Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Home-remedy for earaches??

Does anyone have a home-remedy for occasional earaches? I get them from time to time and would like to try something natural or herbal. Or if anyone knows of a good otc med, that would be good, too.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here are some home remedies for earaches. I want to note that I have not personally tried any.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mullein oil (which contains organic alcohol)
Garlic cloves

Warm a small amount of the mullein - CAUTION! not to hot! place 3 drops into ears gently rub each ear place a small piece of garlic wrapped in a cotton ball into ear Do this up to three times a day for 3 to 4 days

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To help open your Eustachian tubes and keep them drained, try the following: Sleep with your head propped up

Take a hot shower the steam will help to break up and soften earwax buildup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mullein flowers
Olive oil
Garlic cloves

Put about a cup of the mullein flowers in a cup of olive oil in a small pan. The olive oil should cover the flowers. Heat this at a very low temperature for several hours, remembering that you only want to extract the beneficial elements from the mullein, not cook it. Put several cloves of garlic in the batch for the second hour. When you can smell the fragrance of the mullein, cool the mixture and strain it well. When you are ready to use it, shake it and use a dropper to put 5-10 drops into the outer ear. Keep your head tilted to allow the oil to penetrate, then you can place a piece of cotton in your ear to keep the oil from leaking out onto your clothing or your pillow.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks! I'll give it a try next time I get an earache. Sounds like it would be better than trying to keep a hot washcloth over my ear!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

When I was a child I had ear aches so bad that Mother and I spent many sleepless nights. I remember that she would heat oil (don't know if it was olive or not) and drop some in my ear. That was one of the most soothing things I remember from when I was little. Not long ago I had terrible ear aches when had Bells Palsy and Oh how I wished for her to put those drops of warm oil in my ears. I didn't think that it was still an okay thing to do or I would have had my dd or dh put them in for me. :mad: Now I know that it is okay the next time I have one or my grd have one.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:26 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have also heard that charcoal poultices work well (although I have not personally tried it, have a good friend who swears it works on both her and her infant daughter)
Sorry, I don't know the application or anything, but you could probably find out somewhere onthe web!
Old 07-27-2002, 05:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My father would always treat his earaches/ear infections by dripping hydrogen peroxide in each ear, waiting 10-15 seconds for it to foam away, then tipping his head to do the other side. I tried this method for the first time while on a camping trip and having only aspirin and the hydrogen peroxide from the first aid kit to use for my extremely painful ear. I did this every 1/2 hour for 3 hours before falling asleep. I repeated 4 times the following day and then visited my doctor on the third day after returning home. The pain was almost completely gone by the time I saw my doctor and he said the infection was clearing up. He gave me a prescription for antibiotics, but I continued with the h.p. for two more days and never did fill the presciption. I have used this method ever since and never have had to use antibiotics. When my children were little and woke in the middle of the night with ear pain, I would drip some SLIGHTLY warm olive oil in each ear, warm two wet wash clothes in the microwave, push them into the bottom of two plastic cups, and hold the cups over each of my baby's ears. The combination of the oil and the warmth from the cloths really soothed them until the tylenol I'd given them kicked in. I would, of course, take them to the doctor in the morning, but this really helped get us through the night. Just be very, very, VERY careful not to get the washcloths or oil so hot that they could burn. Test them on your wrist before using. I also used the hydrogen peroxide with them along with the antibiotics. They never had an ear infection recur right away, as children often have happen. One tip--the h.p. will bubble and ,as a result, tickle inside the ear. If your child cries or fusses, it isn't because it hurts but because it tickles/itches. Check this with your doctor, but mine has always been okay with it. He says that anything safe that works without using antibiotics is okay with him as long as his patients check in and make sure the infection has cleared.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

earaches

:mad: For earaches we use garlic oil. It is made by putting fresh unopened olive oil in a sterilized jar and cruched garlic. Leave sit in a cupboard for a month. Strain and put a couple of drops in sore ear put in cotten ball. Go to bed and so far everyone here has been better in the morning.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ear aches

I have a teen age cousin that has had ear aches since she was an infant. I suggested to her mom that a small amount of cotton with some lavender oil in the ear might help. She still uses it to this day if she gets one. Some people that are fair skinned, or red heads, may need to cut the oil 25-50% with sweet almond oil. Melalueca Oil, or Tee Tree, is also good, but may need to be cut as well.
Good luck! Remember, your local health food store is usually a wealth of info on many topics!
Old 07-28-2002, 05:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My mom always used warm sweet oil to put in ours, then just stick some cotton in to keep it in there. Lay with that ear up for several minutes, that helps keep it in there too.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Garlic Oil

People in my church swear by garlic oil. (Did I say "swear"? Oh my!!) So when my little girl was at the Drs. for the seventh time with the same infection, I asked if there was any danger in trying it. He gave me the go ahead. I just bought garlic oil pills at Wal-Mart. My screaming 18 month old was put in a thigh hold on the floor while I squirted this in. She immediately stopped her crying and turn her head so that I could do the other ear. We did this 3 times a day. She would run and get the small lap pad and lay on the floor every time I held up the garlic pill. ( I broke the pill with a needle.) When I went to see the Drs. the ear infection was gone. (After being on four different antibiotics.)
I have kids that are now allergic to some antibiotics, so I think that this might be a relevant choice for some.

Sue