Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-15-2002, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had lasik surgery done in 1997 and must say it is one of the best things I have done for myself. Let me know if you need any particulars.
Diane
Old 09-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member

Question Cataract Surgery

My DH had cataracts taken out in both eyes. He is so happy he had them done. All Doctors make you sign a sheet that they do not guarantee the results. There is always a chance of complications so they cover themselves. When the time comes that you feel you cannot see well enough to get thru everyday routines then it is time to get them done. You do not have to wait until they are ripe any more. We never know how our health will be next year so do not put it off to long. Sueanne
Old 09-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had lasik surgery a few years ago and could not be happier. I spoke to my regular optomatrist about it and he told me to check around. After questioning people and Drs i finally found one I felt comfortable with. One of the questions I asked is how many laser surgeries had the Dr done...the office I ended up going to was the one with the most upfront answers to all of my questions. They are the ones that told me not to ask how many laser surgeries, but how many LASIK surgeries, since all laser surgeries fall under the same umbrella. These include cataract sureries and others that are far different from the lasik. My eyes ended up costing far more than some of the other places, $5200.00 for both. But that price was well worth it. I had a list of people to contact, not just the great result ones. Also a lifetime of eye care and a lifetime redo if I ever need to have them done again.
As for my sight It is great. I love not having glasses slide down my nose. Just being able to do things and not have to take them off is great. I could never wear contacts due to an astigmatism. I have sent many people to the same Dr, some could have it done and others were told to never have it done since the results would not be good at all.
Sorry so long. Hope this helps out.
Good Luck
Patti
Old 09-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks to everyone for your insight.

Sunflower, I don't NEED Lasik but I would like to get it done. I wore glasses from 8-14 then contacts from 14-30. At 30, my eyes could barely stand contacts anymore and that has not gotten better in the last 4 years. I need glasses to see. I HATE wearing glasses. On top of the discomfort, the forever dirty lenses, not being able to see while swimming etc...., glasses do not suit me well and this bothers me.

Prices in Canada...I am Canadian and proud to be. I have never heard of a clinic willing to do LASIK for 999$ never mind 199$ - where are these places? Where I live in central Canada, the prices are very similar from one clinic to another and they are all over 1000$ PER EYE. Also, I believe it is quality care since I know three people who were refused the surgery - most recently my sister-in-law who was denied a few weeks ago.

Anyway, since the info here is so varied I'll be researching this further. Everyone I've personally met has great results which is why I posted this thread - I wanted to see if anyone had had bad experiences - and I got my answer.

Thanks again. I hope to get even more replies!
Old 09-15-2002, 10:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

laser surgery is an umbrella term, as there are many different types of laser treatments for the eye.

lasik is only ONE Of the laser treatments, and only ONE of the treatments for refractive surgery.

lasik, like any of the other refractive surgeries, might not the best for everyone, but it is a good procedure for many.

the other side of the coin is being the right patient for the procedures -- most people are ok, but some might have problems that make them less-likely-to-succeed patients. and of course, no matter who you are, if you are turning old enough to need reading glasses, that will happen sooner or later, with or without the laser treatment (it won't help your presbyopia)

the complication rate for the procedure is not really high, it is just that one often starts with 'not so bad, except ...' then because of the complication, becomes 'really bad'. in other words, this is rarely a life and death type of procedure so when things go wrong, it's more devastating. (if you are about to die from cancer, have surgery done and develop complications, you are likely to go around saying, 'well we tried' but not feel so bad.)

no matter what the doctor says about how simple the procedure is (as it is a simple procedure!), it is a surgical procedure with risks. so think about it, go to SEVERAL doctors to get their opinions regarding your case, and then pray on it a bit, and THEN decide for yourself.

TAKE CARE!!