Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-29-2003, 05:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tinnitus

I was very interested to see this subject line. I have suffered from continuous tinnitus in my right ear since 1990 when I suffered what is called a "perilymphatic fistula of the round window" In easier terms, somehow a small tear occurred in one of the membranes that separates the middle ear from the inner ear. The inner ear fluid leaked out causing a disturbance in the inner ear which resulted in tinnitus. The interesting and odd thing was that I was a Masters student in Audiology at the time this occurred. My tinnitus sounds like a bunch of high pitched wind chimes constantly tinkling. I have learned to live with it and it usually doesn't bother me too much unless I am in a crowded situation and trying to listen to several conversations or noises at once. I check on-line every once in a while to see if there is any new research indicating a possilbe "cure," but as you all know, nothing is out there yet.

Mary
Old 06-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I just read in a magazine that they are trying anti-depressants on some patients. You might want to talk to your dr. about that.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mary30824- I can't believe you live in Thomson Ga.! That is where my son lives, we just came back from a visit. Considering how small Thomson is, it really IS a small world

By the way, I gave my husband everyone's input, which is most appreciated. I guess the best thing is, at least there are other people who really know how aggravating tinnitus can be.
He mentioned that he sleeps well since he started using ear plugs. I don't know if that will help anyone else, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Crickets never stop!

I don't know how long I've had these crickets in my ear, but I remember complaining about it years ago when I just thought it was ringing. Now I know it's like crickets chirpping all day & all night.
I went to my daughter's ENT and he had me come back for a hearing test. My hearing was pretty normal, but he said I had a hard time hearing the high pitches. Well, of course, that's cause it's already in my ear, silly! He had me take an MRI cause he said that sometimes when you can't hear high pitches you may have a tumor behind your ears. The MRI came out good, at least I know I don't have cancer. I've already had a tumor taken off my brain, so I was very happy with the news.
The Dr. gave me a script for Dyazide. Then my blood pressure went too low and I had to see my Internist. My DD went with me to all these visits. I'm still not back on my blood pressure pill, but the Internist gave me a script for a lower drug than Dyazide. The ENT is thinking that if it's fluid, which he said I didn't have on the first visit, but now he's giving me the lower dose the Internist wanted me on.
I've got to find something to get this out of my ears. I thought I had simple ear wax, but no luck, no wax. I have the TV on constantly day and night. I fall asleep with the TV on. I am a big Coke drinker, so I will try to get off or limit the amount and see if it can be the Coke.
Anyway, if any of you found an answer to the chirping, ringing or whatever, PLEASE let me know. Thanks loads!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

crichets

Hi there, yes as you might have seen in the previous posts that is exactly what my Tinitus is like. If I start thinking about it, it nearly drives me crazy. Some nights it is so bad that I take a mild sleeping tablet to get to sleep.

I find that I can't sleep with the radio on because I just lay and listen to it and never sleep.

It is sooo annoying but there seems to be no cure whatsoever at the present time. At least you know lots of things you don't have.

Jennifer
Old 09-17-2003, 08:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is in response to Georgieanna about drinking lots of Coke. You don't have to give it up, just switch to the caffine free Coke, and caffine free coffee, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Nine Year Member

I wanted to bump this thread up and see if there is anything new out here because for the past 4 months my dh has had this and it is getting annoyingly worse.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-25-2007, 07:29 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

I too suffer from tinnitis.
It seems that during the day when the tv or radio is on the high pitched constant screech isn't so loud, but when its quiet its very loud. Sometimes when it is extremely loud I can't hear someone talking to me unless they are practically on top of my ear.
I should see an ENT but thats an expensive I can't afford right now.
Ear pluigs haven't woked for me. And I can't sleep with the tv or radio on, they keep me awake. I'd be willing to try a sound macine if I could find one with rain or crickets chirping, I love both those sounds.