Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Laser eye surgery

Has anyone had laser eye surgery? I am thinking about this and would love to hear from anyone who has experienced it.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had lasik in Feb. 2000 and couldn't be happier. I dont' miss messing with contact lens' at all. I can see the alarm clock first thing in the morning. And trees actually have leaves. My vision has been 20/25 and 20/20 since the first month.

Let me know what specific questions you have and I would be happy to help.

PS- I can wear regular sunglasses too................I'm sure there are many more advantages that I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Old 09-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

sugarspicenpuppytails.....I would love to say that my lasik eye surgery turned out as well as Missy's. However, that is NOT the case. I had mine done in only one eye in Chicago (200 miles from me) 3 years ago. After the surgery, everything was very blurry. It didn't improve in a years time, so I had it re-done one year later. The second time, they took too much off, and now the eye is TERRIBLE. I have been to the best local doctors, and they say that nothing can be done to improve my vision. They made me four different pairs of glasses, and I could not see with them. They refuse to do the surgery again, because as I said, the first doctor removed too much tissue. All that money spent, only to end up with WORSE vision than I started with. Choose your doctor very carefully, and make sure you have it done locally in case there are complications to deal with.
Good luck to you.
Rose
Old 09-14-2002, 02:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

i love my lasik eyes! It took a while after the surgery for my vision to stabilize, but my coke bottle glasses and hard contacts (too much astigmatism for soft ones) are GONE!
We did not choose a doctor by price, but by reputation and follow up care. Everything to do with my eye surgery, including "redo's" if I wanted them, was included. You have to have frequent checkups, so for pete's sake don't go to Canada for a $199 job, with no aftercare!
Remember, as you age, your lenses change, so you will probably still need reading glasses at some point.
Old 09-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I never experienced laser eye surgery, but my son did after having thick glasses since he was in 3rd grade and contacts at 11yrs old. He went to Canada and had it done about 3 years ago, and it cost him then $999 for both eyes. Both eyes turned out great and he has not had any problems with either eye. He is 28 now. I guess it just depends on the person and how serious the eyesight is and the others are right about selecting a good Dr. Most eye surgerons these days are well trained and licensed for this procedure, but I would check with people who have had this done with the doctor you choose, by asking those you know, and ask the staff or Dr. how many he has done, you have that right. Any surgery is risky no matter what it is, even cataract surgery. Good Luck
Old 09-14-2002, 03:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Laser eye surgery

Why do you need eye surgey? I have heard good results and bad results. I have cataracts, but have them for 5 years, the dr. says they are not ripe enough for surgery, which I don't want
any way. I take vitamins, luetin and billberyy everyday and see fine with my glasses. I am 68 years old and paint and read alot. I have dry eyes so use over the counter dry tear drops when I need them. I would get a second opinion, if you are diabetic be careful, as many surgeries leave scar tissue and blindnness.
I hope and pray the best for you.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

To Sunflower

Sunflower, you say you have cataracts and they are not ripe enough, well eventually they will ripen and will have to come out. The surgery is a snap and the only thing most people don't like is the drops for the post surgery. My husband had one done last year and is only 57 now and is getting ready in Oct. for the second. Last year it wasn't ripe, but took only a year to ripen as he can hardly see through it now. He is as big a baby as most men, but skated through it fine, and even remembered to put the drops in himself. The whole procedure takes about 15 min and there is nothing to it. So don't cheat yourself out of good eye care. I even had a 90 yr old patient who just had it done and she did great. So don't be afraid. By the way Luetin and vitamins, while good for you, won't delay the onset of cataracts. Most Dr.s can't tell you why we get them, but it is somewhat clear that repeated longterm exposure to sunlight and smoking play a big part in how soon you get them, and there can be other factors also. If we live long enough we will get them.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:57 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pro's & Cons

My sister had the Lasix done about 8 weeks ago and her vision is far worse now that it was before. Now keep in mind that she went to a "cheap" doctor that she'd found out of town who had never seen her before and wasn't familiar with her history or her eyes. She has always suffered from severe dry-eye syndrome and hence when they removed the lense, it shriveled and would not lay back down smooth and flat.

My dear cousin had hers done a month ago from a reputable doctor in Houston who requested all of her medical records, did extensive testing and then and only then would they except her based on this history and findings. Hers came out wonderful and she loves the improved vision.

Do keep in mind that this is not a permanent solution and eventually you will have to use reading glasses and with age you may have to wear glasses again later on. It's just nature.

I'm hope that I've been able to offer you some insight.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I did go to Surrey, Canada, as well as about 15 other people I know. We all had good results. ant the price was right $999 for both eyes.

I recommend talking to others who have had it done by the Dr. you choose.

Good luck!!!
Missy

Old 09-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

lasik surgery

Earlier I stated that my lasik surgery turned out terrible and that I had it done twice (by the same dr.) I wanted to say that I did not go to a 'cheap' dr., although I know there are plenty of them out there. I paid $1,200 for one eye. I went to this Dr. in Chicago because there were lots of people in my son's office in Chicago that recommended him highly, so I chose him. Evidently I was not a good candidate for some reason or he just simply goofed with me. The bad thing is this....my vision was not that bad before the surgery. I wanted lasik just because I hated wearing glasses as they always slid down on my very small bridge nose, and the lenses were always getting dirty. Before the lasik, I could read the newspaper 'want ads' and the telephone book easily without glasses of any kind. Now I can't read 1/2" print up close. My distance vision wasn't that bad either, although glasses did sharpen how I saw movies and tv a little.
Now everything is a blurry mess, both close up and far away. I realize that there are MANY people out there that have successful stories to tell. I only want those of you that are considering it to realize that things CAN go wrong. By the way, the last I heard about this 'terrific' dr. in Chicago is that there was 38 lawsuits against him. I should be one of them, but I have never sued anyone in my life.
I sincerely hope that whoever has the lasik done has great results with it.