Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have not been officially diganosed but I can feel that something is not rite. I don't like the idea of going on medicaiton, but I am going to talk to my Dr. about one that I just read about. It is called Zeinorm.
I hate the feeling of being bloated. I honestly think that I could go for days without eating when I feel like that, but when I don't eat, my kids worry. I really avoid fast foods, chips, salty foods as much as possible. Whenever I eat fast food (which is like less than once a week), I drink a lot of water. I also have tried to increase my salad intake. I am interested in any other suggestions from others! Yuck!
Old 11-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

Hi,
I don't have IBS but I have heard a lot of people talking about it.
I understand if you eat 3 or 4 Archway brand Macaroon cookies a day this really helps a lot. I am not sure of it and have no proof. It certainly would be worth a try I would think. You just never know about those Home Remedies. It possibly could be one of the ingred. used in them.
I do hope this helps.
Kat
Old 11-09-2002, 03:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing IBS

I have had IBD...the D is for Disease, the S stands for Syndrome for those who don't know anyway, since last December. Before that I probably had the syndrome, but just tried to avoid emotional upsets because that was when it would hit. In December it accelerated and through January..my food stayed 15 minutes round the clock..until I finally got a referral from the internist to a gastroenterologist. I am on 2 Asacol three times a day and 3 Citrucel caplets twice a day. I have fruit once a day and don't eat cereal but otherwise so far, my main trigger is emotional. If I take my medication religiously on schedule, then I tend to stay on schedule pretty well. My daughter has had IBS for years and her son has it also. It does tend to run in families. Anyone who wants to e-mail me, please feel free to do so.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello Cafe & All,
There is some great info at the following web site: http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1680.51485
on IBS.

I've suffered from this for a couple of years and the doctor never diagnosed it correctly. I've since discovered that my symptoms flare up when I eat certain foods like blue cheese, anything with cream, whole milk, cream cheese, any greasy foods, etc. If I'm nervous I'll expect it to flare up too. Maalox Max and Imodium (taken together) works great for me when my symptoms kick in!
Old 11-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had IBS when I was a senior in high school through my first year of college. It was horrible. I'm positive the problem was brought on by self-induced stressed - I used to worry/imagine the worst things and my mind would go! I'd get nervous on dates and had to have the poor guys bring me home - and then I'd end up in the bathroom! In college I was in the bathroom for over and hour and still couldn't go...but had to. And what was making it worse was that I was wondering what my friends were wondering about me...and that was making me nervous! Jeez. So if yours is from nerves like mine, chill out. I'm 40 now. I got over IBS when I was in my second year of college. I joined karate, hung out with a group of people that were fun, and I ate anything I wanted. It was a very good and healing time in my life. Fun and friends and exercise = healing! hee hee

I took some medication back then and it helped somewhat, but I still had troubles. Maalox was like my comfort medicine. I ate a bland diet for the most part. Rice, bread, no spices, no soda, no coffee or tea (no caffeine). Constipation was a big huge problem for me. But talk to your doctor. I'm sure a whole grain diet instead of just a bland white-rice/white-bread diet, and some flax seeds would work well. Give your body a rest and eat gently - pamper it with healing and easy foods. Avoid meats and sugars as much as possible, and eat lots of nicely cooked vegetables and grains. A diet like this will help you deal with stress better too.

Read a book! Dale Carnegie's "How to Stop Worrying and Live Life" is an excellent book! I'm reading it now...had it on the shelf for years and never read it and should have long long ago. I'll bet you will find one thing in there to help you let that stress and worry go so you can heal.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

IBS

I have had IBS for years, and since the diagnosis by my doctor and following her suggestions, I have had very little trouble with it. The primary recommendation from her was to eat a high fiber diet and to keep my fiber intake fairly constant each day. It was the high one day, low the next that was causing me the most problems. So I eat lots of whole grain breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables. The only things I avoid are caffeine, carbonated beverages and too much refined sugars (I still eat some, but try to keep it to a minimum). And I do drink lots and lots of water every day (I read somewhere that you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day - i.e. a 120 lb. person should drink 60 oz. of water a day). I initially tried taking some fiber pills each day (my doctor had suggested it), like fibercon or citrocel, but found that they didn't help me very much. Now I take whole food supplements everyday that contain all the fiber that was in the foods. They are made by a company called Juice Plus, and have really helped me in all areas of my health, not just the IBS. And no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way. Hope that helps you!

Jane
Old 11-09-2002, 06:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've had undiagnosed IBS on and off for a few years. I have found that eating a bunch of fiber and trying to not stress out have helped. But I did want to mention one food that sends me to the potty every time....anything with oat! I know, its supposed to be healthy, but it kills me. I don't have the dairy triggers...I tried the oat cereals without milk to make sure. Go figure!

Old 11-09-2002, 07:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What is IBS?

What exactly is IBS? As long as I can remember my mother has had major gas and blotting problems. She is always burping and passing gas and running to the bathroom. Growing up I was always so embarrassed of her but she said she could not help it. She is always sick and has an upset tummy. I had my third child about 3 months ago and since then have had all of these problems. Now I am embarrassed of myself. I am so uncomfortable and have the runs all of the time. Is this IBS? Please let me know if this sounds right. If it is I may have found a solution. I have always done the somersize diet after my other children. I have just started it again and have noticed that I NEVER have the gas and constant bloating that I always have. If this sounds like IBS maybe somersizing may help others! Emily
Old 11-09-2002, 11:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Check the web site www.firstyearibs.com. It has the best up to date info I've found on the internet. Including info about the meds mentioned on this thread. There are a couple books about how to eat, particularly fiber. There are good fibers and bad fibers for IBS. I found that very interesting.

I want to mention something about the bloating, etc. that have been mentioned in this thread. My mother has suffered with what she called spastic colon for over 20 years. I had never had that problem with my IBS. Well recently (Sept.) she started having these problems and it was worse than any other time. She saw him the next morning and he admitted her to the hospital with diverticulitis. My point is that some of the symptoms mimic IBS and if you haven't been "officially" diagnosed with IBS you may want to have it all checked out.

I was diagnosed with IBS in 93'. I haven't had too many attacks lately. I found that if you don't let yourself go too long without eating it really helps. Just eat small meals through out the day. But there are foods that will trigger it, so there are some cautions for what you eat.

Let me know what you think about the web site.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've had IBS since high school--about 20 years ago. Back then, it was triggered by stress, such as having a big test or speech to do. (The teachers got used to me asking to go to the bathroom.)

Since then, I've had times when I went for months with no attack. Then I'll have periods when I have several a week. Sometimes I can pick out the foods that trigger it, but the trigger foods change from time to time. For a while it was tomatoes--couldn't eat pizza or spaghetti. But it doesn't bother me now. Then for a while, anytime I would eat a big meal and get full, I knew I was going to have trouble. But that hasn't bothered me for a while now either. I've found that drinking plenty of water always helps, and especially exercize. And I ALWAYS have to stay away from caffeine.

The disease is different for everyone, and the trigger foods and treatments are different for everyone too. You just have to be conscious of what you are eating, and listen to what your body is telling you.

Janey