat illness at the first sign of symptoms. However, if your symptoms persist, you may be dealing with allergies or sinus problems.

So when the sniffles hit this spring, how will you know if it's a cold, allergies, or sinus problem?

First, ask yourself a few questions:

How long have you had your symptoms? A cold usually lasts about a week.
Do you have a fever? While allergies may produce a low-grade fever, they are never accompanied by high fevers (more than 100 degrees).
Do you have a headache? Are you congested, or do you feel pressure around the eyes? This could be a sign of sinus problems.
Attached Images

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-13-2004, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ajrsmom,

I like the comparison chart you posted comparing the alergic reactions and the colds. Thanks! But I have to admit, I'm a little confused by the "sinus problem" section of the chart..

What kind of sinus problems do they think might be occuring if not caused by an alergic reaction, a cold, or a bacterial infection that would be secondary to one of these two?...

Do you recall where the chart came from? Did they give any tips as to what other things can cause sinus troubles like those described in the chart? I'd sure like to check out the website if you can remember it.. Thanks!

Val
Old 03-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Val, I actually copied this from an ad that I received in my email. Im beating my brain trying to remember what the ad was for.........it was for some kind of medicine I believe but which one I cant remember. Im sorry that I forgot to post a link for the site. I was having a hard time getting the list to print and I forgot all about posting the source and of course Ive cleaned out all of my old emails already. If I come across the ad again, I will repost it. As for the post, If you feel that it doesnt hold enough info., go ahead and delete it. Its not right for me to post partial info and not have a source to back it up.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tami,

I don't think we should delete this post. The comaprison between colds and allergies is great.. and now knowing the chart came as part of an ad campaign explains a lot. It's amazing what advertisers will do to sell a product..even if the product is a medication we might not even need...

Problems with your sinuses in medical terms is called "sinusitis" or inflamation of the sinuses...

Sinusitis is basically caused by irritants, or infections. The irritants can be allergens, or other environmental factors ... like air polution. The infections can be viral, bacterial, or in rare cases fungal in nature.

"Sinus problems" don't exist as a seperate catagory... So the chart that the drug company provided in the e-mail ad was misleading, and probably intended to sell their brand of "sinus medication".

I think it's interesting how manufacturers will use advertising to sell their products..(even medications).. buy creating a need that doesn't really exist... such as trying to make us believe the seperate "sinus problem" catagory on their chart, so that we'll believe we need a special medication.

Here are a couple of links to information pages about "sinus problems"

http://www.ent-consult.com/

http://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/sick/sinuses.html

The first is to a medical website, the second for a kid's education website. Both are interesting in different ways.

Val
Old 03-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for the links. They are full of a lot of useful information.

I suffer from sinus problems usually twice a year due to allergies and dust---usually during weather changes here in Pa. With all of the sickness my family has had lately, Ive had ear infections turn into sinus infections.

There was some interesting info. about sinus headaches in the first link above.

The kids link, looks to be very useful too. Im going to save it and check it out more indepth tomorrow.

Thanks!
Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You know, I was re-redng my post..(which I wrote late at night)

And it occured to me that I looked like I was saying that sinus problems don't exist! LOLOL!!

Well, I know they exist.. I have them!

The point I was bringing up was that they are not some seperate entity, ... But what got me riled up, was...That's what the chart made it seem like to me....

Sinus problems are really a complication of the first two conditions on the chart.." LOL..

OY!... anyway...

Maybe I should learn to be quiet sometimes...

LOL.. Val
Old 03-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Val, No! I dont think that you should be quiet. You gave me a new way of looking at this. I can understand exactly what you were saying.

Tami

PS....Boy oh boy can I relate to writing late at night, LOL! Sometimes I will reread what Ive written and wonder what it was that I was really trying to say. ;-)

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus